The Lotus Cars Community banner

Drifting an intergal part of your driving?

• Yes, wooo hooo, regularly.. btw how much are Yok 048 again

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Only the occasional 4 wheel drift on the track

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • By mistake only ...

Votes: 6 24.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
I will tell you what, if I were in the market for a cruising sedan, I would look long and hard at the 300C. For the money it seems like a teriffic deal. 390 lb-ft of torque is insane in a car that costs 32,000 dollars. I think the styling could have been better, but still, for thet pricing point, and a close affiliation with the S class, I think the old chrystler (and daimler) boys did something right.

And no, I would never drift my Elise. What a waste; one mistake, and it is all over. The car was meant to grip the road, not make interesting tire marks on the pavement. I know that a lot of people are into it, but I really can't see the point. Maybe if I gave it a try in someone's Nissan 240 that was worth 3,000 dollars, I might find it fun, but not a 40,000 dollar psudo-exotic car like the Elise.

·
Registered
592 Posts
While an interesting demonstation of car control, it is really all for show so I am not interested.

Nick Adams told me he can wear out a set of tires in 4 laps, no wonder :D

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hmmm - I guess I am using the term "drift" differently that some of you. Any time you are cornering a car hard it will have a yaw angle that is different than the direction of the tires - also called sliding or drifting. For fast lap times in modern cars this angle is usually too slight to easily see from outside of the car. All cars "drift" when cornered hard, which is why controlling the car's weight balance with the throttle works.

From the responses, it sounds like the poll is using the term more like the Sport Compact Car drifting contests, where style is more important than lap times.

I plan slide/drift the car a lot on the track. Speaking just for myself, I can't see buying this car if I didn't plan to drive it that hard. I'll avoid that on the street, where an unexpected gravel patch could result in a curb hit and totalled chassis. Tail out Dukes of Hazard style power slides will be saved for special occasions such as weddings and funerals. :)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Ah, yeah. I thought that was what he meant at first. I'm still gonna have some fun in wet parking lots, though!!!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Blahahaha... I love the magnum. It's so in-your-face! It was, in fact, #1 on my list for cars right up until I found out the Elise is coming to the usa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts