The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a friend who doesn't have license plates on his Lotus. If he was driving around and got pulled over by cops what would be the penalty? Additionally, there is no registration papers and just has the dealer logo of where it was bought. Car is fully insured though and I have a clean license if they ran my drivers license.

He claims that he has been pulled over in the past without any trouble since cops are more interested in if the vehicle was stolen or just because the car is cool but again, I'm in California where the cops are notorious.

I am taking the responsibility of getting the lotus a tune up, oil change, new tires, lugs, etc and don't want any heat from mr. police officer.

I got a clean driving record and just dont want it to affect mine for helping out a friend. Damn...I must be a good friend if I'm paying for new tires, detailing the car, paying the insurance for a month, etc :coolnana: Any advice?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think a lot of people here drive around with no license plate and just the dealer paper plate so they dont' have to deal with front license plate tickets.. no problem.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
depends where you are, how long its been like that and who pulls you over.

its a fix it usually, so what $20 ?

i let my tags expire on my truck, $20 to fix in cali, $978 and $10 per day in nevada!

luckily it was a cali ticket and when i got pulled over in nevada the next day, they let me off with it since i had a ticket already.

i have plates, they're just not license plates ;)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Taking it to the shop? I would say I am taking it to the shop is a cop were to ask. You may still get a ticket (about $50 here) but if you take the time to go to court with a photo of your car WITH the front tag, you can most likely get the ticket thrown out.

I have magnets in the front of my clam that grab my plate with 50 pounds of pressure. I put more magnets in the front so the magnets grip to eachother. Works great! I still never or rarely ever use the front plate though.

DC

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i don't think my friend ever did get real DMV plates so he would be screwed....he'd get the fix-it ticket which would make him get real plates, etc

I'm wondering how the insurance company managed to register the car under their policy.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I'm fairly sure in cali you need insurance to go off the lot, or to get financing, so you can get insurance with no plates, like me for instance.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If your friend bought the car from a dealer in CA, then they should have placed an RS (report of sale) on the front windshield...usually bottom passenger side. This is done to all cars sold in CA whether new or used and this would be considered a temporary registration until the DMV process the paperwork and this can take months which is why an RS has no experiation date.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I'm not sure the hassle is really worth it. I did this for a few months because I lost my temp-tag. I had been pulled over twice for no plates, both times they tried to look up registration information from the state I purchased it from. As it had never been registered they got no information and let me go since all my other paperwork (driver's license and insurance) were in order.

I think worst case scenario I would've ended up with a $75 ticket.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Here's wut happened to 50 Cent when he was driving his chrome Lambo with no plates/registration:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZzLNqy7598M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZzLNqy7598M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I think a lot of people here drive around with no license plate and just the dealer paper plate so they dont' have to deal with front license plate tickets.. no problem.
+1 at least in the bay area

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Here's wut happened to 50 Cent when he was driving his chrome Lambo with no plates/registration:
Nothing like having raving lunatics as fans...

'round here they will tow your car to impound and leave you to hoof it home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As someone who's driven around in a Modified Evo for almost 3 years without plates, I can tell you what happens. Mind you, I believe there was a recent change to the laws that say if you try to hide your plates, it's a big penalty...

Anyways, the worst that has happened to me is I got a fix it ticket from the Sherriff... $25... I've also gotten a fix it from CHP, which is just a sign off, no fee. Most of the time, I just get a warning...

As for an excuse, you Lotus owners should know this one... i just took it to the track and I forgot to put my plates back on... Works everytime ;)

·
Registered
566 Posts
As someone who's driven around in a Modified Evo for almost 3 years without plates, I can tell you what happens. Mind you, I believe there was a recent change to the laws that say if you try to hide your plates, it's a big penalty...

Anyways, the worst that has happened to me is I got a fix it ticket from the Sherriff... $25... I've also gotten a fix it from CHP, which is just a sign off, no fee. Most of the time, I just get a warning...

As for an excuse, you Lotus owners should know this one... i just took it to the track and I forgot to put my plates back on... Works everytime ;)
You probably get pulled over for having an obnoxiously sounding car too huh?

·
Registered
3 Posts
BTW, here's the V.C. for CA
V.C. Section 5201.1 - Obscuring Readability of License Plates: Prohibition

Obscuring Readability of License Plates: Prohibition
5201.1. (a) A person shall not sell a product or device that obscures, or is intended to obscure, the reading or recognition of a license plate, as prohibited by subdivision (g) of Section 5201.

(b) A conviction for a violation of subdivision (a) is punishable by a fine of two hundred fifty dollars ($250) per item sold.

Added Sec. 2, Ch. 273, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008.

So, I don't know... Is purposely hiding your plates considered obscuring it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts