The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-eek- :eek: :confused:

So driving home today I started to hear a slight "tap tap tap" at low speeds and at high speeds the car felt "loose" in the back. Breaking was very poor and had a very sluggish response.

Scared the ever living crap out of me that something major had gone wrong...

Nope!

Even torqued down to an appropriate level my drivers side rear wheel had 3 loose lugs and that was it.

Tightened them back up and wham back to full capacity.

I have no idea how this happened, I had no idea that if you followed the directions it would happen with normal daily driving - no track - no anything but rare spurts of speed.

I just wanted to put that out there for others to read because it is the first time it had ever happened to me and I just heard from another that it has happened to them in the exact same location on their car.

Word of warning - check your lugs every once and a while to avoid that "Ohh :panic: Sh*t" moment.

--J :mw:

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a soul. That is why it was so scary. The word is from the Lotus Tech I called about it said it has happened in the past and he now recommends torquing to 95lbs as opposed to 77lbs.

·
Registered
396 Posts
That is some scary chit. Thanks for the heads-up. Motivation to finally order that extra lug bolt adapter to make checking this quick and easy.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Going to the garage right now.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
You need to torque your wheels every time you go driving....

·
Registered
597 Posts
Uh, aren't you the guy who bought a new set of lug bolts a few weeks ago after asking the board about the special key? Clearly you swapped out the bolts recently. Just own up to it, man, you're not the first!

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
For right hand threads, the left side of the vehicle should self-tighten. So I'd venture to guess you didn't fully tighten the bolts during install even if you think you did. Or perhaps something else interfered with correct installation, like a wheel not fully seated against the hub/rotor top hat.

Glen

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
And I would even venture to say that it could possibly have been your torque wrench not actually being accurate. I mean every torque wrench becomes miscallibrated over time, so the one you used could just been off and applied less pressure than you thought.

But the idea that you just might have missed the three, or you tightened in the wrong sequence could also be the case.

·
Registered
878 Posts
lug nut torque

You need to torque your wheels every time you go driving....
I've never had anything loosen that was properly torqued.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Scary man.. Glad you're alright.. What a close call...

I always torque my own wheels. And I do it at 85lbs.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to check my wheels just to be safe. It's a few months since I last tightened them.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
WoH: I never said "I didn't do it", this was a warning and what happened to me. I have no doubt it was my fault somehow just not the specific thing I messed up.

THOUGH your remembering my purchase of the adapter and new lugs isn't quite correct as the adapter was needed for the tire shop to put on new tires and the new lugs are still in their shipping baggie awaiting either black anodizing or some form of paint that when it chips it won't be too bad - not sure yet.

The last time I worked on the wheels was just over 6k miles ago so it took a while for it to become an issue.

Edit: I purchased the lugs 4-4-12 :) that is a lot of weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
Didn't you go to the track last month?? That is what loosened things up. I re-torque at least 2-3 times during a track day. I f you never did anything during the day , they were loose at end of that day!!

·
Illegal Alien
4,987 Posts
-eek- :eek: :confused:

So driving home today I started to hear a slight "tap tap tap" at low speeds and at high speeds the car felt "loose" in the back. Breaking was very poor and had a very sluggish response.

Scared the ever living crap out of me that something major had gone wrong...

Nope!

Even torqued down to an appropriate level my drivers side rear wheel had 3 loose lugs and that was it.

Tightened them back up and wham back to full capacity.

I have no idea how this happened, I had no idea that if you followed the directions it would happen with normal daily driving - no track - no anything but rare spurts of speed.

I just wanted to put that out there for others to read because it is the first time it had ever happened to me and I just heard from another that it has happened to them in the exact same location on their car.

Word of warning - check your lugs every once and a while to avoid that "Ohh :panic: Sh*t" moment.

--J :mw:
I would replace those lug bolts they have now been over stressed in bending and can not be trusted.
TADTS

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
For right hand threads, the left side of the vehicle should self-tighten.
Really? Then why did Chrysler used to use left-hand threads on the left side of the car?

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts