The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard anything of these and the other dealer fit options? Do the dealers have a clue of what where and when?

They 'used' to be a factory spec' option in the UK but seem to be a dealer option here. I could of course ask my dealer... but then that'd be daft wouldn't it!

be interested if anyone has heard anything useful.

Paul:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hope this helps?

I called Andy at Matheny (Jacksonville, FL). I hadn't talked to him since getting on the list in 1/04. He felt certain that the tech. training scheduled after the press week/s coming up would address aftermarket/dealer options. He has not received anything on the lights/exhaust/3M application since the original stuff early this year. So, sorry basically no new news?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm mixed on the driving lights. More light is a good thing, but I've now become acustomed to the Elise w/o driving lights. She looks cleaner w/o and meaner with.

I will get the paint protection(clear bra) and the protector for the bottom of the nose so I don't crack the fiberglass going up and down driveways.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
NO driving lights make the front much less busy and cluttered in my opinion, most of the press launch cars do have the driving lights in place.
Chris

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My understanding is that the driving lights would be too low to meet California requirements, so they cannot be installed by the manufacturer. However, the dealers can add them and reportedly will for a couple of hundred dollars. My dealer has no info on this or other dealer installed options yet.

I'm undecided. At first I really liked the look (possibly because I was accustomed to seeing them on the cars), but as Chris said, the front looks less cluttered without them.

·
Registered
788 Posts
They do require a diff grill to unless one is willing to Mod the existing one. Part of the kit I was told at LA show. Any idea what HID retro kit would cost if avail?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If you need a different grill, that makes it sound a little more expensive.

At the LA Auto Show, the Lotus guys said that the cars would be prewired to accept the driving lights and it would be fairly simple for the dealers to hook them up.

I'm leaning towards not wanting them.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'll pass on the driving lights. At that height they will be broken in no time. This is the car to drive on nice sunny days anyway. A nice pair of sunglasses would be money better spent.:cool:

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
NO driving lights make the front much less busy and cluttered in my opinion, most of the press launch cars do have the driving lights in place.
i'm not going to get them either, i agree with chris. well 95% sure.
ara

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
GabbaGabbaHey said:
They do require a diff grill to unless one is willing to Mod the existing one.
Existing grille + dremel cutter == done! :)

Very simple job.. It's just a plastic grille that's clipped in place, nothing serious.

Here in europe all S2's come with the wiring for the driving lights installed, so if you locate some suitable lights and brackets you could even fit these and not the 'official' ones..

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think I will get them.

I prefer the uncluttered look, but after my string of accidents (not my fault), I've decided on a couple of things:

1) Ardent Red (for visibility)
2) Driving Lights (wired to be Daytime Running Lights) so others WILL see me.

With the Elise being so low, I am a bit concerned that people will not be able to see me. Especially in Huntington Beach (aka: Land of Trucks and SUVs with 8" lift kits.) :rolleyes:

As for damage to the driving lights, I plan to have those covered with the clear bra material (along with the whole nose and headlights of the Elise.) If they're more prone to rock damage, then I'll use the 40 mil thick X-Pel product (instead of the 6 mil thick clear bra product.)

Bob

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zcar222 said:
I could care less about the driving lights. I just hope we get some HID xenon lights as options.

-Whit
I don't think that's a possibility, something about the size of the xenon tube and leveling mechanism.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah..I'm thinking those HID kits will be one of my first tweeks...

Are they handed or is that all in the optics (which I assume are retained)?

Is overheating likely to be a problem?

:)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Paul MD said:
Yeah..I'm thinking those HID kits will be one of my first tweeks...

Are they handed or is that all in the optics (which I assume are retained)?
Purely optics. The HID kits only replace the H1 halogen bulb with a HID capsule and you add the ballast/igniter.

No other changes are done.

Is overheating likely to be a problem?

:)
No. Actually they run cooler. Halogen bulbs are 55W each and HID capsules run at around 35W each. HID is much more efficient when it comes to turning electrons/power into light than a filament.

Only the startup current on HID capsules (to get them to 'fire') is higher, but that's only a few seconds.

Bye, Arno.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts