The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I spoke to a dealer this weekend and got to talking about the list. He was very candid with me, showing me his list, orders, and deliveries. He had half a dozen cars delivered to customers, and as many dropoffs. He wasn't offering the dropoff cars to the general public, but to customers down the line. Admirable! He also makes deposits refundable, even after placing the order! Even MORE admirable!

Anyhow, he showed me how many of the people "down the line" had refused new cars with similar specifications, instead saying they'd wait to get their own cars. I think he was at about #15 on his list, with about a 50% dropoff rate.

FIFTY PERCENT !!!

In his TOP FIFTEEN wait-listers !!!

These are the die-hard enthusiasts. The people who signed up over a year ago to ge the car. More than half of them had dropped off for various reasons. Car's too small. Not luxurious enough. Blah, blah, blah. You name it. (Sounds a little like me, righ!? LOL)

Anyhow, there ya have it. Personally, I think that 2/3 of the current wait list will fall off before all's said and done. I think you'll get a lot more people waiting on the car once they see it on the road, but they'll have an even higher drop-off rate, since their only interest in the Elise is skin-deep. I don't think there will be 4500 customers for this car in a 2 year period, though. Just do the math!

What do you guys think?!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
If the cars were offered to listers further down, then I would think that's a great situation. If not, then it means nothing to anyone other than late comers with wads burning holes in their pockets.

My dealer has had no dropoffs (only 8 delivered so far though).

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I'm thinking that a lot of people may have been speculators who thought they could turn a quick profit. Also a lot of people wanted the car in April and now it is November and some dealers are just starting to get cars in. Kind of sucks if it is 40 degrees where you live.

Also some people got tired of the wait and said forget it. Steve, you didnt mention the dealer that you talked to, but if it was Prestige, maybe people got scared off by them asking 10K or whatever over list and tehy got stuck with a bunch of cars. One of my co-workers has a deposit there and they had someone not take a car and they asked her if she wanted it instead of having to wait. She said she would wait for the color she wants, so maybe some dealerships ordered cars for themselves and now realize that they cant ask too much over msrp and are doing the right thing instead and offerring them first to people who were further down on the on the list. The dealers are paying interest on unsold cars sitting on the lot, so their is more of an incentive to get them off the lot right away and sell them to people before they change their minds.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I THINK that even though there's a 50% drop off, a good chunk will be replenished by people who see the Elise on the street. More people would buy one if they could just walk into the show room and get one - but they'll probably trade it in with a few months.

And, all Lotus needs to do is hold out for two years (MY2005 and MY2006) and then well have a bigger, more comfortable Elise. :p

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xxxotic said:
I'm thinking that a lot of people may have been speculators
Another thing I forgot to mention. This particular dealer has specified in their contract that purchase for speculative resale is forbidden. Not sure of the details, but safe to say they don't have any speculators on their list.

Steve, you didnt mention the dealer that you talked to
I'd rather not say out of courtesy to them for having been so candid with me. I will say that they are a very classy operation, and the salesman I spoke to was very friendly and forthcoming. He treated me with respect even though I was unshaven and dressed in jeans and a t-shirt.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
My dealer has only had one 'drop off' in the form of refused delivery. 1 out of 10 delievered with 4 more delieveries in the pipe.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Steve,
This is the opposite of the case as LOA, they've only had a few drop offs since delivery began. I was told for everyone dropoff they added roughly six to the list. I think LOA has only had one or possibly two refuse delivery of the car. They must have delivered close to twenty cars now considering the nine they had waiting for pickup this week.

I think a third or even 50% is a good possibility just judging from all the people with multiple deposits. So this would equate to over 1500 deposits just from when the cars first started being delivered, at that time I was told well over 3000 deposits in place then. In this still translates out to roughly a years production. I also think a lot of the buyer out there don't even know much about this car yet and may not have seen one in the future.
Chris

·
Registered
95 Posts
Steve, I agree with your thoughts on the Elise. I don't know that a 50% drop-off rate is the right number, but I would not be suprised if it were double digits. It's be said on this board many times by current owners that: "it is a niche car". With the new model year Corvette, Porsche 997 and Boxster available, there are more viable options on the market for the potential buyer.

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that the dealership I spoke to is definitely on the high-end for drop-offs. I know for a fact that other dealerships have lower drop-off figures. Then again, they may not be as forgiving with their clients or enforce the no-speculation policy so strictly. One dealer, for example, has 2 of their customer cars sitting right in front of their dealership for sale on consignment!

I count speculation sales and short-term ownerships as "drop-offs" for the fact that they're not staying in wait-listed customers' hands, but are going to people in the pool of Lotus' new customers. The figure that really matters to me is how many wait-listed people will own their Elises in 6 months, or at the end of the 2 years of production.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
From what I can gather, no one's dropping off the three lists in Northern California. Maybe it's due to the fact that the area is just plain silly with mountain roads? That a small-car/sports-car culture has thrived here for years? Maybe Miami just doesn't have a car culture that actually wants the Elise. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
maybe they've dropped off to get on a list somewhere with a better allocation.

6 cars delivered is pretty low

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
From what I can gather, no one's dropping off the three lists in Northern California. Maybe it's due to the fact that the area is just plain silly with mountain roads? That a small-car/sports-car culture has thrived here for years? Maybe Miami just doesn't have a car culture that actually wants the Elise. :shrug:
Didn't perryeyges drop off of a NorCal list when he decided to buy the HRM car? I suspect there were others, as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts