The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I've participated Road America's Winter Autocross event this past Saturday and it was super fun.

After the Autocross event, RA allowed participants to drive around snow filled Road America race track.

This along with 640mile Road trip that I took leading up to Road America event allowed me to see that Evora is surprisingly good at tackling snow.

Major advantages are
1. Its heavier than other Lotus products
2. Its mid-engine (more weight on traction)
3. Its relatively low powered (with not much torque - for NA version at least)

That being said, car will slide if driven too fast (Autocross itself used the kart track for one event and turn 14 for high speed event)

But than I still won RWD class in Winter Autocross so I'm just being humble to put on emphasis on me winning.

Oh yeah, also someone contact Lotus and put my name next to Jim Clark. (But than British beating Germans and Japanese is probably not that noteworthy)

So yeah, Winter Autocross is SUPER FUN, making my 10 hour drive worth it.
Its held at Road America, WI and I would 100% recommend.... just close your window when you drive there so that snow doesn't enter the cabin.

·
Administrator
2,690 Posts
Sounds like a blast having a snowy autocross!

Reactions: SuHong Kim

·
Less is Better
2,758 Posts
That's so much fun! There aren't many times where you'll be paced by a pickup truck on a track :) What tires did you run?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's so much fun! There aren't many times where you'll be paced by a pickup truck on a track :) What tires did you run?
Nokian all-weathers that I run thorough out the year! (I have another set of RE71Rs for autocross!)

·
Less is Better
2,758 Posts
Nokian all-weathers that I run thorough out the year! (I have another set of RE71Rs for autocross!)
Dedicated snow tires make a world of difference. The most impactful aspect being braking and just being able to control the mayhem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dedicated snow tires make a world of difference. The most impactful aspect being braking and just being able to control the mayhem.
True, but Nokian WR G4 is actually same thread pattern as their European-market Winter Performance tire. Only difference is they changed the compound just a bit to handle the warmth better .

So yeah, it doesn't stop as good as winters in the snow, but than it is much better in wet situation along with just a low temperature situation.

I'm pretty happy as I was gonna get Alpine type Winter performance tires anyways as I don't really need to drive the car in snow (I just... want to) and they kinda do poorly in snow anyways. IMO tire feels extremely similar in snow stopping to Wintersotto Zeros but than they do also suck in snow (but extremely good in low temperature dry/wet surface, just not good on snow)

Since it rains during winter in Illinois a lot, I would prefer less snow traction and better wet/dry cold traction!

But you are 100% right! Winter tires are great for snow and ice!

·
Less is Better
2,758 Posts
True, but Nokian WR G4 is actually same thread pattern as their European-market Winter Performance tire. Only difference is they changed the compound just a bit to handle the warmth better .

So yeah, it doesn't stop as good as winters in the snow, but than it is much better in wet situation along with just a low temperature situation.

I'm pretty happy as I was gonna get Alpine type Winter performance tires anyways as I don't really need to drive the car in snow (I just... want to) and they kinda do poorly in snow anyways. IMO tire feels extremely similar in snow stopping to Wintersotto Zeros but than they do also suck in snow (but extremely good in low temperature dry/wet surface, just not good on snow)

Since it rains during winter in Illinois a lot, I would prefer less snow traction and better wet/dry cold traction!

But you are 100% right! Winter tires are great for snow and ice!
I know what you mean. It's a challenge in Seattle as well to find a tire that's decent in snow and ice but primarily needs to be able to deal with lower temperatures and a lot of wet roads. I've had good luck with Hankook Winter i-cept Evos. Siping for the snow, soft rubber and big water channels, but they are a big sacrifice in grip on dry roads. I don't know about the Evo2 though.

I'm looking at teh Nokian on their web site, that definitely looks like a snow oriented tire.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Hey guys, I've participated Road America's Winter Autocross event this past Saturday and it was super fun.

After the Autocross event, RA allowed participants to drive around snow filled Road America race track.

This along with 640mile Road trip that I took leading up to Road America event allowed me to see that Evora is surprisingly good at tackling snow.
Pretty wild...looks like great fun! RA is a wonderful venue.

Your POV track video driving up the hill and under the pedestrian bridge reminded me, I attended the historic CanAm races there last year. UOP Shadows from the 1970's were the featured marque. There were 13 of them including the CanAm's, F5000's, and even an F1 - all shiny and pristine, like they were built yesterday. It's quite evident they are pampered with lots of professional attention and $$.

But not so pampered on the track. At one point two of the Shadow CanAm's were dicing for the lead, neck and neck at full tilt blasting up the hill under the ped bridge. As one tried to pass the other he caught some turbulent air from the other Shadow, went airborne, flipped and landed upside down. Thankfully the driver walked away relatively unscathed.

The owner was surprisingly calm about it and said they would rebuild the car. He also said his driver broke the cardinal rule with old CanAm cars - never follow too close. I guess their aerodynamics were not the best.

Anyway congrats on your results...and not flying off the track at Road America! 😃👍

·
Registered
458 Posts
Stay very near your phone and leave it on overnight.....Mr. Penske only calls once. But Congrats on the win - it's not easy is it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks like so much fun. I need to find a place for winter auto-x!
I drove 5 hours to do it (one way so total 10 hrs), so I won't be able to do it again until next year but yeah... its SO FUN!

Stay very near your phone and leave it on overnight.....Mr. Penske only calls once. But Congrats on the win - it's not easy is it?
Hahaha, thanks for this comment, I laughed so hard! Well, I was doing so bad in the morning that I wasn't expecting to win until I saw the result!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pretty wild...looks like great fun! RA is a wonderful venue.

Your POV track video driving up the hill and under the pedestrian bridge reminded me, I attended the historic CanAm races there last year. UOP Shadows from the 1970's were the featured marque. There were 13 of them including the CanAm's, F5000's, and even an F1 - all shiny and pristine, like they were built yesterday. It's quite evident they are pampered with lots of professional attention and $$.
View attachment 1277737
But not so pampered on the track. At one point two of the Shadow CanAm's were dicing for the lead, neck and neck at full tilt blasting up the hill under the ped bridge. As one tried to pass the other he caught some turbulent air from the other Shadow, went airborne, flipped and landed upside down. Thankfully the driver walked away relatively unscathed.

The owner was surprisingly calm about it and said they would rebuild the car. He also said his driver broke the cardinal rule with old CanAm cars - never follow too close. I guess their aerodynamics were not the best.

Anyway congrats on your results...and not flying off the track at Road America! 😃👍

Oh wow, it was my first time at RA and I could see that they do a lot of historic races but it must have been amazing to see all the CanAms race!

I wish I lived bit closer to RA...!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Oh wow, it was my first time at RA and I could see that they do a lot of historic races but it must have been amazing to see all the CanAms race!

I wish I lived bit closer to RA...!
Me too, it's a beautiful course. I had to fly out for the race, but it was 100% worth the trouble!

Reactions: SuHong Kim

·
Registered
103 Posts
@71type65 I was at Road America for the historic races last year also. I've been going for a few years now, and it is a truly exciting weekend. I did miss the parade from the track into downtown Elkhart Lake, those cars are such a raucous. Also, you mentioned the Shadow Can Am incident, that was horrific. The driver walking away was a relief for all of us.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Yep. There was a very nice Lotus representation as well. 🥰

@SuHong Kim hope we are not getting too far 'off track' in your thread...🙂

Reactions: Entropy240

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
103 Posts
2019 was an exceedingly fun year at RA for this event as Lotus brought their factory vintage F1 cars. They weren't there just for show, they raced. It was so incredibly thrilling to watch, listen, smell, and almost feel them go by while observing from thunder alley. Even my wife was in absolute shock at the level of energy these kind of events stir within your soul. I have converted her into a car gal. Actually I had nothing to do with it, exposing her to the right cars in the proper environment works magic.

Lotus won it's class that year but unfortunately as the driver was driving up to the podium area one of the track employees directed him away. The driver was trying to reason with the guy, and even others were trying to tell the track employee that the Lotus driver won, but he stubbornly wouldn't listen. It ruined the podium celebration.

I will try and see if I can locate some of my photos from that year, specifically the Lotus F1 cars.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Only issue is that I'm getting jealous for missing the event!

I have to make a note to myself to make sure I go to the next historical event!

(Also, please do share more photos and stories about RA!)
Well, since you asked...😃

There were also a couple of the earlier generation V10 ex-F1 cars at the 2020 event, and a GP2. Those, for me, were the standout sound champions of the event, not to mention exceedingly fast. There's nothing like a howling wide open 20k RPM engine. Sadly that's gone from F1, at least for now.

Quite an experience to watch from the ped bridge as they screamed up the hill. They are historic machines and the drivers were limiting to about 15k RPM but it was still awesome. 🥰

Wish I could figure out how to attach video with sound bites. But if you like fine classical F1 V10 music there are some nice videos linked here:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Many years ago I was privileged to also attend a winter x there! It was blisteringly cold but there was no snow so we got paced by a corvette. Good times!

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
September 2019, RA was the site of the 50th anniversary of Formula Ford. Over 180 Formula Fords convened to celebrate the event in 3 run groups. It was nuts. The test day was full rain, first practices daily on a wet track. Yours truly is in #81 holding everyone up.....

The first Formula Fords were Lotus 51s built and supplied to the Jim Russel Racing School at Brands Hatch in England. It was intended purely as a "School car" with a stock production engine and production car based running gear. People found the cars were fun and inexpensive to race instead of faster cars with expensive built race engines. Things took off from there, including exporting them to the US with trial racing starting in 1968 and the first recognized "National" race held in Feb 1969 at Willow Springs, CA. Formula Ford was once the bottom rung on the ladder to IndyCar and Formula 1.

We're still at it. The feel of these cars are just like an Elise, right down to the rattles and odd noises. Same tactile steering as an Elise but better brakes since the cars are 1100# including driver.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts