1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I am about to do the green wire mod/ daytime running light disable feature listed here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/drl-green-wire-mod-24344/index2.html

Are there any known differences since the 2008's have a different speedo and possibly different wiring arrangement? :shrug:

Thanks!
DRL is controlled by the Switch Pack Module, which I don't think has been changed for 2008...

Here's an '08 schematic... the red arrow points to the bullet connector in the "green wire" that you disconnect to disable DRL

Attachments

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Please explain to me the logic in reducing the visibility to other drivers of the already hard to see Elise??????

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Please explain to me the logic in reducing the visibility to other drivers of the already hard to see Elise??????
I used to ask this question, too. Then, for obvious safety reasons, I installed HIDs. Not wanting to burn those out so quickly from the extra cycling on and off, I did the DRL mod.

Pick your battles, I guess.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Please, turn your lights off.

Lights on during the day do not help you see better, they just reduce how well oncoming traffic can see.

Yes, in cases, of rain, lowlight, or fog, having DRL can help oncoming traffic see you. In all other cases they just make driving less safe. Sure it's not a substantially change, but it' a change in the wrong direction.

Want to be seen better without negatively impacting oncoming traffic? Turn your running lights on, but keep the headlights and DRL off.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Let me understand this, having your lights on, makes it less safe and reduces how oncoming traffic sees you, am I correct?
Please, turn your lights off.

Lights on during the day do not help you see better, they just reduce how well oncoming traffic can see.

Yes, in cases, of rain, lowlight, or fog, having DRL can help oncoming traffic see you. In all other cases they just make driving less safe. Sure it's not a substantially change, but it' a change in the wrong direction.

Want to be seen better without negatively impacting oncoming traffic? Turn your running lights on, but keep the headlights and DRL off.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Let me understand this, having your lights on, makes it less safe and reduces how oncoming traffic sees you, am I correct?
Yes, shining a light in a drivers eyes impairs their vision. It makes you more visible, but you'd be just as safe with running lights on without bothering other drivers.

I'll grant you that I am more photosensative than most and therfore more aware of the issue, but can you honestly say that you are not effected by oncoming lights?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The lights are on while you drive to make you more noticable, please explain the problem with this?
...try driving up to an observatory with your bloody headlights on, then get back to me after you've been crucified...

...if you want your headlights on during the day, by all means there's a switch there allowing you to do so, but it's moronic forcing them on all the time for everyone in all situations...there's far too much light pollution already and it's foolish adding to it senselessly...
...absolutely, direct light kills night vision...

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
The most important reason:

When the photographer at the track is taking pictures of your car, the DRLs will cause little starbursts on the image. I can now decide NOT to mess up my track day photos if I choose to do so. Lotus shipped me a car that didn't give me that option until I modded it a bit.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
My understanding was that safety was paramount, please explain further
I agree. I think the irony of my apparently too subtle humor was missed. We have one group who wants to disable lights and another groujp who wants to shine super-bright high-beam driving lights in your eyes all the time. The humor was the concept that the two of them keep the world in balance.

Although I didn't state it, I do not believe that the DRLs are much of a safety device in the US. The initial studies that lead to them were conducted in Canada and one of the northern European countries. In both cases, during parts of the year, those countries have very extended twilight periods and mostly two-lane roads. It was, specifically, during these periods where people could see fairly well, but could not necessarily be seen very well without lights, that the DRL were designed to help prevent accidents. In most cases in the US with very short periods of twilight and most miles are spent on multi-lane divided roads, they (IMHO) may very marginally offer any improvement in safety.

Hell, here in CA, even with DRLs, the law requires that you have your headlights on whenever your windshield wipers are operating. You are also required to have your headlights on from sunset to sunrise which sounds like a no-brainer, but it is very light out at sunset. As a result there is hardly any time, anywhere in CA that DRLs provide any benefit. But, I do not go to the trouble to disable mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts