The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Inactive
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dragstrip and did two runs. First was 12.0 @ 117 mph, second was 11.8 @ 118 mph. With a little practice the car should be able to do an 11.5 or 11.6 @ 120 mph. Car weight was 2100 lbs, track was at 1300 feet, temperature about 70F. For comparison I did 14.27 @ 101.67 mph with the stock engine, but that was at 30 feet elevation.

R888 tires, coldish day, no burn out = wheelspin launching at 1800 rpm. I also had trouble with 5th gear - leather balls work better than alumimum I guess. The launch limiter sound is from the Civic next to me.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PxJ3mZSfSaI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PxJ3mZSfSaI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The highlight is the footrest returning to its normal position, and me wondering what the noise was.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You took off so fast that the foot rest came off and when you brake...it just roll back in to position...nice trick... Sounds like you got some kind of boost in the engine...What is K24 ?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Having had a 10sec corvette, I'm not one to give you crap for drag racing.

Much props. What have you done to get 150hp? I'm assuming its some crazy turbo tune?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Having had a 10sec corvette, I'm not one to give you crap for drag racing.

Much props. What have you done to get 150hp? I'm assuming its some crazy turbo tune?
Sounds like a supercharger, and judging by his signature he has a K24...

Pictures please ^^

·
Inactive
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What have you done to get 150hp? I'm assuming its some crazy turbo tune?
Stock K24 (that's why the redline is so low) with an un-intercooled M62 blower. Not the best setup but it was something to get the car running, and I'll build an engine at some point.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
What's a stock K24? I assume its an entirely different engine...
Still not sure how you get +150hp with an un-intercooled M62 blower.
Really curious about the your setup. If you can post some details, that would be awesome.

·
Inactive
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's a stock K24? I assume its an entirely different engine...
Still not sure how you get +150hp with an un-intercooled M62 blower.
Really curious about the your setup. If you can post some details, that would be awesome.
There are several varieties of the K24, but the type found in the Acura TSX is the only worthwhile version. We bought one brand new (from a TSX in a train wreck), used it for R&D (which involved disassembling it twice without running it), then it went in the landspeed car (where it went 167 mph), then into my vehicle. Onto the K24 engine I bolted a Moss Motors supercharger kit, which uses a Eaton M62 supercharger with no intercooler. I was fairly careful about some of the minor details, like making a new thermostat bypass output and belt tensioner. This setup gave 151 hp more than the 2ZZ engine. A K20A would make a little less peak power but have probably much the same average power due to the increased rev range. An intercooler would make a huge difference to either setup.
The reason I used a K24 was because a) we had one sitting around and b) one engine mount is different from the K20 to K24 and the next engine I build will use a K24 block, with a shorter stroke so it will rev.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
wow, i didn't know you already completed the conversion!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts