The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped off my 2013 NA IPS (2,400 miles so far) for service on Friday, after coming back from skydiving with my son, for the following items:

Trunk Release button inside the car stopped working but trunk release on remote works fine

Cruise Control button was sticking but it worked however it was difficult to start due to the sticking (hardly ever use it anyway but still worth getting fixed)

iPhone cord in glove box was not staying connected to iPhone (bad cord) - shame it doesn't work on bluetooth - pioneer head unit is the pits

Speakers made a loud scratchy noise then radio went dead. Assuming a frayed or loose wire because the radio has since come back on. (hopefully they won't reconnect the navigation override when they fix this)

Car holds first gear too long when it's cold, revving the engine, almost as if it was stuck in neutral. Hopefully just an ECU update.

Love the dealership (Secor Lotus of New London) so not expecting any issues. Hopefully I'll have her back in a couple of days and will post the outcome here once I do.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
That sucks. I've got 1200 km on my car and I daily drive it now. I just can't rack up mileage no matter how hard I try because I live 4 km away from work. My big fear is that the warranty will expire when the car has 3000 km on it and I'll be left with a plethora of electrical and switch-based stuff to repair every month. Does anyone know if these things have to be fixed at a Lotus dealer, or can any high quality garage that deals with higher end cars handle it?

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Trunk Release button inside the car stopped working but trunk release on remote works fine.
At least you HAVE a trunk release button. My 2011 it's just the remote or go pull the manual release. ;-)

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
That sucks. I've got 1200 km on my car and I daily drive it now. I just can't rack up mileage no matter how hard I try because I live 4 km away from work. My big fear is that the warranty will expire when the car has 3000 km on it and I'll be left with a plethora of electrical and switch-based stuff to repair every month. Does anyone know if these things have to be fixed at a Lotus dealer, or can any high quality garage that deals with higher end cars handle it?
Seriously, this is a very SIMPLE car. Once it goes out of warranty most competent mechanics can work on it. Get a hold of a service manual when warranty runs out, leave it in trunk, and find a reliable European car mechanic that your friends or fellow forum members recommend. I bought my Lotus knowing that I should have very little trouble getting reliable service post-warranty. Parts you can buy local or order discounted online.

Best thing is that what matters (engine, mechanics, etc.) are proving to be very reliable. It's just all those extra 'bits' that they added on that need some gentle loving.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Seriously, this is a very SIMPLE car. Once it goes out of warranty most competent mechanics can work on it. Get a hold of a service manual when warranty runs out, leave it in trunk, and find a reliable European car mechanic that your friends or fellow forum members recommend. I bought my Lotus knowing that I should have very little trouble getting reliable service post-warranty. Parts you can buy local or order discounted online.

Best thing is that what matters (engine, mechanics, etc.) are proving to be very reliable. It's just all those extra 'bits' that they added on that need some gentle loving.
Oh, you guys are going to kill the resale value of this great and unique car!:eek:
Sure, any trained monkey can do an alignment job. It just won't ever perform again the way a Lotus should. Consider this car an investment and treat is accordingly!:thwack:

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's not an investment, it's a car. And it is not complicated or really any different from any other car. Speaking of alignments, I had a hard time finding anyone who would do it. Porsche dealer declined, so did Lexus and Mercedes. I finally found an independent shop to do it. Mechanic was so excited to not be working on a Chevy Truck that he spent an hour getting it dead center on every spec (and they're very small tolerances to begin with.)

Cost me 1/3 of what it would have at a high end dealer. Lasers are just as straight though. Don't kid yourselves if you think there's anything in these cars that's revolutionary or groundbreaking. ANY competent mechanic can work on them with the service manual as a guide.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Oh, you guys are going to kill the resale value of this great and unique car!:eek:
Sure, any trained monkey can do an alignment job. It just won't ever perform again the way a Lotus should. Consider this car an investment and treat is accordingly!:thwack:
My local Lotus dealer does an alignment by sending my Elise to a Master Mechanic shop down the street. The results have been perfect.

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
It just won't ever perform again the way a Lotus should.
You think the dealer is incapable of hiring someone incompetent? I had many problems taking my car to the dealer. You think the car will turn better because you threw more money at it? It doesn't mean a thing.

As for all that nonsense about the resale value and treating it as an investment... your priorities are wrong!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
If you still have remaining factory warranty, call up your local dealer and acquire extended warranty from them. Assuming they carry JM&A/Fidelity, make sure to go with the platinum coverage.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Has anyone tested the extended warranty yet? I'm on my last month of the factory warranty and am having the last items on my punch list being resolved. Overall, working on the car doesn't concern me too much but if I can get issues taken care of via extended warranty I'd be happy with that also.

·
Premium Member
6,978 Posts
Funny how easy it is to improve on the Lotus alignment seen as all the components are in such wonderful positions to begin with.:clap:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just picked it up today, had the following done:

Warranty:
-Oil cooler hose recall (NHTSA #13V-314, TC 2013-253)
-Rear passenger seat bench lifting from base
-Trunk liner separated from Velcro and falling off
-Chrome clouding/falling off around brake light accents -replace with black brake light accents
-Trunk release doesn't work right, 50% of the time can only open when simultaneously pushing release button and pulling up
-Clear coat on front lotus badge coming off
-"S" is lifting off slightly (bottom left side)
-E-brake release button worn down to metal just from normal usage. Would like to see about a replacement button.
-Driver side rear window gasket popped out. I pushed back in with my hands, not sure if it will come out again
-Driver side door not unlocking about 25% of the time. Hit the unlock button but the door lock indicator gets stuck about halfway up. Key won't work, have to go in through passenger side

Not sure if normal or not:
-Jerking when at full wheel lock (ie parking garages)
-Rattling sound observed at engine idle from exterior

Other:
-Oil change with synthetic oil
-Brake/clutch fluid flushed and changed to Castrol SRF
-Transmission fluid changed to Redline MT90
-Install of 3rd Cat bypass pipe
-Check tire alignment
-Driver side front tire has a slow leak
-Install of leather trim door handles and x4 black aluminum finisher trim pieces

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Not sure which oil line recall you had (based on the recall number) but if I remember right, the first oil line recall I had they drained the power steering as they had to move stuff around to do the job. I got the car back with jerking at steering lock at very slow speeds.

It turns out they didn't fully bleed the system when they refilled it. So I bled it myself and topped it back up instead of taking it all the way back to the dealer.

My guess is you have the same issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
856 Posts
Car sounds much better with the decat pipe no?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dropped off my 2013 NA IPS (2,400 miles so far) for service on Friday, after coming back from skydiving with my son, for the following items:

Trunk Release button inside the car stopped working but trunk release on remote works fine

Cruise Control button was sticking but it worked however it was difficult to start due to the sticking (hardly ever use it anyway but still worth getting fixed)

iPhone cord in glove box was not staying connected to iPhone (bad cord) - shame it doesn't work on bluetooth - pioneer head unit is the pits

Speakers made a loud scratchy noise then radio went dead. Assuming a frayed or loose wire because the radio has since come back on. (hopefully they won't reconnect the navigation override when they fix this)

Car holds first gear too long when it's cold, revving the engine, almost as if it was stuck in neutral. Hopefully just an ECU update.

Love the dealership (Secor Lotus of New London) so not expecting any issues. Hopefully I'll have her back in a couple of days and will post the outcome here once I do.
I know the thread's been jacked a little but I wanted to get back to everyone on the outcome. As usual, Secor Lotus of New London was amazing. Love these guys probably more than I should. :)

Trunk Release Button - I'm in idiot as it worked fine but then again so is Lotus for designing a trunk that can't be unlocked unless the E-Brake is activated. Who knew - not me. Being in park I guess isn't good enough for the brit's :)

Cruise Control - button replaced, all is good again for those extremely rare times that I decide to use cruise control

iPhone Cord - replaced the cord. All is well again.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL
They updated the ECU and man oh man does she ride so much smoother now with respect to gear shifting in automatic mode. Literally night and day. It was okay before but now it's GREAT.

All's Well That End's Well - Drive on!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts