The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has sat in one? what is the driving position like? do the seats have good bolsters? Is there adequate foot room? How about pedal position is it good for heel and toe shifting?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Driving position and bolstering in the euro 111s are very good. The fed seats are a bit wider but it's likely they are very good as well. The pedals are positioned very well for heel and toeing- but the accelerator is pretty close to the dividing bulkhead. The brake is close to the gas as well. Unless the fed car has more spacing btwn the accel and brake, you may need driving shoes so that your foot does'nt partially catch the brake while hitting the gas. I'm sure show-goers can comment better on this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, at the LA show

I'm 6ft2, 200#, w/ a taller upper body (32-in inseam pants...)

what is the driving position like?
good, but the seat doesn't recline, only front/back. its an upright style as taught in most driving schools w/ arms bent. the steering wheel is small and has thumb rests to set your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock.

do the seats have good bolsters?
yes, but not exagerated. both sport and standard packages are cloth to minimize abuse of leather and slippage

Is there adequate foot room?
up to about a 11C/D. 10EE shoues won't fit. I'm a 10 1/2 C/D and had enough room, except for the dead pedal space on the left

How about pedal position is it good for heel and toe shifting?
perfect. and room for left foot braking, too.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I sat in one of the cars at the show and talked to Tony Shute there. Apparently, they have moved the central divider about 3/4 of an inch over to the passenger side. This makes the pedals a hell of alot more available. In euro cars I have to either put my right heel almost under the clutch and press the accelerator with my toe, or wear really narrow shoes. In the federal model I could almost manage with my really wide shoes. It's made a big difference and addressed one of my prime concerns.

Steve

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I test drove the silver demo (a 111s, correct?). I'm 5'6" and I could barely get the seat close enough to the pedals to avoid having to point my toes to reach. My head and arms also ended up farther back than I would like.

I do like to sit up close to the wheel and pedals, with the seat fairly upright. I like to sit even closer for autocrossing.

I hope the seats in the Federal car adjust farther forward than in the car I drove.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I sat in several of the cars at the LA Auto Show - The gas and brake pedals are pretty close together. On one car, the side of my shoe (9E) rubbed against the brake where as on another car, I had about a cm of room. Upon asking, I was told that the pedals were not adjustable.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
John Stimson said:
I hope the seats in the Federal car adjust farther forward than in the car I drove.
On the european Elise there is a trick here. Hopefully it also works on the federal one..

By removing the driver's seat and then reversing the sliders you gain about an inch of forward travel on the seat (strangely enough you don't lose at much at the back..)

For most people that's just the little bit they need.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sat in one at the LA show on 1/6, and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of room in the pedal box- I have size 13 feet, and wearing Adidas tennis shoes, I fit with no problem. The pedals are PERFECT for heel and toe; very nicely spaced and positioned.

Nick Adams (a perfect gentleman, stoically ignoring a raging headcold in order to candidly and enthusiastically answer any and all questions about the cars) was kind enough to guide me through the "getting in / getting out" dance, and it's not that bad if you're reasonably limber. I'm 6' 2", and it worked fine. Definitely easier with the top off, though.

The one thing that I hadn't thought of before sitting in it, but definitely noticed, is that being tall, the small steering wheel (which is much easier to slide in under than a big one) makes it somewhat difficult to see the top portion of the guage cluster- the top of the steering wheel rim is in the line of sight for my seating position. Minor quibble, though- the car fits like a glove- very comfortable to sit in, and though the bolstering is substantial, if I keep going to the gym the seats won't be an interference fit with my hip bones. (~37" waist) I don't expect that anybody much wider than me would be very comfortable in the seats.

Mr. Adams pointed out that there were several reasons that the passenger seat is fixed- not only does it save weight (fewer moving parts and assemblies) but also ensures that the passenger - who is basically BALLAST - is correctly positioned where they ought to be for balance. (made me smile)

The rear trunk was much bigger than I expected, and though a chunk of the left side is occupied by the battery box, it's pretty roomy if one packs with soft duffels that can conform to the space. The folded softtop took up practically no space at all...

It's gonna be a long wait! (ugh)

-Knute

·
Registered
971 Posts
drrjv said:
I sat in several of the cars at the LA Auto Show - The gas and brake pedals are pretty close together. On one car, the side of my shoe (9E) rubbed against the brake where as on another car, I had about a cm of room. Upon asking, I was told that the pedals were not adjustable.
As I was driving home from work today I was reminded of another reason that the Elise won't be a winter car. The pedals are too close for driving with bunny boots.:D

·
Registered
148 Posts
I remember back when I took a test drive in the euro-spec version in Feb...

The salesman looked down at my feet and asked if if I was gonna drive the car with "those on"! I perpetually wear Doc Marten 14 hole boots. I said it wouldn't be a problem. I was easily able to drive the car and heel-toe with them on... I'm used to close pedal spacing.

Foot room didn't seem to be a problem but the steering wheel was... Anyone else notice that the steering wheel is much closer to you than the euro-spec car??? Or am I imagining it? It seems that the airbag equipped steering wheel is thicker so my arms are even more bent than I like....

Jose Soriano

1 - 10 of 10 Posts