The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide if I want to install driving lights.

Opinions?

Also, how do they operate? Can they be turned on without the high beams or do they operate only when the high beams are on? I'm not clear. It seems like they should be able to operate separately, but I'm still not sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Do it - absolutely, do it.

They can be hacked to turn on independently of the high beams but will only come on with them in the factory configuration.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
I like mine. But then I have out in HIDs in the regular lights. Quite a difference on both counts.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
You can only safely use driving lights when it's safe to use high beams, so there's really no need to operate them separately.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, followup question. If they operate only with the highbeams, what is the advantage of having them? I guess in my location high beams can be used 1-2% of the time because we have so much traffic. Are they worth it still?

I dispise HID lights in cars, are their brighter alternatives without going to those "retina burners?"

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I hear the SilverStar bulbs are a bit brighter than OEM.

But why the heck would you despise HIDs? They're only "retina burners" when people don't have them aimed properly.

xtn

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear the SilverStar bulbs are a bit brighter than OEM.

But why the heck would you despise HIDs? They're only "retina burners" when people don't have them aimed properly.

xtn
Because virtuall 100% of the cars driven around here have them aimed at the wrong and they are in SUVs that point right in ones eyes. They also seem to always bounce so they flash into oncoming drivers eyes like they are flashing their high beams. They are too bright in my opinion and shouldn't have been allowed in cars and hopefully one day will be removed from the approved headlights by DOT. There have been way too many times I haven't been able to see the road when a BMW or Merc was coming my way. Not even in the Lotus, I'm talking about any car I've driven. It's not right to blind the other drivers just to have brighter lights.

I've thought about the silverstar as they also seem to have a wider whiter beam.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
RegGuy -

You're correct about many headlights being aimed improperly. NJ Inspection gave up checking headlight aim years ago. SUV popularity has only exacerbated this situation. Bad when in my corolla, horrible in the elise.

I recently installed HID low beams (DaBears) and aimed them correctly. These are wonderful: very wide, bright beams, which I angled up on the RH side to potentially spot deer coming from that shoulder. No one has flashed hdlites at me, so I guess they're OK.

The benefit is that these are the lights that are on 100% of the time. They are brighter than my Piaa hi beams.

If you go to driving lights, simply use the hi beam wire to trip the dl relay. Having done it this way since the 70s, I can tell you that there is no situation in which you'd want the highs and not the dls, or vice-versa.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
You can only safely use driving lights when it's safe to use high beams, so there's really no need to operate them separately.
+1 Correct.

OK, followup question. If they operate only with the highbeams, what is the advantage of having them? I guess in my location high beams can be used 1-2% of the time because we have so much traffic. Are they worth it still?
The Driving Lights are very bright, long range high beams. When you hit the high beams, the road really lights up in front of you, and more importantly, it lights up very far down the road. It's great when you are driving down a deserted road in the dark. But not useful when other cars are around. A they worth it? It depends on your driving. I have not regretted installing them on my car - I really like them.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
i thougth the kit comes with another panel and extra button?
It does, but the button just enables them with the high beams or keeps them off when the high beams are on.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I have my stock driving lights disabled, HIDs installed in the grill area to come on at ignition just like the stock driving lights did, but with a seperate switch in the cabin. So now I can operate them independently of the other lights. I love them, but I am concerned about the intensity in oncoming traffic's eyes, so I'm thinking about installing some sort cover to reduce the intensity. Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Tim & Matt - No offense, I disagree. I use them as fog lights and have them angled level or slightly downward. I use my high beams to light up far down the road but use my driving lights as fog lights.

BTW - I have it set up so that the driving lights and the high beams work independently.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Driving Lights are very bright, long range high beams. When you hit the high beams, the road really lights up in front of you, and more importantly, it lights up very far down the road. It's great when you are driving down a deserted road in the dark. But not useful when other cars are around. A they worth it? It depends on your driving. I have not regretted installing them on my car - I really like them.
Ah, I get it now.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have always wanted to add the driving lights to my early 05, just kept it low priority as I rarely drive the Lotus at night. I saw a set for sale on Ebay, but haven't seen anyplace else that sells the ones made for my car.

Does anyone know if they're still available and who sells them. I've read many of Tim's posts about how good they are and how to install them. As we have similar cars, I think my install should go almost exactly the same. Maybe then I'll drive my car more at night. In any case, I like the way they look.

Steve

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Tim & Matt - No offense, I disagree. I use them as fog lights and have them angled level or slightly downward. I use my high beams to light up far down the road but use my driving lights as fog lights.

BTW - I have it set up so that the driving lights and the high beams work independently.
Me too! :up:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
got ya :up:
Oh, yeah - that is, unless you do the indepent driving light hack.
I haven't, so I can't recall offhand what's required but it seemed pretty simple.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I have always wanted to add the driving lights to my early 05, just kept it low priority as I rarely drive the Lotus at night. I saw a set for sale on Ebay, but haven't seen anyplace else that sells the ones made for my car.

Does anyone know if they're still available and who sells them. I've read many of Tim's posts about how good they are and how to install them. As we have similar cars, I think my install should go almost exactly the same. Maybe then I'll drive my car more at night. In any case, I like the way they look.

Steve
The Lotus kit I bought had everything needed for installation on '05-'07 cars. Try calling John at Fox Valley Motor Cars 888-798-4422. I bought mine from him and was very pleased with the service and the product.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts