The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Drive across the country or ship?

4K views 43 replies 27 participants last post by  Thomasio 
#1 · (Edited)
Drive across the country or ship? **Updated with Pics**

So, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should drive my Elise to Socal or just have it shipped. I know several of people have driven their Elise/Exige cross country and I was wondering if you think it was worth it? Any tips? My biggest fear is getting a flat tire in the middle of no where.

For those who had their car shipped, who would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
( this should be a poll ! ).........tape it up & DRIVE !!!

#5 ·
drive it. become one with your new car. what middles of nowhere will you have to drive?

#10 ·
Drive. I shipped (work conflicts basically, and I wanted a co-driver and no one stepped up to the plate) and I regret it. I would have loved to drive the Dragon and I could have if I had driven...

#11 ·
If you have extra time to do it, I would drive it. I just drove mine home from Atlanta to NJ a few weeks ago and it was a blast for the most part (besides ****ty Washington DC area roads). Its a really good opportunity to learn your new car, and its alot of fun if you can turn it into a road trip with your girlfriend or another friend of yours. It was ALOT more fun in the Elise than the other cars I've driven back home after a purchase, since the Elise was so good on gas. Driving my old Evo home was a joke, I had to fill up so many times, and I only drove from Raleigh which is a relatively short trip compared to Atlanta.

#12 ·
What's the weather along the way? That shoud be the only thing that stops you. I had mine shipped - in December. It arrived with snow on the ground. Not good Elise weather (and if you fly on an advance ticket, you have to predict the weather that far in advance).

No weather problems? Drive it.

#18 ·
Dats a lotta DRIVE votes !!

#20 ·
I say drive it halfway then ship it. :)

#24 · (Edited)
counterpoint:

sprints across the country suck. It's one thing if you can stop & smell the roses, but if you're just driving to save money or get acquainted with your car, there are MUCH better ways of doing so.

most of the midwest is straight. 4-5 hours in a straight line is about as exciting as watching paint dry, not to mention the lack of cruise will make for a sore leg. How well do you fit?

there's a bunch of crap on the road - dead animals, truck treads, flying rocks, pot holes. Unless you're getting something else out of the trip, it's not worth it - this stuff will do you no favors. DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU HAVE STARSHIELD!!!

shipping the car in an enclosed trailer will cost ~$2k. They pick it up for you & drop it off at your door - as clean as it left, no rock marks, no dried on bug carcasses, no scrapped front clam from pulling into the Burger King in Beaver, Utah, no headache from the noise & lack of useful AC. Does this car have the sport pack? get ready for deafening tire noise if it does.

I shipped my car across country. I've since been on several road trips - one from L.A. to Aspen & back. I'm no stranger to long drives or long drives in the Elise & actually enjoy road trips in the car (even at 6'5"), but sprinting across country is NOT a good time & will do little more for you other than wear you and your car out. I'm really happy I decided to ship my car. Besides, there's something really cool about a car being delivered to your door. :) http://www.hoghaulersinc.com/

edited to add: I've always thought that driving a new car across country like listening to a new album over and over and over again until you're sick of it.

This post has been deleted
#27 ·
I was actually enjoying the original response from LoanShark . but I think he must have taken a break part way through and guzzled a fifth of gin .. and gone postal. Friendly ribbing can be fun to read but you need to know where to draw the line LoanShark .. that was rather offensive.
Just my 2c

#31 ·
I say ship it on a flat bed and just sit in the car. Saves gas, wear and tear on the car and you still get to see the country. :D

And regarding loansharks childish post: Way out of line. Personally I wouldn't drive the Elise the 600 miles to my parent's house in MI, let alone across the country for the very reasons stated by Brian, yet I have no trouble thrashing it around the track. So where does that put me? And for some of us, 50K is a lot of money. If you're looking to piss people off, congrats on that accomplishment.

#34 ·
Yes, AAA help is only a cell phone call away. IF there is cell coverage. I got AAA coverage when I bought my Caterham. First time it broke down was on the "Tail of the Dragon". Whipped out the cell-no coverage. Nearest land line-maybe 30' away-by car. That's when it got interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.