The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi.
No insurance no pink card.
I have not yet done the belt nor tensioner. Put out an ad for some help. Lots of replies.
Serge really would like to help!!!
Seems like a nice guy.
Anyway. I took the car out tonoght for about 20minutes.
I bitched about the steering before but that was when there was some snow on the ground.
Snow is gone and the steering is just great. It does have about a 2 degree off center though.
I complained about the boost guage not working before!
Isaw today that the boost guage ISworking just fine.
Acceleration when was proper was almost violent!! Very maniacle!
First real chance to let her fly. And Man she flew.
Wow!
Car is a gokart in which I had one once.
Steering is cerebral. Now-Now.
Have to get over a problem to focus on the car.
Wonderful.

Seems that the car is working just swell.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Glad to hear about your responsible nature. Good thing you didn't hit anyone/anything. Great to know you're far away.

San

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
You really should drive more responsibly and at least get your paperwork in order for them to take away! As you get used to the car you will get to know it better and may find other things to do. The steering should be centered, that is one of the indicators of a problem so it should be right so you know when something is wrong. Check your tire pressures but it may need a tie rod adjustment or the steering wheel is not centered on the steering shaft. You should not be pushing the car hard until you KNOW you have recent timing belts, tensioners, etc. Then you can go out and have all the fun you can handle. A Lotus in proper tune is awesome but if you do not stay ahead of the car you can quickly get into more trouble than you may be able to handle. Especially on the street.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
206 Posts
Outstanding to hear about the very fun ride--the rush of the engine behind you is so different than a front-engine car; it feels like a slowly building wave you're riding atop...it can be addictive. Fantastic to hear you had her out and you felt that "tidal rush"! Not so fantastic to then understand the car was uninsured...

Now...be sure to park that beautiful, unfinished car, ensure everything is in order, and make sure you have insurance on it, and make sure you've attended to all its possible issues, before you take it out again.

Although my car was, quite literally, sitting on a bed of crushed stone, surrounded by tall weeds and covered by spiderwebs and patiently-waiting spiders (including one particularly beautiful green-and-gold specimen) when I purchased her, I still made sure I not only transferred the title (which in Pennsylvania required making a pencil rubbing of the VIN off the door plate), and had my wife drive me 45 minutes south to Grundy classic automobile insurance to get my insurance (the also required pictures of the car). They charged me a yearly payment of around US $170.00.

Only then did I get a ride to where it was parked, put in a new battery and 18 liters of premium unleaded gas, and drive her off.

In Pennsylvania, after you transfer a title and do a bill of sale, you have ten days to get that car inspected--enough time, presumably, to drive to various service stations as well as to drive the car to your home from the place of purchase. Thus, I was still legally able to drive the fifteen or so miles home--with a smashed windshield, rust-clogged in-line fuel filter (which Ragtops & Roadsters had very smartly installed to save the new fuel pumps and accumulator), collapsed shock absorbers, and dry rotted tires--at exactly the speed limit. Again: my car was fully street-legal when I took her home and hobbled about a few township streets.

After Day 11, she was no longer legal to drive on PA streets. I also spoke directly to my local police department and was told that some officers love cars, and would let it 'slide', but some officers absolutely hate people who drive 'fancy' cars and would 'throw the book' at [me] if they caught me driving without inspection or emissions. So, my car has stayed off the road.

However, the main reason she stays off the road is because, at 42,000 miles, and with an unknown full service history after the late '90s, I am going to postpone driving her until I've attended to the various issues that can cause a catastrophic loss--including the timing belt and circlip issues.

Seeing as you have posted here with such obvious care for your car (and have a family who supports you), I sincerely hope you do the same!

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
276 Posts
Great to hear you got her out for a good run.

There was a day when the nanny-ist Big Brothers didn't rule the world and you could, well, just take a car out for a run. It was called freedom. Unfortunately, that day is gone.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Few weeks back I drove the unregistered uninsured Elise maybe 5 miles to the body shop, followed by a friend.

Felt like we were doing a sizable drug deal. Or how I'd guess that would have felt.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Great to hear you got her out for a good run.

There was a day when the nanny-ist Big Brothers didn't rule the world and you could, well, just take a car out for a run. It was called freedom. Unfortunately, that day is gone.
You still can. But without insurance and required documents to legally use public roads you're likely to pay a hefty price.

I remember when you could drink and drive and even without a license all the police asked was to dump out the beer and put a valid driver in the driver's seat. You're right, those days are gone.

San

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Good to hear it ran well but don't take the chance of driving illegally. Besides the risk factor law enforcement has the ability to impound the car!

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Good to hear it ran well but don't take the chance of driving illegally. Besides the risk factor law enforcement has the ability to impound the car!
Good point. For some crimes law enforcement can keep the property.

San

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ahh... another advantage of living in Sweet Home Alabama! Still reasonably free. For rebuilds, "in the midst of work" - ie test drives, and new purchase within last 5 days... no registration required. The driver is supposed to have limited liability, but no other insurance is required for the car. Only the driver. And then if you are withing 10 miles of unloading to drive it home you'll prob be okay if not driving like you stole it.

Glad to hear the car runs well! But now... well... LOL

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Ahh... another advantage of living in Sweet Home Alabama! Still reasonably free. For rebuilds, "in the midst of work" - ie test drives, and new purchase within last 5 days... no registration required. The driver is supposed to have limited liability, but no other insurance is required for the car. Only the driver. And then if you are withing 10 miles of unloading to drive it home you'll prob be okay if not driving like you stole it.

Glad to hear the car runs well! But now... well... LOL
I spent the last year of my Air Force career in Montgomery Alabama. There wasn't anything "sweet" about it IMHO. And Montgomery is the capitol.

I like Lynyrd Skynyrd but I couldn't make the positive connection to Alabama.

San

·
Registered
913 Posts
When I was in my early twenties I drove illegal for about a year, no license, that was the worst ever, I had bad dreams, I was always looking over my shoulder. I dated this psychologist once that told me the bad dreams were a sign of guilt LOL. She was right. I am a straight and narrow guy now. Of course I did drive my business' bucket truck home from three states away with the license plate from my Avalanche on it. It broke down in this small town, at a corner, right in front of a phone pole, the police drove passed and I swear I think they thought I was with the phone company, they kept going and I got it towed, but I can say I was sweating it.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,312 Posts
Mike

If you lived in the USA, the TSA would have noticed your post and threw you into Solitary Confinement by now. :no:

Wouldn't they? LOL I thought they monitored EVERYTHING... :crazyeyes :panic:

J/K

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Mike

If you lived in the USA, the TSA would have noticed your post and threw you into Solitary Confinement by now. :no:

Wouldn't they? LOL I thought they monitored EVERYTHING... :crazyeyes :panic:

J/K
You mean NSA. TSA doesn't monitor much.

San

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,312 Posts
You mean NSA. TSA doesn't monitor much.

San
Yup, My bad (I think)

But the TSA DOES give the most satisfying rub-downs... rotfl

+++++++++++++++

Seriously, It's always wise to at least have your car insured, even if it isn't road-worthy (or in Mike's case, not being used due to Winter in the Great White North).

If the garage burns down, damage to the car will not usually be covered (at least in the USA)

Amusing anecdote: Many classic car insurers request pictures of the car they are insuring. One individual, who bought an unassembled "project", sent the Insurance Agent a picture of lots of parts, spread out on his living room floor... rotfl

·
Registered
480 Posts
TSA stands for Thousands Standing Around.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello.
When I wrote the title of my thread I drove the car illegally,it wasnt meant how daring or against the system I am.
Driving a vehicle without all documents for myself anyways means absolute anticipation!
I am not reckless. Moreso boring and a soldier.
It was just the right time to drive it.
I live by a large park and I did not take it on the main street. It was more like 7 minutes.
I know it was wrong but Once in awhile you must be a little less cleaner than Skeeners peener.

The last time I drove the car there was a bit of snow on the road here and there. I figure this gave me the wrong conclusion to any steering proplems with the car.
I never would have guessed how sensitive the car is....?
Anyway, I still have to detail the car perfectly and fix a few things.
Just hard to gain momentum when other big problems arise.
Mike E.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Hello.
When I wrote the title of my thread I drove the car illegally,it wasnt meant how daring or against the system I am.
Driving a vehicle without all documents for myself anyways means absolute anticipation!
I am not reckless. Moreso boring and a soldier.
It was just the right time to drive it.
I live by a large park and I did not take it on the main street. It was more like 7 minutes.
I know it was wrong but Once in awhile you must be a little less cleaner than Skeeners peener.

The last time I drove the car there was a bit of snow on the road here and there. I figure this gave me the wrong conclusion to any steering proplems with the car.
I never would have guessed how sensitive the car is....?
Anyway, I still have to detail the car perfectly and fix a few things.
Just hard to gain momentum when other big problems arise.
Mike E.
I guess the rules are more lenient in Canada. If you were to have a problem and no paperwork, even if it isn't your fault, here in the States, you would wind up in deep sh-t. Unless you are a policeman I doubt you will be talking your way out of that!
David Teitelbaum

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Well if the insurance policy on his other car is full coverage I think they cover new car purchase for a certain amount of days before he has to call it in to the insurance company. In that case all he would be guilty of is no current registration. If the title is purchase dated beyond the grace period he is screwed if he gets caught or something happens. Have no idea what the Alberta laws or penalties are.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts