The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to go and pickup my new car from Virginia and will be driving some 1500 miles back home. I'm mildly concerned about driving in rain with A048s. Any experience/suggestion?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Resist the need for speed in the rain.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dial it back and do no more than the posted speed limit (I feel scared over 60 in the rain with AD07. A048 are even worse).
If you have tread, you should be OK. Sounds like it is a used car, so I am betting you will have little to no tread.

VA is not expecting rain all week.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6-7 months old Exige S with 1500 miles! Tires looks fine.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Don't accelerate too hard
Don't brake too hard
Don't corner too hard
Don't tailgate
Do imagine the pedals are egg shells
:)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
lol rainy days were the only time I could really enjoy some oversteer in this car without having to be high speed rotfl

If you have driven rwd sports cars in the past, you will be fine. Honestly my miata was alot scarier in the rain than my elise(Turbo Elise*).

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
ive done it before, (2hr drive in rain almost bald rear a048) it aint fun nor is it safe, but it can be done :shift:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Dont go past ~65 (edit: thats the limit, be well under), it gets SCARY, really is, coming from me, no kidding

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh, crap. maybe I should have had it shipped here. Whatevaa... I'm committed now. :D

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
On average here you will be about to the halfway point with those tires by the time you get home (rear tire that is). So there should be good tread there, just don’t even thing about going medium speed thru or around anything you aren’t 100% familiar with when its wet out.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
You could buy a new (different) set of tires around where you are getting the car. Then ship the 048s home and drive home on something more all-weather friendly. And compared to the 048s that would be most every tire.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
If there's little or no tread left, even if it isn't raining, take it easy, particulary when you're on unfamiliar ground. If they're new or newer, speed limit or less.

I got caught in a hellacious mountain rainstorm Friday and drove from Vail to Denver in a deluge on AD07s. It was a tad sketchy although it turned out OK, but the tires still have tread and haven't been too heat cycled...and I know the roads well.

1500 miles is a long drive! Be safe. Congrats on the car.

Tom

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I agree with TheViper don’t be intimidated, just drive a bit timid if its wet out.
What route are you going to take on your way home? Others here may be able to give you some advice as where to and where not to go. Or when to/not to go somewhere.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Driving from Norfolk (VA) to Houston (TX), starting on Thursday afternoon. Due to Fay I'm considering VA-NC-TN-AR-TX. Initially, it was VA-NC-SC-GA-AL-MS-LA-TX. I'll check weather.com on Thursday and decide accordingly.

Map.JPG

Modified route

map2.JPG

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
If the tires are very worn you'll be low on traction, but I found my Elise with fairly new A048's to be awesome in the rain. I got stuck in a nasty storm one day and thought it was going to be hell, but they were predictable and I never hydroplaned even once. Once I got off of the highway and hit the surface streets it was one of the best times that I had in my Elise. Just take things easy and be very alert, but you'll be fine.

Oh - and congrats on the new car!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts