The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Nice to have a lot of trunk in a car, but that's ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I had NEVER seen a body panel wrap around a tree like that. Ugh. That's horrible. I'm assuming the white covers in the first pic is what remains of the driver and passenger?

Be careful out there!

Bob

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
did you notice that the driver air bag did not deploy? Not that it would have helped much, but odd that it didn't.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that was because it was a side impact.

·
Registered
219 Posts
After seeing not so much as one pine needle displaced from (presumably) rolling and sliding bits and pieces of automobile, along with the notable lack of any fluids (bodily or automotive), I tend to agree with the skeptics there that it's staged...

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
James A said:
did you notice that the driver air bag did not deploy? Not that it would have helped much, but odd that it didn't.
I was just thinking of the same thing. Does side impact make a diff? I thought those were rigged for impact, period.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You know now that Hoopyfrood brought it up, the air bags did not deploy, the ground is not messed up at all, the car panels are dented but the paint is not even scratched, the wheels are prefect, no fluids, this thing is staged!
It's a fake out!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
HoopyFrood said:
After seeing not so much as one pine needle displaced from (presumably) rolling and sliding bits and pieces of automobile, along with the notable lack of any fluids (bodily or automotive), I tend to agree with the skeptics there that it's staged...
I agree that it is a fake. The engine didn't disturb the ground around it at all. Not a single drop of oil. All the parts were gently placed on the ground. Also, the headrests don't have any dirt or grime on them. What's more, the picture would imply that the car hit the tree at speed... split in half and then the parts came to rest about 25 feet from the tree it hit without a single mark on the ground? Yeah right... Wern't we just talking about stopping distance at 60MPH? If this were real, then the parts would be 50 yards or more past the crash site.

Also, take a look at the trunk.. did it just lightly tap the tree and stop?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Fake!

The obvious thing was the lack of disturbed trees. If a 3500lb object breaks apart at ludicrous speed, you can be damn sure that the trees will be split in two as well.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
Fake!

The obvious thing was the lack of disturbed trees. If a 3500lb object breaks apart at ludicrous speed, you can be damn sure that the trees will be split in two as well.
How much do you think a tree weighs? I've seen someone hit trees at very high rates of speed - in the air - and the tree was fine (save for some bark).

Trees don't just break, they have plenty of give and plenty of roots. They are full of water and weigh tons.

The fact remains that all the questions raised about the validity of this crash also hold true for the staging. Why are there no marks from draggin it out & putting the halves on the dirt? Why no tire marks from a tow truck? Why would they go through the trouble to knock out all the windows, but forget to do the back one? Why would they bother to put the engine so far away? Why would they rope it off & not let people see it up close (which is what is typically done on school campuses as a message against drunk driving)? How did they destroy the car in the first place? Why did they do it in the middle of nowhere?

I highly doubt this is fake. Way too much effort would have been put into making it, and for what? There is no message attached to these pictures. We're not learning anything by viewing them - the message could just as easily be, "Don't buy an Audi" as it could be, "Dont' drink and drive" or "Don't street race."
No small budget film would go through the time or effort to demolish this car this way (which would be a feat in and of itself), and no big budget film would have left the car sitting there without boat-load of equipment. Have you ever seen a movie being filmed? They take up an entire city block with equipment.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Brian,

I do see your point, but the ground doesnt even look disturbed! The trees are not scratched. Even though trees can be strong, those arent the biggest trees, especially if hitting one or more of them are the cause of the car splitting into many pieces, as the pictures lead you to believe.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Damn... and I was just thinking how cool it would be to do that as a sculpture.... someone always beats me to it !!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
Fake!

I'm not sure about that, the link's dead so I can't see what it was. But I've seen what happens when a fully loaded Semi Truck runs head on into a tree. The front of the truck just wrapped around the trunk. Didn't do a thing to the tree except scratch it. It was so bad though that they couldn't get the truck off it. They actually had to cut the whole tree down and take the front of the truck away with the piece of tree still in it. The guy had one of those trailers on the back that held liquid or something, almost looked like sand. Looks like he had fallen asleep and drifted off to the left side of the road, or had been passing and swerved to avoid oncoming traffic, it was a two way highway in Belgium.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts