The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drive across the country or ship? **Updated with Pics**

So, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should drive my Elise to Socal or just have it shipped. I know several of people have driven their Elise/Exige cross country and I was wondering if you think it was worth it? Any tips? My biggest fear is getting a flat tire in the middle of no where.

For those who had their car shipped, who would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
get aaa and drive

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
( this should be a poll ! ).........tape it up & DRIVE !!!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
drive it. become one with your new car. what middles of nowhere will you have to drive?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I do have AAA but I'm not sure if they will be so prompt if I'm in the middle of no where?

Any other thoughts?
ive been out in the middle of mississippi and have had help with in an hour and 40 mins. (back woods swamp of mississippi mind you)

i would recommend the upgrade to premier, if you dont already have it in case a trip to the dealer or shop is very far away.

im a big fan of AAA and have never had a problem or issue with them yet.

good luck either way

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
From where?
What route are you thinking of?
As in what is the weather along said route, any snow or such.

But I say drive.

Kevin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From where?
What route are you thinking of?
As in what is the weather along said route, any snow or such.

But I say drive.

Kevin
Actually, from Hoboken, NJ to right up your alley in Cerritos.

I haven't really decided which route to take, just one that will keep south and away from the snow.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Drive. I shipped (work conflicts basically, and I wanted a co-driver and no one stepped up to the plate) and I regret it. I would have loved to drive the Dragon and I could have if I had driven...

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you have extra time to do it, I would drive it. I just drove mine home from Atlanta to NJ a few weeks ago and it was a blast for the most part (besides ****ty Washington DC area roads). Its a really good opportunity to learn your new car, and its alot of fun if you can turn it into a road trip with your girlfriend or another friend of yours. It was ALOT more fun in the Elise than the other cars I've driven back home after a purchase, since the Elise was so good on gas. Driving my old Evo home was a joke, I had to fill up so many times, and I only drove from Raleigh which is a relatively short trip compared to Atlanta.

·
Registered
764 Posts
What's the weather along the way? That shoud be the only thing that stops you. I had mine shipped - in December. It arrived with snow on the ground. Not good Elise weather (and if you fly on an advance ticket, you have to predict the weather that far in advance).

No weather problems? Drive it.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Actually, from Hoboken, NJ to right up your alley in Cerritos.

Since there's no dealer in Cerritos, I assume this is a pre-owned car? You need to consider the condition of the tires. If the Elise has the Yokohama A048, you may need to get new tires. I think the life expectancy of the A048 is about 6,000 to 8,000 miles but they'll be heat-cycled out before then.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Dats a lotta DRIVE votes !!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha, damn! I guess I'll have to drive it.

I'm not purchasing the car in Hoboken, I am moving. I guess I will ship my other two cars and drive the Elise.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I say drive it halfway then ship it. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts