The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Seems to me that my seat is loose. If you are sitting in the seat, the bolt on the right side, towards the rear seems to be able to move. The thing is, I can't tighten it any more than it already is. One possible reason for this is that it's an alan head screw, and I can't get ANY leverage on it. The passenger seat is NOT like this.

Anyone else have any issues with this? Seems like I need a 6-8" alan head screwdriver in order to get the torque I need to tighten it down.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
sliding the seat all the way forward doesn't give you enough space?

I just looked at mine, it seems like with the seat all the way forward and the top off you should be able to use the long end of an L-shaped alan wrench as the handle, wouldn't that give enough leverage?

Other thing to consider is buying a set of t-handle metric wrenches, you can get them at Sears or any decent motorcycle shop.

Doubt you'd be able to put enough torque on an alan wrench screwdriver to adequately tighten it.

Chris

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I had the same problem with BOTH rear screws coming loose. It seemed to happen all at once when I hit a small sharp bump! I took it back to the dealer, who tightened the screws and ordered a new seat rail.

Now, a few hundred miles later it has recurred, but not as a result of a single incident.

I'm worried about this as the seat belt is attached to the seat rails, so if the seat rails let go in a crash, then I go flying through the windshield. So i guess I'd better not get into a crash...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doh! For some reason I totally forgot that the seat even moved forward! It was all the way back when I first got it, and I haven't touched it.

Thanks Chris!

That's the thing I like about you, we can disagree on politics, but you always are willing to help.

Thanks as well Chococar.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
My seat seems to make a little noise if it's in certain positions and I lean forward. I suppose this might be from loose rear bolts. Did your dealer say why they had to replace the seat rail?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The dealer didn't explain why he wanted to replace the seat rails, and I don't have any idea. I'm going for my 1,000 miles service next week (hurray!), so I'll find out.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Choco, you're a large guy...maybe the best thing could be to use a passenger side bracket or something...a solid mount? If you give up the slider you can lower the seat a small amount too. Maybe reprofile the seat in some spots while you're at it which can increase comfort and also create more room since you can fit into the seat more deeply. Some have reported that you can get some slop in the sliders when they are stressed a lot when folks get in/out of the car. I'm about 175 and my slider is tight with no excess play.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I thought my drivers seat was loose. Went out to tighten whatever bolt was loose, but they were all tight. The sliding bracket just has play in it.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
TripleBlack_NJ said:
I thought my drivers seat was loose. Went out to tighten whatever bolt was loose, but they were all tight. The sliding bracket just has play in it.
I had the exact same experience--wiggle the driver seat and it moves. Passenger seat, no play.

I also attributed it to the slide mechanism

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Stan said:
Choco, you're a large guy...maybe the best thing could be to use a passenger side bracket or something...a solid mount? If you give up the slider you can lower the seat a small amount too. Maybe reprofile the seat in some spots while you're at it which can increase comfort and also create more room since you can fit into the seat more deeply. Some have reported that you can get some slop in the sliders when they are stressed a lot when folks get in/out of the car. I'm about 175 and my slider is tight with no excess play.
Stan, I agree. I actually posted a note a couple of days ago looking to buy a spare passenger side rail and spare seat from anyone who has upgraded, so I can play/modify/try-storm something. Thanks.

My seat rail bolts are definitely loose: I can grab the back of the rails and lift them up from the floor due to the gap between the bolt head and the seat rail.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Stan said:
I havn't taken any measurements myself, but I've read many places that the passenger side seat and/or brackets are smaller than the drivers. There is about a 55/45 split to the car. The center console certainly isn't in the center of the car. The mirror, footwell divider & shifter definitely are on the passenger side of the car.

I wouldn't be surprised if the passenger seat and/or brackets are smaller and not interchangeable.

·
Registered
687 Posts
TripleBlack_NJ said:
I havn't taken any measurements myself, but I've read many places that the passenger side seat and/or brackets are smaller than the drivers. There is about a 55/45 split to the car. The center console certainly isn't in the center of the car. The mirror, footwell divider & shifter definitely are on the passenger side of the car.

I wouldn't be surprised if the passenger seat and/or brackets are smaller and not interchangeable.
The seats (shell/cushion) are exactly the same. It wouldn't make sense for Lotus to do otherwise since there is nothing special about the driver's seat compared with the passenger seat.

It's true that the center console is not exactly in the center, but that just means there is slightly more shoulder and leg room for the driver.

As for the brackets, remember that there is a right-hand-drive version of this car. I would guess that the passenger bracket of the U.K. car may work for you in the driver's side if the U.S. passenger bracket doesn't fit.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
For what it's worth, I experience this, as well. It was pointed out to me that new cars at the dealership have seats that wiggle. I find it a bit unnerving.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My drivers seat is quite loose and noticeable when braking/accelerating. All bolts are tight. Brought it to Thousand Oaks Lotus today to have the brakes flushed and Ray is going to check into it...

Mark

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
My drivers seat is quite loose and noticeable when braking/accelerating. All bolts are tight. Brought it to Thousand Oaks Lotus today to have the brakes flushed and Ray is going to check into it...

Mark
Let us know if they find a simple solution - mine is the same way and I haven't been bothered enough to pull the seat and see if there's anything I can bend to tighten things up.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I posted months ago looking for a passenger side bracket and I am still looking. It also bothers me that the seats are not evenly positioned (ie all the way back the Drivers seat is slightly behind the passenger side seat, one notch up it is slightly forward).

Ron

PS I know, I am anal.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Let us know if they find a simple solution - mine is the same way and I haven't been bothered enough to pull the seat and see if there's anything I can bend to tighten things up.
They felt that the play was excessive and have ordered new rails for the seat...warranty :cool: They also did some service bulletin work, ordered new carpet due to battery leakage, and did an awesome job on the brake flush. And charged less than quoted :up:

Yeah, I'm pleased ...those guys are great. Ray is extremely helpful and Rich seems genuinely intent on making everything in the car right.

Mark

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
They felt that the play was excessive and have ordered new rails for the seat...warranty :cool: They also did some service bulletin work, ordered new carpet due to battery leakage, and did an awesome job on the brake flush. And charged less than quoted :up:

Yeah, I'm pleased ...those guys are great. Ray is extremely helpful and Rich seems genuinely intent on making everything in the car right.

Mark
Cool, but I'm guessing that means the only currently known fix is replacing the seat rails?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts