The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think that I got hooked on drag racing last friday.

That was much cooler than I ever thouhgt it would be :)

I fastest run was a 16.56 @ 82.3 mph :cool:

Now I need to build a drag car!

So what sort of times have the rest of you run?

The Veil side R34 was out there....he ran a 8.63 @ 161 mph!!:eek: Now that was COOL!!!

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Have you tried ProSolo then?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randy Chase said:
Have you tried ProSolo then?
Not yet, But I am very excited to do that this year.

January of 02 was my first time autocrossing, I just wanted to get my feet wet, but now I want to jump right on in :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gunnar said:
So what sort of times have the rest of you run?
I ran both my Prelude and Integra at California Speedway (Dragway) before. 15.7xx for the Prelude with a mis-shift from 2nd to 3rd, and 15.3xx for the Integra with the stock 15" wheels on.

You gotta try ProSolo...fun but a little intense for some 'cuz you're not just concentrating on your driving, but also your launching. :p

·
Registered
118 Posts
15.8 with no traction street tires. I never could do it with my stickier wider shorter AutoX tires because I'd bounce off the speed limiter (I've got to be one fastest vehicles out there when it comes to 0 to speed limiter time.). But now I've devised a by pass, I think I can get into the lower half of the 15s. All 4200lbs of me.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is smokin Vincent!

I know that I need to work on my launch, and I think that I figured out where to drop the clutch, but that was not untill my last run:( Oh well, better luck next time. I was thinking about going sometime soon, but I want to wait till after this season is over, you never know what might break, and Aaron A. made it a bit too close for comfort by doing as well as he did at Norton :eek: I was not very happy with myself there. Just a bad day I guess :(

So I gess that I will be back out at LACR on the 20th of december to take another wack at it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You have to remember the correction factor for LACR. 0.9679 for time and 1.033 for speed. So, your 16.56 @ 82.3 would be 16.03 @ 85mph. There is no correction factor published for CA Speedway, although at 1100 feet above sea level it should have one.

One of Darryl and my friends runs his turbo Protege at LACR and keeps adding the correction factor. For turbo cars that aren't at the volumetric limit of their turbos at sea level, they aren't losing HP at such a low altitude, and in fact may be faster due to less aerodynaic drag.

My Protege ran a 16.753 @ 79.746 on my best LACR run. But the Altima is a much better drag racer. At LACR, my best was a 14.882 @ 92 mph, and it was about 100 degrees at the time. One of these days, I've got to run down at Carlsbad and see what it will do at sea level.:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
i have only been once, still had all my stereo stuff and my 16" anchors, but ran a 16.9 @ 81mph.

Have since upgraded some parts, down to lighter 15" wheels and will leave the sub box in the pits next time :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
woodrufj said:
Lets all do a drag racing day. Maybe sometime after the holidays.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota
First drag racing at Carlsbad.

Then kart racing at Dromo.

Then year end banquet in HB.

All in one day.

After that, none of us will ever want to see each other again! :)

J/K

-la (do I get to run my shifter kart?)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Larry Andrews said:

First drag racing at Carlsbad.

Then kart racing at Dromo.

Then year end banquet in HB.

All in one day.

After that, none of us will ever want to see each other again! :)

J/K

-la (do I get to run my shifter kart?)
Sounds like a fun filled day to me! :cool:

Count me in!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Larry, you can run your kart at the Irwindale 1/8 mile. When I was there, there were some racing quads, and the announcer said that snowmobiles were also welcome.

I think the 1/8 mile would be better for a kart anyway. Probably have to gear it to 90-100mph (since I was doing a launch-traction limited 75mph in the Altima).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try racing here is Salt Lake, elevation about 4500 ft. Those of you have gone to Wendover know how it is, about a 12-15% power loss due to no air. Wendover and Salt Lake are nearly the same elevation. The "big boys" don't even like to come here. About the only place higher in altitude is Bandemere Raceway near Denver.
By the way, my son has a '99 Neon, and his best up here so far is 14.3 at 92 mph. He cheats. We put a turbo on it several months ago, and he replaced the exhaust. He enjoyed it for almost 3 weeks before he broke a ring (probably the top compression).
He's slalomed it twice up here, dead last in STS both times. But he still wants to autocross, so even though he's turned to the "Dark Side", there is still a glimmer of hope.
By the way, if any of you need something to do in the late summer (not very likely), come on up and try to join the 130 MPH club at the Bonneville Salt Flats (No, it's NOT like joining the mile-high club :D ). It's basically a 1-mile long drag race, the idea being to go between 130-140 at the end. Standing start, measure speed at the end of the mile. Faster than 140 is like "breaking out" when running brackets. You will be actually driving on the salt, and it happens in late summer. :cool:
If any of you are interested in this facet of the automobile scene, you can visit:

http://www.saltflats.com/

I've been tempted to take the GS430 out and "see what she'll do", but have chickened out so far.

Bucky

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
datsunbucky said:

...It's basically a 1-mile long drag race, the idea being to go between 130-140 at the end...
I cant get to 130 EVER!!!! My speed limiter kicks in at 125. I have to find a way to get rid of that thing! :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Gunnar said:

I cant get to 130 EVER!!!! My speed limiter kicks in at 125. I have to find a way to get rid of that thing! :(
ahhh, gee too bad dude :(

mine has no problem.....eat my salt dust sucka!!!!

:p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts