The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dropped off my car at a valet in Monterey, California today. When picking up the car, we discovered the valet couldn't open the door and nor could I -- the driver's side door button doesn't have any "play" (feels like it just goes in and out without engaging, but the spring action works).

Any ideas? I'm having to open the door from the passenger side now. I'm not ready to blame the valet until I understand what's busted (I never trust them.)

thanks all
-scott
:shrug:

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
sounds like some one put the key in the door and "locked" it, hence disengaged the opener.... try "unlocking" the door by putting the key in and turning.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Did someone use the key to lock the driver's door? (not the alarm fob, but the key itself)

EDIT: scooped by fitfan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that was weird

Okay I'm the biggest moron, although I've *never* used the key on the door. I had no idea that it had such a nonstandard lock. Weird combination of turn/push there… but it's working, thanks!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...yep, the same thing happened to mehve at a carwash; really spooked the staff that they'd broken her door by accident...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Man, I am so glad I searched and found this thread. The same thing just happened to me after valet parking my car at a hotel. I thought the door mechanism was broken since I've had the interior door handle mechanism go bad. It would have been very embarrassing to take my car to the dealer only to have them "fix" my car in 15 seconds with my key.

Whew!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Me too just had the same problem... freaked out and used the key and its working now

Gotta love forums like this

thanks guys

·
Registered
689 Posts
Gotta love the locking mechanisms that our cars provide. If it wasn't for this Forum I think many of us would be stuck shaking our heads with our arms in the air- you might say. Just standing there looking at the car //?????? Interesting engineering ahhhhh.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yep, this forum is great.
Or.... y'all could try reading the instructions that come with the car. -poke-

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Okay I'm the biggest moron, although I've *never* used the key on the door. I had no idea that it had such a nonstandard lock. Weird combination of turn/push there… but it's working, thanks!
For those that haven't figured it out yet, there are two entirely different door locking mechanisms in the car. The "power" door lock operates internally in the door to lock the mechanism.

The key in the door button simply disconnects the button and prevents it from being able to open the door.

The two systems are totally unconnected to each other.

Yep, this forum is great.
Or.... y'all could try reading the instructions that come with the car. -poke-
Yep, it's in the Owner's Manual. ;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
I had my car in for service this week and encountered the same driver's side door button mystery. I was glad to find this thread and the simple "fix." I rarely lock the Elise--even with the remote--so this was new territory for me.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
This same thing happened to me a while ago when I first got my elise. It was a valet only parking lot and I couldnt figure out why it wasnt working. Thankfully my long time Lotus owner friend was with me.

·
Registered
974 Posts
y'all could try reading the instructions that come with the car. -poke-
You mean people actually read car manuals? I prefer not to. then years later I come across "bonus features". ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts