The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Risking being flamed I have a question. Do they still use driving gloves? Not for racing, but for 'spirited' driving. You know ala 1960's, short profile, leather, with vented back and no padding.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
babak said:
Risking being flamed I have a question. Do they still use driving gloves? Not for racing, but for 'spirited' driving. You know ala 1960's, short profile, leather, with vented back and no padding.
Yes they do. However, they evolved to reflect current social driving changes.

They come in gauntlet form too:

However, if you're more of a passive driver, you may prefer one of these:

http://www.asdiansi.com/driving.htm
http://www.speedstash.com/driving_gloves.html

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I thought about it after seeing a guy on history/tlc/disocvery in an old clip driving a roadster. Made me think that I had not seen anybody wear those in a long time.

As to Icon gloves. I would not wear riding gloves with studs. Yes you'll slide on them but there is also a good chance that they'll have to dig them out of your palm. I wear Tourmasters, good fit actually.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I wear Fisk driving gloves that were made for cops. Good looks & they are built better than the cosmetic ones you get from a regular retail places.

I like driving gloves because when you drive it keeps a consistant amount of friction for long periods of time. Drive a long distance or drive hard & your hands tend to builds up oils, sweat & such changing how the steering wheel feels in your hands. They are good for autocrossing, track work & long distance drives.

Be aware - driving gloves are the subject of many opinions. Search for a post I made last fall about driving gloves and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I was thinking about the same thing the other day, will keep the steering wheel sweat and hand grease free.

If I look like a dork because of it, well... I really don't care :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My right hand driving glove has a day glow orange elongated middle "driving finger" (can get either right or left handed or both) :D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cerven said:
My right hand driving glove has a day glow orange elongated middle "driving finger" (can get either right or left handed or both) :D
So you hold up a full hand and tell them to read in between the lines? :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts