The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s hard to even know how to begin a thread like this one. I suppose I can begin by quoting Lou Gehrig, because today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. About a week ago (or thereabouts… my mind is still in a daze), I acquired a unicorn… a ‘09 Elise SC, the Type 25 Jim Clark edition.

In the roughly 14 years or so that I’ve monitored Elise sales in the US, on and off, this was a car I’ve seen come up for sale maybe one other time… and it vanished long before I even sniffed the means to acquire a base model. But I never forgot it. Looking into it more, I later found out the level of scarcity surrounding this model in particular practically made them nonexistent… so it quickly entered ‘daydream’ status for me. I considered this a far-fetched and far-flung dream (only 25 made??). I would find myself staring at pictures of it if my mind ever wandered, and it gradually became my ‘it’ car the more I read about both it and other cars in general. The Type 111R Elise was already a great platform, as many of you well know, and with this edition came the element of nostalgia and history… two things I have a particular fondness for. I posted a WTB discussion not too long ago right here on LT, half in hope and half thinking it was nothing more than me being frivolous and flippant. I’ll skip the boring details, but through a chance encounter one thing led to another and, well, there she was.

I’ve barely driven the car so far, basically a trip to my mechanic and back (I got very lucky, as he gave it an A+ throughout), but initial impressions have me giddy – the fit and finish are far beyond what I expected. To be honest I wasn’t sure if I was going to like the color scheme at first, even to the point where I was getting cold feet… but in person, it’s shocking how awesome it looks – I now feel like a schoolboy who can’t stop grinning. You don’t have to be a fan of Jim Clark or his amazing career to appreciate this car, or even a fan of classic Team Lotus F1… but, if you have any sort of appreciation for anything classic, like Gulf-liveried Porsches, vintage papaya orange Can-Am McLarens, JPS liveried cars, Martini, races at the Goodwood circuit, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground and Nico, The Italian Job, Diana Rigg, Le Chat Noir posters, or hell even something like gramophones… then a car like the Type 25 Jim Clark is a living, supercharged-breathing reminder of that era. This car somehow bridges everything I love about cars into the modern era, and into perhaps the last of the lightweight analog roadsters. I lose the throttle cable of my ’05 along with the wonderfully sculpted pedals, but I gain a supercharger and (oddly) traction control… dunno if Jimmy Clark would have had any use for something like TC, but there you have it.

And speaking of my ’05, it is with a heavy (albeit incredibly happy) heart that I must now part with her. Having not one but two lightweight Lotus sports cars in our garage won’t fly unless I permanently move into one (lol), so between the two of them my ’05 will have to go. It’s a Racing Green metallic model with biscuit leather interior that just passed 22k miles, and has received pampering and adoration the level of which made my wife refer to her as “the other woman.” The process has already started, and she will be going on BaT soon. She has to… no, needs to go to someone who will care for her the same way I did. I feel awful if I think too long about it because of how much I love my racing green ’05… but, as they say, nothing gets you over the last one like the next one. And what a ‘next one’ it is.

Anyways, thanks for letting me share my spiel with you all! ‘Jimmy,’ as I’ve named my new Type 25, is now firmly entrenched as a member of the family… and I can’t wait for years and years of motoring bliss.

·
Registered
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
776 Posts
Congrats dude1 That's awesome! You've told me in the past how badly you wanted one. Couldn't be happier for you! 🤘

·
Administrator
4,989 Posts
Congratulations on having found and purchased your dream car! Beautiful!

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT, Metallic Racing Green
139 Posts
Wow! What a beauty! Very glad you are remaining a member of team Green and don't need to change the screenname. Would love to see your new ride up on Angeles Crest sometime soon.

Also whoever gets your old car is getting a peach.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! What a beauty! Very glad you are remaining a member of team Green and don't need to change the screenname. Would love to see your new ride up on Angeles Crest sometime soon.

Also whoever gets your old car is getting a peach.
Thanks so much man! I was so indecisive in the beginning simply because of how much I've loved my '05... but you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs (or hearts), lol. Indeed, I'm excited for another drive alongside your GT.

Congrats dude1 That's awesome! You've told me in the past how badly you wanted one. Couldn't be happier for you! 🤘
Thank you as ever my man! :)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Beautiful car. Enjoy her!

Reactions: Holy BRG!

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
awesome story. congratulations. looks to be in pristine condition!

·
Registered
2011 Exige S260 Sport
275 Posts
Such a cool story! So happy you got this car of your dreams!

From the owner of one unicorn to another, CHEERS!!!

Keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Such a cool story! So happy you got this car of your dreams!

From the owner of one unicorn to another, CHEERS!!!

Keep the pics coming.
Thanks so much man! At the moment I feel like the guy standing next to the prom queen who is way out of his league, lol, but hopefully that feeling wears and I can go for a drive without being nervous. That's another reason why I was hesitant to pull the trigger... but with this being such a rare opportunity and there being that whole thing of living only once, I had to do it.

I think we're still a couple weeks away from my '05 going live on BaT, but that will be a whole other set of nerves lol. I'm looking forward to when the dust settles and I won't be such a ball of stress. Thank you so much for the kind words!!

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
pretty close to my 2005. I was Lotus racing green with full red interior. Fabulous color combo!!!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
@Holy BRG! Wow, just wow!!! Unbelievable Find! Congrats! If you don't mind, could you elaborate on the process of finding this car? It would be interesting to hear about the previous owner and if they were planning to sell or you gave an offer too good to refuse. 😉

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Holy BRG! Wow, just wow!!! Unbelievable Find! Congrats! If you don't mind, could you elaborate on the process of finding this car? It would be interesting to hear about the previous owner and if they were planning to sell or you gave an offer too good to refuse. 😉
Thank you man!! Just by chance, a member here on LT saw my WTB thread and reached out to me just to chat. We would message each other over a few months, and then he randomly called me one day saying he saw a T25 (this one) randomly posted on facebook from a broker up north. The car wasn't being posted for sale anywhere and I'm not on facebook so there's no way I would have ever seen it. I thanked this LT member profusely and then called the broker about the car - it had belonged to a gentlemen in a large collection of especially rare machines, including a 458 Speciale and a registered Exige V6 LF1 track car. It was basically a time capsule... barely any miles.

It took some convincing on both my part and the kind owner's, but eventually a price was agreed upon and the process was under wrap. It felt like I was getting something from the Brumos Collection, a place that just doesn't sell their cars... I still can't believe it's here. But it will continue to be well taken care of and most definitely driven. Thank you again!!

It was nice meeting you at A1 automotive .. beautiful car in person!
Thanks so much man! It was great meeting you too, and I still can't believe I spotted your Evora just by chance in my neck of the woods before you owned it lol!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thank you man!! Just by chance, a member here on LT saw my WTB thread and reached out to me just to chat. We would message each other over a few months, and then he randomly called me one day saying he saw a T25 (this one) randomly posted on facebook from a broker up north. The car wasn't being posted for sale anywhere and I'm not on facebook so there's no way I would have ever seen it. I thanked this LT member profusely and then called the broker about the car - it had belonged to a gentlemen in a large collection of especially rare machines, including a 458 Speciale and a registered Exige V6 LF1 track car. It was basically a time capsule... barely any miles.

It took some convincing on both my part and the kind owner's, but eventually a price was agreed upon and the process was under wrap. It felt like I was getting something from the Brumos Collection, a place that just doesn't sell their cars... I still can't believe it's here. But it will continue to be well taken care of and most definitely driven. Thank you again!!

Thanks so much man! It was great meeting you too, and I still can't believe I spotted your Evora just by chance in my neck of the woods before you owned it lol!
Fantastic find and backstory!
Congratulations!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Track Day Videos Please
Haha oh man, one step at a time :) . It's got the harness bar, or whatever it's called, behind the seats already if someone wants to set up the 5-point Schroth racing harnesses. As if any more temptation is needed.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
153 Posts
So glad to read that you found the car you wanted! The passion here is what car enthusiasm is all about.

If anyone is looking for a similar color scheme, this other car was just listed with 2,428 miles on it for $49,950

1 - 20 of 53 Posts