The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched Ghost Dog (awesome movie) and then put in Driven. What a crappy movie but they have some great in car/race footage.

Anyone else have any car movies they like?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
"What's-a behind-a me is-a not important!"

Gumball.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cannonball - great soundtrack for openning sequence - Countach :D

Ronin - Realistic motion by Frankenhiemer

Rondezvous - 8 min short - shot illegally through the center of Paris

Gone in 60 seconds - the first one - much better than the N.Cage remake. Cracking dialogue in a B-movie kind of way.

Bullit - obviously

Le Mans - another Steve McQueen film - he enjoyed these kind of films...

The Italian Job - the first one with Micheal Caine - again much better than the recent remake.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Do you know what pissed me off the most about Driven?

When the drivers would try to pass eachother when racing, they would downshift--like they were street cars trying to pass a truck. WTF! I wish they would have a movie that showed what racing is really about...driving smoothly and quickly. Oh, I guess that would be boring for typical Hollywood movie watchers. I forgot the movie was about making money rather than about cart racing.

Did you know that they had to widen the seat/opening of the car so that Sly could fit in it?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Then there was that bit about doing a 180 on the track and driving AGAINST the race traffic? Umm....sure. I remeber a year or so before drivel came out he was sniffing around in a few F1 races and the rumor was that he was going to make an F1 movie. I may not like Bernie but thank god he kept that from happening. Although, the 'bad' guy was a german in a red car, there was a car designer in wheel chair, who are they kidding?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
Do you know what pissed me off the most about Driven?

When the drivers would try to pass eachother when racing, they would downshift--like they were street cars trying to pass a truck. WTF!
I haven't seen the movie because I assumed it would suck and piss me off with all the technical inaccuracies but what you say is not totally untrue. Not too many years ago if not currently (I don't watch IRL) indy cars had a cruising gear and passing gear for ovals. I know currently CART and F1 have a "push to pass" button where the electronics richen up the fuel, change ignition curves and allow a few more revs to give the motor full power for when need a little more oomph to make the pass.

·
Registered
206 Posts
L8BRAKR said:
I haven't seen the movie because I assumed it would piss me off
same with me.
And I should have avoided Days of Thunder, The Fast & the Furious and Taxi for the same reason, but unfortunately didn't.

P.S.
Is it true that the Ferrari F1 car now has stepped up it's in-car automation and now has a Press-to-win button ;)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark said:

P.S.
Is it true that the Ferrari F1 car now has stepped up it's in-car automation and now has a Press-to-win button ;)
Yes, it's right next to the team orders display.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Not to be a name dropper but my parents and Jerry Bruckheimer are friends and he and his wife Linda come over for dinner when they're in the state ( Linda is from here and they keep a house here). I couldnt keep my mouth shut one evening and pretty much let him know what I thought of Days of Thunder. Believe it or not he understood, but of course it IS Hollywood.

I dont like Nascar anyway.

·
Registered
206 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Not to be a name dropper but my parents and Jerry Bruckheimer are friends and he and his wife Linda come over for dinner. I couldnt keep my mouth shut one evening and pretty much let him know what I thought of Days of Thunder. Believe it or not he understood, but of course it IS Hollywood.
I'm sure they'd discussed the shall we make it realistic several times during the production. So they'd be well aware of it's short fall in this area.

Pity some people belive what comes out of Hollywood as being accurate !

Colditz
Enigma
etc...

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Lotus Fury said:
Yes, it's right next to the team orders display.
Poor Rubens

1 - 13 of 13 Posts