The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a big problem with my C6 Z51: it was mush. The steering sucked and it felt like a fast Cadillac. Even my 2002 Z06 was superior in feel.

Yesterday I drove a C6 Z06 with Penske coilovers. Pretty much the best you can get. It also had Michelin Cup Sport tires and a fairly aggressive alignment.

osCommerce

I drove the car for a few miles. At low speeds, it still has the mush feel the C6 is famous for, but once you get up to speed, it was extremely responsive and there was very, very little body roll. This is with the stock sway bars too. I took a few 90 degree turns at moderate speeds and the car was just completely flat and composed.

The owner is a track instructor and took me on some VERY rough roads where he lives. We're talking 3rd world country rough. I could not believe how well this car handled on these roads. We're talking roads that would toss a truck around. He had decent ride height (higher than most would prefer) and just beat the crap out of this car. NOTHING would unsettle it. Taking 70MPH turns on these carriage roads that would send just about any stock suspension car into the woods. These roads would literally break a Lotus. It defied all logic of anything I've ever driven before.

On smooth roads, it was extremely composed and sure-footed and reacted very quickly to steering input.

I'm impressed. The 2-way adjustables are just over $3000 with springs.

Oh, and the C6 Z06 had lots of torque, but honestly wasn't a big enough difference over the C5 Z06 to make it a no brainer upgrade.

I'm starting to consider picking up another C5 Z06 and getting these coilovers, sway bars with solid mounts, solid steering rack bushing, racing seats, etc. instead of getting an Exige for my next car. Hmm.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've got a 2003 Z06 with a Lingenfelter 530hp package. I tracked for a total of nine sessions in 2006. It's only got 23K miles, and I'm enjoying it as a weekend car. The Exige S fills the bill for HPDE's. Let me know if your interested!

A couple of pics of the Z06 at the website in my sig.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drove another C5 Z06. I think the love is gone. They are great cars, but not for me anymore.

I think my next car will be a Cayman S. Then maybe an Eagle someday?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts