The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am picking up an '05 Elise this weekend in SLC and then driving the car back to the San Fran Bay Area. Planning on taking 80 most of the way.

Has anyone done this route? If so, any alternate routes that can be suggested? How is the CHP density as well?

Cheers!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm in SLC and I bought mine in LA and drove it home. I have also recently driven from SLC to the Bay Area. It's a nice drive. This time of year you should be absolutely fine to drive it over the Sierra Nevada's just outside of Reno. In fact I think you will find this one of the best parts of the drive in a Lotus. My only recommendation might be that you consider breaking the drive up into 2 days so that you don't have 11 hours in the cockpit.

When I bought mine in LA and drove it back I stayed over in Vegas. This made each leg about 6 hours in the seat and that was about all I needed for one day.

What color is your Elise you are getting? I know many of the Lotus cars and owners and Im curious to see if I recognize your car. When do you plan to be in SLC. Perhaps we can meet up and we can chat cars before you get on to the bay area.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Haven't done it in an Elise, but did in a supra back in the 90's. Long boring drive for the first 2/3s or so. I just did the 80 thing as well. Not so bad once you get past Reno. I did get a ticket somewhere around Lovelock, NV. I was going way too fast but the guy was cool and wrote it up for only 5 over. I think the fee was less than $20 at that time.

What Elise did you pick up? (just wondering if it is one I know of)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys, I am looking forward to the drive back!

The car is storm titanium, black wheels, soft stop, all stock.

tko, would love to meetup but I will have to get on the road ASAP. Need to be back in the Bay Area ASAP, unfortunately :(

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I drove it last year and some of the shear walls of rock you drive through are breathtaking!:cool: Great introduction to driving the Lotus.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought my Exige in SLC and drove it home back in 09. Left the Bay Area at midnight, arrived Sat. at 10am, did paper work, drove the Exige straight back to Bay Area arriving at 11pm. My wife slept on the way there and followed in our Mercedes back. It was all a big Redbull powered blur, but I made it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought my Exige in SLC and drove it home back in 09. Left the Bay Area at midnight, arrived Sat. at 10am, did paper work, drove the Exige straight back to Bay Area arriving at 11pm. My wife slept on the way there and followed in our Mercedes back. It was all a big Redbull powered blur, but I made it.
You are intense man! There and back in one day, props to you and the wife. :clap:

Hopefully I can make it alright from SLC to The Bay - should be a fun drive :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I drove from Sacramento to Vail, Col and back again a couple of years ago. I stopped in Winnamuca and stayed the night. Got some of my best gas mileage ever on that trip, alot of straight flat road A lot of lonely road, but some very beautiful scenery. I do like Hwy 50 better than 80 going over the Sierras, a lot more twists and turns. You also get to go around Lake Tahoe, which is never dull. Just take your time and enjoy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I've done it I've always wanted to get point-to-point the fastest, so just taken 80. If you're looking for scenic, there are a couple of options that I'd think about (but check the weather):
1) +1 hr: go by the south shore of Lake Tahoe then 50. Not a lot more interesting than 80
2) +1.5 hrs: go through south lake tahoe, then down 88. this is a nice drive, and you can cut off a few minutes if you go through gardnerville instead of south lake
3) +2 hrs: go south through carson city then onto 395, cross through Sonora pass. Definitely the most scenic but you have to be careful to watch for early season snow.
4) + 3 hrs: keep going on 395 then turn at Mono lake to drive through Yosemite

Nathan

·
Registered
71 Posts
SLC to SFO

Hi,
Bought my Exige from Harris Imports in 2010, did the drive back to SFO. I did my drive in Dec in the snow, car handled great.The guy at the dealership was shocked when I flew out to see the car and did not bring a trailer. People always think these cars are bad in the wet or snow, actually they are great,very stable.
Cops are not so bad...but 80 near Sac is where they really are so careful there. I did the drive in one day...but I would do it with a stay over. It's pretty bad ass the next day when you look out the window. I love my car...will always have a lotus now.

When your home give me an email...I drive my exige everyday, and hit RT 35 everyother weekend, for some action.

Cheers,
[email protected]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet man. I just made it home on Sunday night. I also did the drive in one day. It was marvelous!

I'll shoot you an email. Maybe we can get a cruise going this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

1 - 14 of 14 Posts