The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lowest point and the point you contact (trust me!) is the small wind splitters that are molded in. They are lower than the rectangle for the license plate in the front.

The distance from the center of the tires on the ground to the first point on the splitter wings... is 28.5".

On the LSS car, they are 5.75" from the ground. That is 11.4 degrees.

On a non-LSS car, obviously it would be a little better.

I really don't think it matters about the angle of attack. The splitter wings will be about the same distance and require the same angle of clearance even if you came in at 30 degrees or even 45 degrees.

I do think it matters that you go very slow, since the compression of the car's suspension will temporarily decrease the clearance and you want that to minimize that.

And also.. don't do what I did. Watch out for the small bit where the driveways merges back up into the curb. Where I hit was only 1.5" high... but it was enough to cause damage.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i may have to pave 900 feet of driveway for this damn car. or move to civilization

·
Registered
228 Posts
My C4S is 6.25".

The GT3 I've been eying is at 5 1/4", and everyone complains about GT3s hitting everywhere around town.

But the nose on the pcars is longer (distance from tire contact patch to front lip, I'll measure tonight), so the Elise should have a much better aproach angle, so hopefully it won't be a problem for me.

I don't know whether I agree with you on the approach angle. On my Pcar, the lowest points are the outer sides portions of the lip spoiler, below the headlights. My driveway, taken at an angle, I get minimum clearance of 1.5". Taken head on, I get only 0.5" clearance. Should be the same with the Elise. . . take driveways, onramps at angles to the extent you can.

Think it over, the better the angle, the effect is collapsing the distance b/t the wind splitters and the tire contact patch.
--------

Randy, no track writeup yet?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are probably right. I think it's small though. If I can, I will measure the difference on my driveway. My main point is that angles are not as important as speed. I think that is true.

Track write up? Our autocrosses here are like road courses, 70+mph and over a mile long. But it's not track. I have yet to take it out to Buttonwillow or Willow Springs yet.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Going sideways over inclines essentially reduces the slope and helps reduce the penalty for having a long overhang. The first time driving a car with a long wheel base or sports car with a long overhang took some getting used to. Kept forgetting and then...:wallbang:

·
Registered
228 Posts
cool. can't wait to hear. i lost out on the recent delivery, as the original deposit holder 'backed-in' at the last minute. LOL..

Just measured my 911. 37" from contact patch of the front tires to lip spoiler, about 7" clearance (not the 6.25). Approach angle of 10.71. Worse than the Elise. I have not had issues as long as I angle things and take garage/driveway exits/entrances slowly.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Pegasus Racing has a product that may work.
www.Pegasusautoracing.com
It's called Special Highly Abrasion Resistant Chassis Wear Strip. It's 1" wide and either 1/4, 1/2. or 3/4 inch thick, sold by the inch. They can also custom cut shapees in the same thicknesses. I have a feeling it's a material similar to cutting boards (it's pictured in white). Of course it means that your car is even lower, and that you have to drill holes, but that may be better than a cracked clam.

You should also be able to find Delrin (a strong, machineable plastic) in black.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
maxxfish said:
Pegasus Racing has a product that may work.
www.Pegasusautoracing.com
It's called Special Highly Abrasion Resistant Chassis Wear Strip. It's 1" wide and either 1/4, 1/2. or 3/4 inch thick, sold by the inch. They can also custom cut shapees in the same thicknesses. I have a feeling it's a material similar to cutting boards (it's pictured in white). Of course it means that your car is even lower, and that you have to drill holes, but that may be better than a cracked clam.

You should also be able to find Delrin (a strong, machineable plastic) in black.

I thought about mentioning that then I realised that the stuff is tougher than the Elise bodywork, plus it is thick(lowers ground clearance) so you can imagine where you'll hear the "craaack!".
somewhere higher up at a close to visible attachment point for the clam.( Sod's Law)

m

1 - 8 of 8 Posts