The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured I'd tackle my repeat trams leak on drivers side on my 91se this past weekend. I pulled off the axle and went to put a new roll pin in with sealant on it as recommended by a couple guys and the pin went in up to about half inch left, then it wouldn't go any further. So I then also remembered people saying you can put the axle 180 out, so I pulled it back off and tried it at 180, same problem it would go in until there is about half inch left and won't go any further, I think I'm going to try to run a drill bit by hand in and see if there is a burr or something. Anyone run into this? The sealant on the pin did seem to rectify the leak though

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Standard problem with the subarus....
You real sure you didn't turn it 360 ?
I've done such things.
Try it again, check the feel thru the hole with a small punch/ screwdriver.
Sam

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Sounds like it's hanging up as it hits the hole edge on the opposite side of the axle.

Clean out the hole and check the alignment, I like to shine a light through the hole from the opposite side that I'm looking through and you should be able to see a perfect hole all the way through. If it's out 180 degrees, you can see that too.

I have on occasion when having difficulty, put a little more chamfer on the leading end of the roll pin.

Good idea to check for burrs too as you suggested.

Jim

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did it go in nicely and then stopped, or did it start tight and got tighter quick? If the latter, you may have gotten the wrong roll pins. I don't think anyone believed me, but the official pins I got were absolutely not correct. Don't force it! I had a real pain getting it out after I tried to bash it in.

I put up a video of the procedure as I did it just a little while if you're interested (2 parts).

Replacing Lotus Esprit axle seals, part 1 - YouTube
Replacing Lotus Esprit axle seals, part 2 - YouTube

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Standard problem with the subarus....
You real sure you didn't turn it 360 ?
I've done such things.
Try it again, check the feel thru the hole with a small punch/ screwdriver.
Sam
That's 180 degrees. What he means is, if you are 180 out, the hole may not line up. Had this on a Europa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts