The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get a VSS signal in my '05 Elise, and I'm trying to use one of the Celica VSS senders that pops into the transmission. To my annoyance, however, upon pulling the cap out of the transmission, I find that the drive gear for the sensor is nowhere to be found. Anyone know if Lotus intentionally omitted this?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
just pick it up off one of the speed sensors, from the abs to the ecu.
but the tranny speed sensor doesn't exist. pin 62,63,64 or 77

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just pick it up off one of the speed sensors, from the abs to the ecu.
but the tranny speed sensor doesn't exist. pin 62,63,64 or 77
Tried that. The nav unit I'm using doesn't like the ABS signals. I presume the pulse rate is too high.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Trying to get a VSS signal in my '05 Elise, and I'm trying to use one of the Celica VSS senders that pops into the transmission. To my annoyance, however, upon pulling the cap out of the transmission, I find that the drive gear for the sensor is nowhere to be found. Anyone know if Lotus intentionally omitted this?
Do you mean that there is no gear in the transmission to drive the sensor, or that the sensor is missing the gear? There is a separate drive gear that is "plugged in" to the VSS - are you missing that? Lotus wouldn't have included the driven gear as it has to have the VSS to hold it in place.

I like the idea of using the VSS signal from the transmission instead of hacking up the wiring in the car.

Here's a diagram from the Celica manual showing the VSS and the driven gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you mean that there is no gear in the transmission to drive the sensor, or that the sensor is missing the gear?
I'm saying there's no gear/shaft in the transmission-- though I wasn't aware it came with the sensor versus being captive in the gearbox. Time to hunt one down, methinks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you use the output from the wheel sensors, or the output from the abs computer?
ABS computer to ECU-- still no go. But, I managed to hunt down a drive gear for the celica sender, and now it works great. :coolnana:

·
Registered
97 Posts
So Simba,

Just in case I need to duplicate....

You bought the sending unit and the gear and installed them in the transmission, correct? Where on the transmission is the bung? What did you connect the two leads on the sender to? Does one need to go to power?

This looks like the best solution I have seen for a VSS.

Vince

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You bought the sending unit and the gear and installed them in the transmission, correct? Where on the transmission is the bung? What did you connect the two leads on the sender to? Does one need to go to power?
Yup, 7th gen Celica speed sensor and gear. It goes into the gear case on the rear of the transmission slightly aft of the shifter linkage bracket. There's a large ~1" plug with a retaining bolt, and the sender and gear go in there. It was a bit of a bugger to get out on mine, I found that pulling the diffuser and tapping up on the flange for the retaining bolt after turning the plug slightly was the way to go.

There's three pins for the sender, one goes to 12V ignition, one to ground, and the third is your speed signal. There's a diagnostic diagram which was posted here before which illustrates the pins. With the retaining bolt flange in a downward position, from left to right the pins are: 1 - 12V, 2 - Ground, 3 - VSS.

I couldn't find the appropriate Toyota harness plug without buying a complete Celica engine harness, so I just used some narrow spade connectors, plugged them on, then filled the plug cavity with silicone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great info. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
This is great info. I want to use it for hooking up a cruise control.

Does anyone know which car this comes out of....? I want to look in the junk yards first...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts