The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I locked the driver door while driving by pushing the silver rod down, then I remembered the car has power locks and pushed that switch so the passenger door would lock.

When I got home and used the power unlock the passenger side door unlocked, but the driver door didn't. The silver knob moved up about 75% of the way, but not enough to unlock. I tried pulling the knob and it won't go any higher. I even tried wrapping the knob with a paper towel and using pliers to pull up

I'm guessing the actuator is acting up. I've removed the allen screws for the driver door panel to try to get to it, but with the door shut, I can't get there.

Does anybody know a way to open the door if I cannot unlock it using the methods described?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
The remote locking and the locking using the key seem to be independent systems on the car.

Maybe try using the key in the door lock if you haven't already.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Which vehicle do you have? The Evora's have a campaign out for an issue similar to what you discribe. If the vehicle is an Elise/Exige the key is completely seperate from the electronics portion of the lock....

J

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never locked the car using the key, but I did try that and it didn't make a difference. Also, as I understand it, I should be able to open the door from the interior regardless of the exterior lock position.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I had a similar issue except I could close the door. The lock had locked while the door was open. Only fix was replacing the latch mechanism.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got the door open by manipulating the latch from inside using a screwdriver. Even after it was open, I couldn't get the latch to function properly. I removed the latch assembly from the door and tested it. Everything worked fine then. I reassembled the assembly in the door (not fun) and everything is working fine. The only thing I can figure is that some of the lock linkage was binding.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
I finally got the door open by manipulating the latch from inside using a screwdriver. Even after it was open, I couldn't get the latch to function properly. I removed the latch assembly from the door and tested it. Everything worked fine then. I reassembled the assembly in the door (not fun) and everything is working fine. The only thing I can figure is that some of the lock linkage was binding.
You did not read the above
Michael

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The part where I said I tried the key and it didn't work?

Just so there is correct information posted (for future searchers): the power lock actuator is directly linked to the silver door sill button, not the external key.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
My problem - I'm not a good car jacker

Of the dozens of threads I've read in the past few days, this is the only one that seems to relate to the problem I have. Drivers side lock only goes up about 75%, so the door won't unlock. Passenger door works just fine. FOB working fine. Yes, I've tried the manual key lock. At this point, I just want to get the door open so I can follow the rest of this thread as I suspect it's the CDL Actuator acting up, but I want to go down the same path you went first to see if I can't get it working properly again. Currently, stuck at your post above - can someone explain a little more how to manipulate the latch using a screwdriver? I just want to get the door open so I can get the door panel off. I'm tired of having to get in and out via the passenger side as I'm not a small guy! How exactly do you manipulate the latch from inside using a screwdriver to get the door to open?

·
Registered
1 Posts
oh man, I just got a 2005 Lotus Elise (has a Cobra security system installed) and I am having the exact same issue with the door lock only going up about 75% of the way up

any way to fix this without opening up the door assembly??

thank you!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts