The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some help with removing a drive shaft from an elise.its the left side.i have the outboard part loose from the upright.but i cant get the inboard cv loose from the trans.is there a lock of some sort you must release?im trying to sort through the engine manual that is posted here.takes forever to get any where with this pdf files.any help here would be great.

kevin

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I can do it with a big screw driver, just have to be careful and not bend anything. It's a piece of cake with the slide hammer and attachment. Takes longer to wait in line at autozone to get them than to remove the axle.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
i need some help with removing a drive shaft from an elise.its the left side.i have the outboard part loose from the upright.but i cant get the inboard cv loose from the trans.is there a lock of some sort you must release?im trying to sort through the engine manual that is posted here.takes forever to get any where with this pdf files.any help here would be great.

kevin
The end of the driveshaft is held into the trans/diff. with a circlip, so you need a puller to pop it loose. Here is a photo of a common slide hammer style puller.

Auto part

The other option is to carefully use a pry bar behind the CV housing, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Whichever method you choose, the circlip must be replaced on the axle when installing the axle again.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would be very careful if you use the pry bar route, Ive seen a few chipped
housings. I use the crows foot and slide hammer method,be careful not to dislodge the balls in the CV joint.
Cheers, Don

·
Registered
664 Posts
ai just changed my clutch and had the same issue...left side would not release. I didn't have a slide hammer which may have been the ticket, but we ended up using a pry bar, a piece of wood to protect the case and gently tapping the inner CV with a hammer. The shock released it after one hit. It seems to need a good jolt to release. That was the most frustrating part of the clutch change.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys for the replies.i found the info on the toyota manuals posted here.it said to use a slide hammer.so i had to make one with some 1 inch flat bar bent on the end into a hook.then welded to a tube and a big piece of square tubing for the hammer part.once i had that it took a few good pops and it came out.i have installed them before and know what the clip looks like but man that clip is heavy duty.i thought the thing had some sort of lock on it.i first tried a pry bar and a piece of wood but that was just not working.so thats when i posted here and looked into the manual.that one posted above that looks like a horse shoe looks like it would work perfect.i will keep that in mind for next time.well thanks again guys.i think this thread may help a few others that run into this problem too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts