The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am just getting going on my LOG32 registration, and have some questions regarding the Driver`s Education session.

By way of background (and introduction as this is my first post), I have a 1969 Lotus Elan Plus 2 road car (no roll bar) that is completely restored and road worthy, Spyder frame, five speed, sun roof. Considering new tires for the drive. After driving the car half way across Canada, I did a frame off resto over about three years. Have had the car running for about two years now, and this summer is the first time I have it really sorted. Have already done one ~2,000 mile trip to Vancouver with only minor problems.

Would be driving the car from Calgary Alberta. I drove the car to my first LOG in Las Vegas last year with minimal issues, but I don't think a Driver Education session was offered there?

So, some questions...

Would an older car like mine be OK/welcome at the Driver`s Education sessions?

I have only participated in one lunch time open lapping session locally, and have not participated in any other competitive motorsport before. Have been driving for forty years, and bikes for like twenty. Is this level of experience sufficient for the session?

What stuff would I have to bring to participate? I assume a current full face motorcycle helmet would be required. Anything else? Cotton clothing and running shoes sufficient?

Any other info appreciated. What is the format for the day; a mix of classroom and track exercises? Do instructors ride in the car with you? Any items to check prior to leaving to ensure tech inspection goes OK? Bring a lunch? ;)

Thanks in advance for clearing up some newbie questions. Pretty keen to try the session but a bit apprehensive as well. :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Traditionally: There is an instructor in every car. The night before the event they hold a drivers meeting that runs for 1-2 hours then go over stuff in the morning.

Contact Jim Roberts (find his info at Lotus Limited, ltd -- Lotus car Club, Club, Car Club, Elise, Europa, Esprit, Elan, Eclat, Elite, Lotus Ltd) he has been coordinating the drivers' education events for Lotus Ltd.

A few years ago I drove my 1958 Seven at the LOG driver education event so they definitely accommodated an old slow car with a old slow novice driver.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Dean for the info. I will send off the stuff today and follow up as suggested. See you there!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts