The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Happy to hear of the pie in the sky 5 cars in 5 years thing is finally being scrapped. Rather them shoot for a more realistic goal.

Now how about getting past the safety issues on the new Exige S and selling it in North America!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Now how about getting past the safety issues on the new Exige S and selling it in North America!
that, will never happen. you will have to wait for an "S3 world car" redesign...

current debate on if the "first new variant" means evora convertible, or a new esprit...

its mind boggling that danny blew over 200mil pounds in cash, and there is nothing to show for it, well except the threat of a Hefty fine from indy car.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Whether DRB-HICOM's commitment to righting Lotus translates to a Long-Term commitment remains to be seen. This is hardly an indication the dust has settled. Until they outline a specific road map for Lotus, I'm not convinced. You need a CEO for that and surely they would have hired one by now if they're serious. Instead they have a COO basically acting as caretaker for a company that is going through a renovation, of sorts.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
As for the flagship store, it hosts a collection of Lotus Originals, which features a relaxed range of leisure clothing aimed at 25 to 45 year-olds.
A multi-million dollar clothing store? I think opening a branch of the Gap would have made them better money for the investment. I hope this is not an example of the new fiscal leadership.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
^^ nah, infact - i think they are doing the right thing. they don't need a CEO right now - they need an COO that can put lotus back into the business of an operating manufacturing company.

once thats reasonable cleaned up. then they can turn their sights to a CEO. Lotus doesn't need "leadership" right now. its need emergency room triage... so COO is the right course in the short term. also - rushing into what may become a bad hire or appointment would be very bad - since the responsibility and vision opportunity of a CEO is completely unknown right now, i think they are best to wait until they have some viability and rough direction.

as for the store... i tihnk they were stuck into that, and had only two options - just go ahead and open it. or dismantle the effort and sink the costs. i am sure they signed a lease... might as well run that through. try to get something. even if the lose a little, might lose less than doing nothing there. its one store in the homeland... reasonable... might work out in time, i think the good profile is wrong - as you pointed out. but i think there could be a fit, in time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
That store was a sunk cost by the time they canned Dany. They are probably on the hook for the lease and already paid for the rennovations. Plus they are more than likely overstocked on the overpriced Lotus originals line. They might as well see if it works before scrapping the project. Nothing to lose right now.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I may sound like a dousche, but I think the Lotus Originals line is nice ****. It is just way overpriced.

if they can get on the hook with another company ala ferrari/ducati with Puma, for a small group like Lotus, they could bank on the black/gold and green/yellow and make a **** ton of money..

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I may sound like a dousche, but I think the Lotus Originals line is nice ****. It is just way overpriced.

if they can get on the hook with another company ala ferrari/ducati with Puma, for a small group like Lotus, they could bank on the black/gold and green/yellow and make a **** ton of money..
Agreed, I like the Originals line too (especially that racing jacket.....va va voom!), but it's just obnoxiously priced. For whatever bad Bahar might have done, I think there's some merit in getting the Lotus name back into the public conciousness and making it "hip" like Ferrari or Porsche.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Lotus Originals line is awsome! If i had cash flowing out my ears then I would wear at least 1 item from them every day.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Great products. Saw more Lotus clothing at ALMS race than I had for past decade.
But get name out there by keeping prices real!

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Great products. Saw more Lotus clothing at ALMS race than I had for past decade.
But get name out there by keeping prices real!
If they do that how are they going to pay for the multi-million dollar store? ;)

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Inetersting indeed. There has been much discussion about how Audi helped Lambo, etc. and of course VW just finished its full acquisition of Porsche. But do they really need Lotus? Though it could be a different alternative to their Bentley, Bugatti, etc. typical buyers.

On the other hand, Toyota already has been an engine and transmission supplier, and while they have the Z, and the Lexus F cars and LFA, there's not as much of a direct Lotus competitor in their stable? Though I'll readily admit I'm not as familiar with their products, especially in their home markets.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
2, things...

1; reading that you realize what a cockup danny (well, danny/proton exec team) was. how bad it was going. - it def. sounds like Lotus would have gone bankrupt right about now, had DRB not bought (control) proton. i mean, god lord what was danny thinking? even if "he was doing what he was told" still, your CEO... you should know the # and projections and have a voice at the table about the speed at which your bankrupting this thing. - or if he was in control... either way. makes no sense. other than stupid!

2; maybe VW is looking at profit and taxes and projections and thinking.... Hmmm we can buy this thing on a dollar and start ditching cash by paying on debt we can write off....

to point #2, for VW, its business more than brand and technology (i think). if VW wanted too - they could run lotus and or proton very hands off - not take it into the mothership. play shell games with cash. share some platform tech, get a leg up in electric/hybrid drivetrains, regional plant and brand, partnership with DRB, etc...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts