The Lotus Cars Community banner

Should I drive Elise to work in low income neighborhood?

• yes

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • no

Votes: 62 82.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new job at a school where all of the students receive free breakfast and lunch because they are from low income families. I heard that there was a shooting not long ago within a couple of blocks of the school.

I would like to drive my Elise to work. I bought it because it is the car I like to drive. The nicest cars in the school parking lot are a 5-10 year old BMW 328 and a 350Z. If I don't drive the Elise, I will use our minivan.

Jason

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
i would like to go scuba diving in shark infested waters right after i take a swim in a pool of blood

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thats a GREAT way to get your car keyed/run into/tires slashed/spit on/jumped on/windows broken/egged. It wouldn't surprise me if it was the parents doing this either, let alone the students. Not only would I not drive it to the school but I wouldn't even tell your coworkers or students you own a Lotus at all. People in low income neighborhoods generally have an entitlement mentality, live off handouts, and begrudge anyone who works hard and makes something for themselves in life or owns nice things.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,738 Posts
I take my exige to work which is in a very bad neighborhood. The only reason I do it is because my company has a large metal fence and a guard shack around the entire parking lot / property. If we didn't have the security I wouldn't ever take my car.

My advice would be no.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I think of the times I've lived/worked in those areas, and the BS my cars have endured as a result, and I say its not worth it. I used to live in a sweet ass loft in downtown Detroit, in a "safe" area 2 blocks from the police station... and would still regularly have people messing with my well-kept Z28 to the point that I bought a permanent parking spot in a valet lot across the street just to keep it out of trouble.

I'd say Porcupine has it about right though; it wasn't kids doing most of it (and I know because people would *see* it happen, do nothing to stop it, and tell me about it later) it was just ...people, with a certain mindset, and a lot of resentment. YMMV

-Matt

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I wouldn't do it. But if you did, maybe you should offer kids a ride to win them over.

·
give me my second cam!
451 Posts
You ever watch that TV show "Bait car"?-eek-

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
You know it's just a car right? Not technically a very good one even, just go over your insurance policy and use the stupid thing.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
If you know and have a good relationship with the kids they will actually protect it for you. If you are known as a hardass then you will get into trouble. So the question is: are you the cool teacher or the disciplinarian?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Yeah...................let us know how you make out with that...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
question is, what happens the first time a kid gets a bad grade and is angry about it?

You know it's just a car right? Not technically a very good one even, just go over your insurance policy and use the stupid thing.
You do realize that while you keep filing claims, your insurance goes up, right?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Perceived value vs. Real value.......

The hassle you would endure due to peoples entitlement mentality would only leave you with less time and more worry...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Gosh, all this time I thought that described the filthy rich.
I love you, man! Good comeback to a demeaning generalization.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
A. Arm yourself.
B. Review your insurance.
C. Enjoy your car.

If it gets stolen or damaged, you can get a new one. If you witness a hostile act, return fire!
Get busy living or stay in the basement were its safe!

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Porcupine;People in low income neighborhoods generally have an entitlement mentality said:
Seriously! That's some snobbish bull****. No I don't have any grey Poupon for your ass!

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
I have a new job at a school where all of the students receive free breakfast and lunch because they are from low income families. I heard that there was a shooting not long ago within a couple of blocks of the school.

I would like to drive my Elise to work. I bought it because it is the car I like to drive. The nicest cars in the school parking lot are a 5-10 year old BMW 328 and a 350Z. If I don't drive the Elise, I will use our minivan.

Jason
Chill folks chill, it's not that bad!!
here's how it went for me, the first school i taught was in the worst neighborhood in Miami Over town /Liberty City if you watch the first 48 hour show you'll know what area I'm talking about. When I was offered the job I was absolutely terrified to drive through that neighborhood and did it without incident for 2 years and once I was inside the school is the safest I've ever been in 12 years and now I'm in what is considered a model school.... the Kids were very courteous, well behaved even the vocational rehab ones, I learn an important lesson in my life not to judge the book by it's cover..

If you drive the Lotus to work like I do every day I'll tell you what will happen, you will be the most popular teacher in the school because of the car, heck the first day I drove the car to school a science teacher had a field trip to the parking lot so her class could see the car up close, crazy!! (real story) and you will get this question until the day you retire "I didn't know a teacher could afford a Lotus with your little salary?" little do they know....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts