The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered this little beastie today:
should match the Elise in hp to weight, smoke it in lateral G's.
CRG Kali with Rotax 125.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
good move Jim.
selling the lotus for this will help your driving skills for the skippy series much more than using the lotus and worring about another on track biff.
Looks like your going to have a blast with it!!!
fishguy

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I like that kind of downsizing. Much better than the downsizing going on in American businesses lately. I thought it was another one of those threads.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Should have bought a Tony Kart. :) Their new chassis smokes the CRG right out of the box. No "black magic" tuning skills required.

Call Peter Hutter at Ocala Grand Prix. He was profiled last month in Grass Roots Motorsports and was recently the Florida state champion in TaG. You can get private lessons from him (or buy a CRG or Tony Kart) in a $9000 beautifully prepared kart, one of the best bargains in the country.
If you are a novice, they break you in on the concession karts, then move you into the TaG karts. If the G's from that doesn't bruise you sufficiently, you can move on to the shifter karts. The most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Met Yohann this weekend at Road Atlanta, he owns and manages Endurance Karting. This is another great venue for getting started in karting. Check out their website as a great source for information and east coast events. Best deal is to find a few friends and sign up for the 6 hour Enduros, only need to have a driver's license. A school usually precedes the events on Friday, but is not mandatory. The karts are Honda powered and only 9 HP, pretty forgiving.

NOT for the faint of heart though (W2W kart racing at 100 MPH), rumor has it that someone was decapitated in a karting racing event at Road Atlanta last month. :eek:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Should have bought a Tony Kart. :) NOT for the faint of heart though (W2W kart racing at 100 MPH), rumor has it that someone was decapitated in a karting racing event at Road Atlanta last month. :eek:
The downside of kart racing.....

·
Registered
547 Posts
what do those things go for? i've been enjoying doing some indoor karting, seems like owning one would be a good way to practice racing cheaply.

The only thing i'm worried about though...is karting inherently "gay"? i mentioned that i went indoor karting to my roommate and she asked if i was 8. i tried to explain that it is quite a bit cooler than that, but it got me thinking.

it reminds me of this girl i was seeing last year when i got my car, i told her i got a lotus elise and she said "oh, i think my hairdresser has one of those" MAMMA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have been wanting to get a Kart of some sort for years.

Everytime I try to dive in and research it just all seems so confusing!

I've thought about just buying a brand new one outright but
I read so much about buying a used one 1st, etc., etc....

Could you guys shed some light on purchasing a brand new one
outright, etc. for an interested noobie?
Can you just order from some of the places above and have them
shipped to you?

Great looking Kart though!
I did the shifter kart school at Bondurant a couple years back in a Tony Kart and it was, as said above, pretty much the most fun I've had with my clothes on!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what do those things go for? i've been enjoying doing some indoor karting, seems like owning one would be a good way to practice racing cheaply.

The only thing i'm worried about though...is karting inherently "gay"? i mentioned that i went indoor karting to my roommate and she asked if i was 8. i tried to explain that it is quite a bit cooler than that, but it got me thinking.

it reminds me of this girl i was seeing last year when i got my car, i told her i got a lotus elise and she said "oh, i think my hairdresser has one of those" MAMMA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OK, first of all who cares what other people think? Secondly, most of the guys that are serious into karting around here are good-ole-boys that are big into stock car racing. Most people thought the Elise was "gayer" than a go-kart. Again, who cares?
The beauty of karting is it is cheap seat-time and real (very competitive) racing.
I'm relatively new to karting myself, I've set my son up in a kart and raced rentals. Last year I tested my friend's TaG and that set the hook! As fast as the Elise to 60 mph and 2.5 lateral G's in the "toilet bowl" at 61 Kartway.
I will have slightly more than $7000 in my kart when it's all said and done.
The dollar is weak against the euro right now so that has pushed prices up a bit.

·
Registered
799 Posts
+1 on the who cares part!

It seems to be the same in this area when it comes to the people that are into karting. Most seem to be very hard working, blue collar, family oriented people. It does seem to be a hard group to break into though, in a way.

If I may ask, $7000 was out the door for a turnkey setup?
That doesn't seem TOO bad!

·
Registered
11,221 Posts

Matt, that's called "ignorance" on her part. The karting we do improves driver skills and makes us safer and allows us to maximize performance in our Elises.

It's not kiddie karting or bumper cars, especially the kind that's being talked about in this thread. Those karts can go, depending upon model etc., 150+ mph!

Show her a good youtube video of karting and then ask her what she thinks :p

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I may ask, $7000 was out the door for a turnkey setup?
That doesn't seem TOO bad!
yes, with motor, tires and Mychron 4. Leaves me plenty left over for stand and safety equipment.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah, I know guys, I was mostly joking. I don't really care either...

I think buying a kart would be a great way to get some race experience somewhat cheaply.

Hmm now just to figure out how to tow it behind my elise

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
arrived from Italy last week. :clap: Still in the box awaiting ass'bly, awaiting Mychron 4 and a few other misc. parts. Hopefully will get it assembled and scaled by next weekend. now if it would just warm up.......

·
Registered
232 Posts
I bought my son (14 years old at the time) the same kart last year, and drove it a couple of times myself. The kart is very physical ... exhausting. The elise is a limo by comparison. My son is fast and can put in hours a day ... I'm old and ready to retire to the elise after 15 or 20 minutes.

We drive at the Autobahn in Joliet, Illinois. It's interesting to watch the karters arrive. They drive up in Astons and Ferrari's then hop into their karts for some real racing. It's hard core.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes, they are physically very demanding. I'm training hard for this season: more cardio and stretching. Hope this old back makes it the whole season.
BTW, I have a patient in Master's TaG who is 72 years old!, he used to race a TR3. He claims he has no back pain whatsoever!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts