The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
raggedy1 said:
heck, at the rate cars are showing up around here, #138 wouldn't arrive until the next model arrives!

ha!
Yeah, your right at the current rates. However they go into full production next month. SVAG will be getting double there current allomments. Even if the ports stay backlogged for the next 1.5 years, that adds about a 2-3 weeks delay. Add in those that drop out in the meantime, so anywere between 16-18 months would number 138 get delivered.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
LarryB said:
Yeah, your right at the current rates. However they go into full production next month. SVAG will be getting double there current allomments. Even if the ports stay backlogged for the next 1.5 years, that adds about a 2-3 weeks delay. Add in those that drop out in the meantime, so anywere between 16-18 months would number 138 get delivered.
so what is their "current allotment?"

;)

I thought lotus was at full production already? wasn't there talk of them already adding a second shift?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Geez- guess I'm getting to know way more details then I'd really like. Sept/Oct they've got 4 car per month being assemblied. Late this month there slowing/shutting down the line for a week or so then stepping up production. Last I heard it wasn't a full fledge second shift. Think is was something more like more hours or a added work day or maybe more work stations?

·
Registered
687 Posts
There really isn't a reason to pull your deposit before the dealer forces you to commit to order the car. A lot can change from now until the dealer calls you to ask for your order. Interest for that $2k is next to nothing, so you must really be in a crunch to get that $2k back and spend it now.

For others who might find themselves in a similar situation, you might as well leave the deposit there as long as possible to keep your place in line.

During the time my deposit was at the dealer and before I placed my order, I was unemployed for a few months. Had I taken my deposit back at that time, I would not have experienced the bliss I've had the last 4 weeks. People can rationalize all they want about other cars, but there is simply nothing like the Elise driving experience. There's a good reason why Car and Driver gave the Elise a 25/25 fun-to-drive rating.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey there!

If someone wants to drop off the list, let them.

Someone who really wants the car will be there to pick up the slack.

In fact, I'm counting on (and hoping for) a lot of people to drop off.

:D

-Jim

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
There is some amount of risk in leaving a deposit out there, especially for multiple years. I don't know how to quantify it, but there is uncertainty in having the cash in the hands of a dealership that doesn't expect to have a car for you this year or the next.

The dealership could go out of business. If they go bankrupt, you could lose your deposit altogether. If they don't, it could be hard to convince the 'new owner' or "previous owner, now broke" that they owe you cash.

The dealership could undergo a change-of-ethics, and the new management might not recognize your deposit under the same terms. While we know it's "refundable" here in CA, there's no law that says they have to make it quick or painless.

Paperwork gets lost. With the turnover and activity at most dealerships two years is a lifetime, and if you haven't kept in touch, it could be difficult to refresh their memory.

As soon as I have some measure of confidence that any dealership will actually deliver a car to me, I worry about all my deposits, and I have several out there. I've never made a secret about it, and in retrospect, it was certainly the right call.

Had I known years ago what I know now, I would have a deposit in every dealership west of Texas. In all seriousness.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts