The Lotus Cars Community banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
2011 DRLs and White LED Strip

Just an update for the 2011 with LEDs in the headlight assembly ... the DRL green wire mod works fine. The wire and connector are located in the same place as older models.

When I saw fuse C8 (under the scuttle beam in the passenger foot well) designated for "DRL," I wondered if I could simply remove this fuse and eliminate the DRLs. But actually C8 protects a circuit energized by (ignition) switched power that illuminates the white LED strip along the edge of the headlight assembly and the amber/red parking lights.

With the green DRL wire mod implemented and no lights turned on, the white LEDs run very bright. With the parking lights or parking lights + headlights on, the white LEDs are illuminated at a lower intensity. This mimics what I've seen in some other cars - like newer Audis for instance. Perhaps the white LEDs serve as DRLs or city lights in some locations.

Here's a picture of the white LED strip along the outer edge of 2011 headlight assembly (with parking lights on):

Glen

·
Registered
905 Posts
My HIDs came in so I did this mod. I probably should have dont it another way rather than using the steps in post 1. I'm thinking the speaker or start button plate way would be easier. I actually started to do the start button method and could reach in there and feal the wire but I didnt want to mess around with taping with one hand. Plust with the method in the first way I zip tied the other end of the wire to the harness so it cleans it up a bit. Now to put in my HIDs tomorrow after work!!! Thanks OP and bump for this thread

·
Registered
668 Posts
wow... i would love some led in my head lights.... i like the angel eyes, but can't help but think, that it belongs to a bmw... i don't know, i hope i can change the way i think... until then.... does anyone have installed LED DRL similar to audi, mercedes .... ? can you post some pictures, and where you got your kit. i know they have 1 million of them on the net... but most look really bad and cheap.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I have an early 05, October 2004 build and I can't find the single green wire! I took the speaker out and even the starter panel off. Has anyone else done this mod with an early 2005?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Why would you need to? You should not have drls anyway. ??

I didn't like the DRLs on my newly acquired 2006 but never thought I'd be able to turn them off. I will tonight!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I did the green wire fix last night, got a lot scratched up trying to tape the ends but it was successful, nice easy mod. Tonight I want to do the antenna mod. I've decided every night I should do one little thing until I run outta stuff to fix. :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Going in through the speaker hole

Thanks for the tip, whoever posted it way back when. I finally got around to disconnecting the green wire last night. Lacking a 90 degree screwdriver, I tried to go in through the switch panel on the left. The green wire was so far back I couldn't get enough grip with my hand to disconnect it, much less tape it up afterward. Off to Home Depot, got a nice Husky offset screwdriver (Husky 1/2 in. Offset Screwdriver-74353 - The Home Depot), removed the speaker, and went in. Even then the wire was difficult to access, but I got it done. Now I just have to figure out why my right low beam keeps burning out, but in the meantime, I'm not driving around looking like a pirate.

I was amazing, btw, how much cr*p was behind that switch panel. Dried leaves, dirt, etc.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Just an update for the 2011 with LEDs in the headlight assembly ... the DRL green wire mod works fine. The wire and connector are located in the same place as older models.

When I saw fuse C8 (under the scuttle beam in the passenger foot well) designated for "DRL," I wondered if I could simply remove this fuse and eliminate the DRLs. But actually C8 protects a circuit energized by (ignition) switched power that illuminates the white LED strip along the edge of the headlight assembly and the amber/red parking lights.

With the green DRL wire mod implemented and no lights turned on, the white LEDs run very bright. With the parking lights or parking lights + headlights on, the white LEDs are illuminated at a lower intensity. This mimics what I've seen in some other cars - like newer Audis for instance. Perhaps the white LEDs serve as DRLs or city lights in some locations.

Here's a picture of the white LED strip along the outer edge of 2011 headlight assembly (with parking lights on):

Glen
Just to bring this back from the dead, does that mean if I remove fuse C8, I could turn off the headlight LEDs completely? A couple of the LEDs on the right hand side are burned out, and rather than fix it, I wouldn't mind if I could just turn off the silly LED strip completely.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just did this on my 2011 per Glen's explanation.

To be clear, the 2011 US Elise is configured to use the main headlights as drls- they come on automatically and can not be turned off.

If you disconnect the green wire, the car still has drl function, but uses only the white LED strips on the side of the headlight housings.

I made a quick video showing how to access the wire by removing the switch panel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Elise 111 1999

Hi volks, I have Elise 1999 I repair it and any parts was missing. Now I have speedometer from Opel Speedster and tachymeter is not working. Some Lotus instruments has one conector and some two conectors. I have 2 connectors on the instrument rear panel but one connector on the wiring in the car. Thank you for help. Petr.
Czech republic

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Hi volks, I have Elise 1999 I repair it and any parts was missing. Now I have speedometer from Opel Speedster and tachymeter is not working. Some Lotus instruments has one conector and some two conectors. I have 2 connectors on the instrument rear panel but one connector on the wiring in the car. Thank you for help. Petr.
Czech republic
You probably want to make a new thread about this. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
just did this, thx for all the great info.

i accessed via the starter button panel. strangely tho, not only did disconnecting the green wire disable the DRL, it disabled the headlights entirely. now when i push the button, nothing comes on at all (dash does light up tho). i hooked it back up so it's back to normal, but i'd love to get rid of the DRL. any ideas?

thx :)

btw it's an '06 elise
Sorry for bringing this old thread back to life.
But I am experiencing the same situation as specialk.
Unplugging the green wire disables the second button on the start button panel.
So I could not turn on my headlights at night.
I ended up putting a switch in there to allow me to be able to drive at night.
Does anyone have a better solution or idea?

BTW, my car is a 2007 Canadian Exige.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts