The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was driving for the first time with the top off from I80E to 680S near Fairfield, CA where winds were probably 20+ mph. Going about 70 mph on the freeway, I just felt like the car was being pushed around too much on the freeway and just did not feel stable.

I have not noticed this with the hardtop or softtop in similar conditions. Is this normal with the top off? Or is this something to just get use to?

Thanks,
Oliver

·
Registered
398 Posts
Oliver,

I drive that stretch with the top off all the time.
Put your windows up.
Slow down.
Problem solved. :up:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
your not going fast enough :p...:shift:(we have this for a reason):shift:

·
Registered
744 Posts
You're driving too slow.. but the only problem I have with the top off is the top of my head gets numb and I got sunburned.. not fun.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I've never really heard of cars becoming less-stable when a targra/convertible roof is off.
I imagine that if you're traveling at speed, there should be a stream of air traveling over the cabin, with not much chance of wind penetrating with enough force inside to affect driving.

Might have just been the perception since it's windier (from driving) and noisier with the top off.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
With the windows down 60mph starts getting hard to handle, I loved the car topless with windows down sub 60mph, it was a joy. With the windows up, 90-100 is OK. The wind blows over the top and around you. Sure it gets loud, but at 70 you should feel pretty comfy with no issues.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I've never really heard of cars becoming less-stable when a targra/convertible roof is off.
I have felt what I believe the OP is describing with the top off. However, I have felt it worse when driving a '60s VW Bug, especially when being passed in either direction by a semi... "oops, I just changed lanes..."

I imagine that if you're traveling at speed, there should be a stream of air traveling over the cabin, with not much chance of wind penetrating with enough force inside to affect driving.
Perhaps not but this certainly can happen:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/rip-my-back-window-23355/

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/need-replace-my-back-window-63294/

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/rear-window-broken-25257/

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...windows up and topless, mehve actually feels more stable above eighty - i haven't taken her beyond one-thirty topless, but no problems at all other than cabin noise and buffeting toward the top end...

...rolling up the windows and wearing earplugs together make a profound difference in pilot comfort at high speed...i usually wear a driving cap if i'm running hard topless, too, just to keep my hair out of my face...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
alignment setup?
it can make a car 'twitchy'

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think what I sense is more my head being pushed around than the car itself. Especially wearing a hat. Stupid I know but that's what happens. Makes it hard to see at times as everything is shaking.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Some of us don't have that problem :(.
I USED to have that problem in the 70's ( when my hair was down to the middle of my back ) :crazyeyes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts