The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this video in another forum

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uk2p2nRK-p4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uk2p2nRK-p4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you forward to 2:30, you'll see some excellent data analysis of how Schumacher's precision in throttle modulation makes him rise above other drivers.
I think a datalogger would be very helpful to analyze such driving techniques.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
That's a cool comparision. F1 cars have an amazing amount of telemetry... it's a bit harder to get all that installed in a street/track car (even an SRF).

If you're logging G's, you can still get a good indication of how much of the car's performance is being utilized by the driver. This is from the Traqmate manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
Interesting video. Schumacher is definitely a bad A$$! :coolnana:

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a cool comparision. F1 cars have an amazing amount of telemetry... it's a bit harder to get all that installed in a street/track car (even an SRF).

If you're logging G's, you can still get a good indication of how much of the car's performance is being utilized by the driver. This is from the Traqmate manual:
Hey Andy, I know we've touched upon this before, and I wish I had some AIM graphs to show. But I have seen my fellow SRF drivers with AIM's comparing their track analysis, and they show precise data slopes of how much throttle modulation or brake modulation is involved.
We have the technology to take advantage of such data!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

So what does this mean?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey Andy, I know we've touched upon this before, and I wish I had some AIM graphs to show. But I have seen my fellow SRF drivers with AIM's comparing their track analysis, and they show precise data slopes of how much throttle modulation or brake modulation is involved.
That's cool... I don't know the AIM system, it sounds like there's a throttle position sensor and brake pressure sensor. Is there a steering position sensor as well? That would be very cool.

When I took the Skip Barber course, they had one of their cars fully wired for sensors... Gs, thottle, brake, speed, RPM, steering position, gear, etc.

So what does this mean?
Looks good to me... your G circle just seems to have braking down and acceleration up. It doesn't seem like you're spending much time away from the edge of the car's capability. I can't tell whether the left side of your graph is left or right Gs, but it looks like you're a little off the limit on the left side of the second graph... without knowing where on the track that is, it's hard to say why...

EDIT: I'd guess the cornering speeds are higher on your lap 6, but the transitions look better on the other graph's lap 2. It also looks like the car on the right (your car?) has a higher power/weight ratio

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
AIM data system>traqmate data system

1 - 10 of 10 Posts