The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background history: I purchased a 2017 Lotus Evora 400 back in mid February 2020 just before the Covid 19 restrictions. The vehicle had 2 miles on the odometer and it was never titled. I had the car shipped from another state that is some distance from my home. At the time, I went over the car pretty thoroughly with the Lotus dealer. The warranty was punched some time ago so I purchased the car with no factory warranty. The car now has a grand total 265 miles on the odometer and I have two issues.
  • My immediate problem is the driver's side window does not go down. The window does not move at all, including the auto drop when you open the door. The battery has a full charge and I pulled and checked the fuse - that is not the problem. Now I want to check the window switch and I am looking for some guidance on how to remove the switch? Do I need to remove the door panel to access the switch or does it just pop out with some gently prying? The passenger side window works okay.
  • The other longer term issue that I have was when I detailed the car. I found on the rear bumper several areas where there are small bubbles in the paint. Any ideas on what that is all about?
Any help or insight would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
1,457 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - I did see that post. My 400 looks a bit different than what was outlined. If I can get the window switch out easily and test it - that would be my preference and then move on to removing the door panel for a closer look at the window and the window motor/regulator . Thank you for looking at and responding to my posting.

·
Administrator
1,457 Posts
Did you try the reset in the first link?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure what you mean by the "reset".

If that means holding the window switch in the down position and then in the up position once the windows are all the way up and then down for two seconds - the answer is yes. I hear the click up/down on the switch for the passenger side window switch and on the drivers side I think I hear a click but it is not as pronounced as the passenger side.

·
Administrator
1,457 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi - I did see/read that posting as well. The door panel looks very different from my panel.

I also read on another posting to use a plastic knife and carefully pry up the window switch???

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
The 400 has different interior panels than the S1 cars. I suggest grabbing the entire set of service notes from VSIC for a few bucks; they're invaluable when it comes to troubleshooting and diagnosing most issues.

Here's what that section looks like though, for your window switches:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! --- I will go ahead and purchase the service notes. From what you have shown me it looks like the the window switches can be pried out without having to remove the door panel. I want to swap the passenger side switch with the drivers side switch and see if that is my problem. If that does not work, I guess I need to remove the door panel and see what is going on with the window assembly.

This was not what I was expecting to do with a car that looks this great!

Evie.jpeg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,
  • Battery fully charged.
  • Fuse good.
  • Window switch is good.
Could the window motor/regulator really be bad?

Any ideas on what this problem may be or next steps?

If I read the other postings correctly it sounds like Lotus's window assembly components are crap.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Unfortunately it does sound like the regulator is bad. They aren't the best components, which is surprising, as they're made by an Italian company that makes window regulators for all sorts of European vehicles. You would think that if their QC was that bad, other manufacturers would dump them.

I noticed on mine that the sealant that they use to keep the elements out tends to break down and get brittle over time. That really shouldn't apply in your case, since the vehicle is rather new, but it's always possible to get that one bad part out of a 1000.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you --- that was my thought when the window switch swap did not work. I will pull the service notes for removing the door panel and replacing the window motor/regulator. I sent an email out today to see if I can get my hands on a motor/regulator.

·
Administrator
1,457 Posts
yes .....https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/evora-window-regulator-cable-repair.431114/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks --- I read the link, he laid out the process pretty thoroughly. My window motor makes no noise at all. I can hear a click at the window switch but nothing coming from the window motor or for that fact any noise inside the door such as the crunching of the cable. Uggh.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts