The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was up in DC yesterday for a meeting and Hertz gave me an orange mustang :eek:

Being an Elise driver in SC I am used to people staring at me all the time, but it is typically a "hey-not-really-sure-what-that-is-but-it-looks-pretty-cool" type of stare. :coolnana:

But driving this orange Mustang was a whole new sensation becuase it was more of a "hey-why-the-hell-did-you-buy-such-a-dumb-ass-car-in-such-a-bright-color" type of stare :sad:

Anyone had this feeling?

I don't think I would of minded so much if it had been in SC - typically I am the elititst foreigner, driving a weird car in the country, but the irony was that for a day I looked like the country boy driving a stupid car amongst elititsts in the city. :rolleyes:

I am trying to cleanse myself today by driving the Elise to work - pray for my soul!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Yeah, I got a Hertz "Shelby" Mustang and had the same experience.

LOUD exhaust.

No power.

"Hey-why-the-hell-did-you-buy-such-a-dumb-ass-car-in-such-a-bright-color" stares.

Not a great experience.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I guess I'm alone in thinking every car serves a purpose. Those that serve that purpose well are successes in their own right. I don't always know what that purpose is :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I took a Mustang owner out in the Seven yesterday, I cleansed him rotfl

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I'm alone in thinking every car serves a purpose. Those that serve that purpose well are successes in their own right. I don't always know what that purpose is :rolleyes:.
I actually agree with you and I wasn't really intending to make a specific critic of the Mustang*,I suppose I was more thinking about how people judge a book by its cover (or driver by their car).

*for a cheap, mass produced car, it seemed alright**

**not that I would ever consider buying one though!!

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
The Hertz mustangs are de-tuned for the masses.

Mustangs are great cars, but not these...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never go with Thrifty...all they have are PT Losers.. ...in any pastel color you might dream of... Now ur talkin' "Hey-buddy,-nice-easter-egg" types of stares..

- Allen.
Arrrgggghhhh now you just reminded me of another experience I had in Nebraska a few years ago - thanks a lot :rolleyes:

I got one of those pastel PT-Losers (think it was from Enterprise though) and drove miles across the state to this little town. I had to go to a small water treatment plant.

I pulled into this place and every other vehicle there was a large truck and guys were all standing around with big hats and big boots on. I jump out of this friuty looking thing, with a white shirt on (I think I even had cuff-links on), and with an English accent say "OK, what seems to be the problem then" -eek-

These guys just stare at me as if I just came in from Mars and one of them says "You're not from around these parts are you?"

I'm having flash backs now

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Hertz mustangs are de-tuned for the masses.

Mustangs are great cars, but not these...
Could be. I was a little suprised by the lack of "ommpphh"

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I guess Ill be the one to jump on and defend the mustang. Personally I wouldnt think anything bad of an orange mustang, as long as it was a factory color that looked good. Mustangs are also not slow by any means. A good enough driver in a GT could take you out in your Lotus if you slip up. PS... I said you, not me lol. Even the 6cyl has decent pickup. The Roush and Saleen are the tops. The Shelby is lacking the suspension for the power that it has so thats my only problem with it. They are great looking cars imo as well. We wont even talk about interiors. So whats your problems with the Mustang? I dont even think people were giving you the type of stares that you say. Especially not in the US with a US bread legendary name on a car that everyone knows. And for the record, I dont own a Mustang.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Arrrgggghhhh now you just reminded me of another experience I had in Nebraska a few years ago - thanks a lot :rolleyes:

I got one of those pastel PT-Losers (think it was from Enterprise though) and drove miles across the state to this little town. I had to go to a small water treatment plant.

I pulled into this place and every other vehicle there was a large truck and guys were all standing around with big hats and big boots on. I jump out of this friuty looking thing, with a white shirt on (I think I even had cuff-links on), and with an English accent say "OK, what seems to be the problem then" -eek-

These guys just stare at me as if I just came in from Mars and one of them says "You're not from around these parts are you?"

I'm having flash backs now
rotfl

Still love the Southpark line....."I'm not gay, I'm British!!"

Funny story!

- Allen.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I do a fair bit of traveling, and I've had all sorts of rental car experiences. I almost always rent with Hertz - I get decent rates and like being able to just get in my car and drive off. I've now made their "Five Star" status so I get perks that include automatic upgrades.

I disembark in Kansas City to find that awaiting me in space #14 is a Mazda 5. For those of you not familiar with the Mazda line, in an odd twist of math, the 5 is NOT someting between the 3 and the 6. It's a minivan.

And, lucky me, the one in spot #14 is PURPLE.

I'd requested a midsize car, so I can only guess this is someone's idea of an "upgrade". I would have fought it, but it was just too comical. On the plus side, it was easy to spot...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
THE POWER OF CHAPMAN COMPELLS YOU!!!
THE POWER OF CHAPMAN COMPELLS YOU!!!
*throws a piece of aluminum at you*rotfl

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Good thing you didn't have any luggage !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts