The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made the following observations regarding the drive by wire and it's frustrating.

1. When coming off throttle in 1st or 2nd gear, the throttle input is not quick enough and the RPM's get hung up as the clutch is disengaged. When I'm off throttle, I'm OFF throttle, yet DBW keeps the throttle for a split second more.

2. When REV matching, I litterally have to roll my foot across the throttle vice stab/tap the throttle. WTF? The DBW does not respond to quick taps, it comes late and as a result only revs 1/4 of the original input.

/rant.

Back to driving... ;-)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I've made the following observations regarding the drive by wire and it's frustrating.

1. When coming off throttle in 1st or 2nd gear, the throttle input is not quick enough and the RPM's get hung up as the clutch is disengaged. When I'm off throttle, I'm OFF throttle, yet DBW keeps the throttle for a split second more.

2. When REV matching, I litterally have to roll my foot across the throttle vice stab/tap the throttle. WTF? The DBW does not respond to quick taps, it comes late and as a result only revs 1/4 of the original input.

/rant.

Back to driving... ;-)
I experience very similar characteristics with my 2005 Audi A4, which has DBW, and I agree that it's very frustrating. It's one of the reasons why I wanted an '05 Elise (purchased brand new at a dealer in 2006).

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my first experience with it and I'm not impressed.

My AP2 S2000 is cable and I loved the connected feel of the throttle inputs.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Do you know why they make the throttle by wire?

To save automatic transmission.
WTF ?

They do this for emissions... to lean out the mixture before the throttle plates close. And on opening it is also slow.
The Yaris and the Seat are the worst rentals I have driven.

When people say that their turbo has no worse lag than a n/a engine - I have to laugh.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
i noticed this effect seemed to start when i installed the supercharger.
i had 28,000 miles on mine when i put the blower on so i would have noted it sooner. it's the VF blower.
i suspect it has to do with the added volume in the intake tract. HMMM?
you wind up treating the throttle somewhat like a turbocharged engine.
just my thoughts...
sam

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
WTF ?

They do this for emissions... to lean out the mixture before the throttle plates close. And on opening it is also slow.
The Yaris and the Seat are the worst rentals I have driven.
Yup there are lots of emissions advantages. Mixture adjustments, reduction of pumping losses, better transient control, etc. etc. that can be had by putting throttle control within the ECM.

Also is a huge deal for traction control and torque management.

When people say that their turbo has no worse lag than a n/a engine - I have to laugh.
Agreed. rotfl

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
My the dbw on my Nissan Titan is also horrible. When I make slight changes with the pedal, it's like the car doesn't believe me half the time. It's caused several sketchy moments pulling into traffic. Cable throttle definitely played a role in my decision to get an 05.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i noticed this effect seemed to start when i installed the supercharger.
i had 28,000 miles on mine when i put the blower on so i would have noted it sooner. it's the VF blower.
i suspect it has to do with the added volume in the intake tract. HMMM?
you wind up treating the throttle somewhat like a turbocharged engine.
just my thoughts...
sam
This in an interesting observation. I have on 06 with an OEM SC installed. I've never driven an N/A 06 or newer. Only N/A 05's (which had great throttle response).

I'm curious if there are any other N/A DBW owners than had no issues but then went SC and THEN noticed a difference in throttle response.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
That's me. Never noticed til i put the blower on.
Sam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts