The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations on what speakers to replace my existing stock Blaupunkt speakers (front and back) if I am going to keep the original head unit?

I am looking for a modest upgrade without spending a lot of money.

Thanks!:cool:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Most people go with focals.
Thank you for the quick response.

Do you know off hand what the sizes are that I need? Is is a pair of 4" and a pair of 5.5"?

Also, are there specific Focals (model numbers) that are well suited/shaped for the Elise?

Thanks,
Erik

·
Registered
436 Posts
You can upgrade to 5.25" with Jim Clayton's spacers... there has been much discussion on the sound difference between the 4" Focals and the 5.25" JL Audio C2's.

The 4" Focals are a great speaker to maintain the stock look... but, IMO, a 4" will never produce the sound of a 5.25" The physics of the speaker limits the sound quality.

Of course, for the best sound... you should add an external amp. An external amp has more electronics to produce hifi.

There's is alot of info posted on the topic.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Im running JL equipment, including a small 6" sub, their mini 300w amp (its VERY small. Runs about $400, worth every penny) and im very happy with the sound quality. Even during spirited driving with the top off I can turn up my stereo and hear my music loud and clear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd consider swapping the head unit.

I never liked the Blaupunkt's display or ergonomics. I replaced mine with a Becker Mexico Traffic pro. It is a drop in swap, looks better and the sound is bit better w/ the stock speakers, which I will be replacing at some point w/ 'drop in' Focals. AM reception is also much better than with the Blaupunkt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts