The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,
Wanted to get some input on driving shoes. I wore pyrotects high top driving shoes with my Seven. How does the sole on a real driving shoe(simpson, momo, sparco) compare with the sole on street driving shoes such as puma, piloti?

Thicker, thinner, other differences?

Not sure what to get right now, the high top shoes do tend to loook a bit boy racerish but I found them quite comfortable and I've no experience with the street driving shoes.

CHris

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
My Pilotis are thicker than racing-only shoes. I like using old indoor soccer shoes for racing. Many people swear by wrestling shoes. Of course no nomex in those...so if you wrap it up in a fireball.... stick your feet out.

P.S. I wore those Pilotis everyday at the LA Auto Show. My feet felt fine.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The soles on my Simpson race shoes are a little thinner than Simpson's crew shoe. I've noticed that the material (compound?) on the race shoe is much softer, however, so I actually have excellent pedal feel. Unfortunately it also means that you'll feel some pebbles and sharp rocks under your feet too! I use these shoes almost exclusively for open-track events and autocrosses and wouldn't consider using them for "daily wear", though I know some people who do.

Bob K.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i wear Puma H-Street shoes for most track days and cruising and also have a pair of Simpsons and Pilotis. The Pilotis are very thick and bulky but are by far the best to walk around in. The Pumas are actually thinner than the Simpsons and are my favorite of the bunch.

-Steve

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
HI Mike,
I tried to order from them last night but the size/color I needed was out of stock. :(
Chris
I just realized that my size is out of stock too :(

Oh well, I guess I'll be paying $100 for a pair instead :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
_JD_ said:
How about a reference point for the size of Piloti's- How do the sizes run compared to Adidas or Airwalks? Do they run big or smaller? TIA
I think athletic shoes tend to run a little bit larger than normal. I'm between a 9 and 10 (usually wear a 10 if it's a X-trainer), but the 9's fit me well in the Piloti's. The 10s were way too big.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
I just realized that my size is out of stock too :(

Oh well, I guess I'll be paying $100 for a pair instead :rolleyes:
If anyone wants to do a group buy, let me know. A friend of mine reps Pilotis.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Randy Chase said:
If anyone wants to do a group buy, let me know. A friend of mine reps Pilotis.
On the board or pm? At any rate, I'd be in for a group buy- dems Monaco's look nice.

ed- btw, I put 2 different shoes in 3 sizes into the site and they're out of them all.- 'ol bait and switch I 'recon.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
And those prices are nuts.

We could do a group buy here. Just figure out what you want and sizes. I will ask him what kinda of pricing we can get.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
FWIW, I was pretty disappointed in how thick the soles were on the Piloti's (Monacos here). I really would consider them a hybrid shoe, that you can wear for more than just driving without looking like too much of a goofball :cool: .

But, I've decided that I'm going to buy some Puma SpeedCats when the Elise comes, and look like a goofball. :cool:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
and guys...if you're having trouble deciding on a Valentine's Day gift for your honey, you can always get her these!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HI Aty,
Thanks for the tip on the speedcats, I went over to a site and looked at them, they were standard not hightop.

Look like a great shoe, think these will be the ones I order. I had no idea that Puma was partnered with SPARCO.

Chris

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,105 Posts
I like my Pilotis. Very comfortable. I use them for track events as well - but I don't race competitively. They work well for my needs.

The Pumas are pretty dope, though...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have Pilotis and wear them all day at autocrosses and track days, they are very confortable both to walk in and drive in. Given how small the foot box is in the 7 I really need them as they are narrow.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use Stand 21 high top racing shoes and I have been very happy with them. And I have to say, they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Racer's Wholesale had a sale on them quite a few years ago and I got them for 99 bucks... That's the cheapest I've ever seen Stand 21 stuff!

I do miss the older style racing shoes with a flat, thin leather sole. They don't make them like that anymore and I seemed to have better feel for threshold braking with those.

All true racing type shoes have a very thin sole for good pedal feel. The old leather type I mentioned were excellent for driving but you wanted to take them off as soon as you stepped out of the car because they wear out very easily for normal walking. The new type racing shoes are more resilient to wear. But still not like a normal shoe. I wouldn't mind trying out a set of Piloti's.

Jose Soriano

1 - 20 of 37 Posts