The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for insights from taller Evora owners.

I keep the driver's seat at its almost-furthest-back point. The problem I have is that the driver's side mirror doesn't rotate out quite far enough. From this seating position I get mostly an eye-ful of the rear haunch of my car which, beautiful though it is, doesn't give me great visibility into the lane next to me.

If I pull the seat a half foot further forward, the mirror can be properly adjusted to nearly eliminate the blind spot, but from the seat's aft position the blind spot is problematic.

Is there any way to either improve the mirror's range?

·
Premium Member
Caterham Superlite R Evora 400
199 Posts
Yep I noticed I cant push the mirror out far enough so I just lean forward if I am unsure that I am clear
The only other option is t get a small convex stick on mirror place it in the upper out side corner
looks like crap but will eliminate your blind spot

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT. Monaco white. 6spd MT
38 Posts
Greg's Race Parts sells "Extendview" convex mirror glass for both series of Evoras. I haven't tried them, but I understand they help. ExtendView Mirrors for Evora 400, 410, 430, GT – GregsRaceParts.com

If you look at the mirror when it is folded on the GT, the inner edge of the glass almost hits the base as the mirror folds, at least if you have the mirror glass adjusted all the way "out".

I have just got in the habit of moving the seat further forward than I otherwise might. I'm 5'-10", and I like the forward driving position anyway, allows me to make sure I get the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

Kevin

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I try to get the drivers side mirror far enough to see it sticks out the bottom of the housing causing the automatic fold feature to stop/catch 3/4 of the way.

So I readjusted to where I kinda can see and just do a triple check of mirrors / blind spots with a big head turn.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greg's Race Parts sells "Extendview" convex mirror glass for both series of Evoras. I haven't tried them, but I understand they help. ExtendView Mirrors for Evora 400, 410, 430, GT – GregsRaceParts.com

If you look at the mirror when it is folded on the GT, the inner edge of the glass almost hits the base as the mirror folds, at least if you have the mirror glass adjusted all the way "out".

I have just got in the habit of moving the seat further forward than I otherwise might. I'm 5'-10", and I like the forward driving position anyway, allows me to make sure I get the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

Kevin
Thanks!

The modified mirrors aren't cheap, but it's enough of an annoyance for me that I ordered a set to try them out. I hadn't noticed the issue you mention when the mirrors folded in, but I can see why that would cause an issue.

I tried moving the seat forward but at 6'3" I can't get comfortable with the seat forward enough to make the mirrors more useful. Hopefully the modified mirror will do the trick without causing too much distortion!

·
Premium Member
Caterham Superlite R Evora 400
199 Posts
Please let us know you thoughts once installed

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So my mirrors arrived. I was really excited and hopeful. Unfortunately I've had to remove them. I feel a little guilty posting this because I really appreciate that someone is making a niche product like this for our already niche vehicles.

It's hard to explain exactly what the issue was. The inner 80% of the mirror is more or less "normal" (not much curve). Then there's a noticeable line on the mirror and the far 20% has an extreme distortion. I parked my truck approximately in my blind spot and took a before and after picture:

Standard mirror:

Aspheric mirror

I think because the picture is from a single camera lens, rather than two eyes, it doesn't really show the issue I have in real life. In real life looking at the mirror is almost physically painful, and actually does absolutely nothing to help me see the blind spot. It makes me feel like my eyes are crossed, and I have a hard time processing anything in the mirror, much less anything on the aspheric portion. After checking the mirror it takes me several seconds to be able to focus on the road again. I can't explain why, and maybe this is a "me" problem rather than a problem with the mirror. My guess is that my eyes are each seeing the dramatically aspheric part of the mirror from a different angle, which results in an incoherent signal to m visual cortex.

I didn't install the passenger mirror because I don't get a really bad blind spot on the passenger side. I suspect the passenger side wouldn't be as bad, because you're sitting further from it.

Anyway, based on my experience alone, I wouldn't recommend these mirrors. I wish the mirror had a constant asphericity (is that a word?) for the whole mirror so there wasn't a sudden fall-off on the edge. I'm guessing that's the root of my problem.

That said, if anyone wants them I'll sell them for half of the GRP price, shipped anywhere in the US! Maybe they'll work better for someone else.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree, it does look weird. I don't focus on the aspheric portion per say, I just look to see if it looks like just asphalt there or if there is something there. It's just a big picture, yes or no thing just because the picture is so distorted/weird.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts