The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car apparently didn't want to be titled nor registered. Just crossed 2000 miles... just had a nice half-day drive two days ago... drove it to the DMV this morning without incident... and when I came out after paying taxes and title and registration, I started the engine and the airbag tell-tale light flashed and then stayed on.

A quick search reveals this often happens after a battery disconnect, charge, reconnect, or replacement. None of those things have happened. Engine started instantly like usual, indicating a nice strong battery.

I'm going to call my dealer but it's a 700 mile round trip. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Check airbag connector under driver and passenger seats to make sure neither is loose. If you drove your car regularly recently, it is safe to assume its not a run down battery so I wouldn't bother checking battery.

Even if you fix root cause, you will need dealer or a service shop with "Lotus Tech Center" (usually only authorized dealers have the software) to deactivate airbag light. No way around that.There's a particular model Foxwell scanner that is reported to be able to deactive the light for old Evora S models, but none have been reported as working for Evora 400 or newer.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
I have found black tape to conveniently eliminate that stupid little issue permanently. Works well for the brake light also from the ABS sensor that works perfectly but won't clear that pesky code either after a low fluid message years ago after a couple aggressive track days that used up a whole set of pads, and, in turn, required fluid Welcome to Lotus world

Reactions: TEP1

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with the dealer in Bellevue. The Lotus Tech (I've met him, great guy) agrees "low voltage" is the only thing that can cause that other than an actual airbag problem. The engine has been starting nice and strong the whole time so there's no chance the battery is weak... besides, it's a very new battery even if it was installed in Hethel.

I can live with the light being on for a while. It's not worth a 700 mile round trip to clear a light. We agreed to address it in the Spring when I bring it over for its ~annual checkup (and brake fluid replacement). We'll still be well within the warranty so there shouldn't be any charges to clear the error and/or correct any actual problem.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have found black tape to conveniently eliminate that stupid little issue permanently. Welcome to Lotus world
Yeah, I understand this is one of those "Lotus things". Even the dealer admitted that on the phone. I'm not going to stick black tape anywhere just yet. I can live with it until the Spring.

Funny that after 10 years of production there are still little details like this. Makes me wonder if it's something within the airbags themselves, something that Lotus doesn't have direct control over. They just get a signal out of the airbags that indicates "problem", as defined by the airbag subcontractor, without the ability to dig in and resolve it. I've had a few issues like that over the years and the standard way to deal with them is to track their frequency of occurrance and the time between them. That way you can ignore false positives yet still report actual errors. But maybe in the case of an automobile the legally "safe" thing is to just report everything rather than inserting your own intelligence - and potentially accepting liability in the process. Who knows. I swear lawyers and politicians take all the fun out of life sometimes.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
I believe you are correct herer. Secondary messaging with no known pathway.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Airbag light could mean a problem with airbag so it becomes a safety issue, while it probably isnt you could use that to tell them to either send a flatbed to get it or a tech with a reader.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone suggested disconnecting the battery to clear this. That would mean the error is not saved in nonvolatile memory. Frankly I think that's rather likely... why save such an error through a true power cycle if the condition is gone when you come back alive.

Anyone know if this works? I know to wait 30+ minutes after last engine operation before disconnecting, etc. I just don't know if it has a chance of working or if it's an old wive's tale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pretty sure when you replaced all those incandescent bulbs and their purely resistive loads with LEDs and their EMI backfeed, harmonics and transients, you've injected a bit of dirty electricity in your car's electrical environment. Have you bothered to measure the dirty electricity with a Stetzer or Greenwave EMI meter?

Just kidding mate (probably). No idea what's going on with your airbag light. LOL

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha ha ha... don't get me started. I have plenty of equipment here to characterize the electrical environment of the Lotus. Scopes to 1 GHz, spectrum analyzers to 13 GHz, countless probes.

I have to say, before I saw your "Just kidding" footnote I got a little excited about connecting up the car's electrical system and documenting its conducted and radiated EMI behavior. Yeah, I'm a nerd!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Ha ha ha... don't get me started. I have plenty of equipment here to characterize the electrical environment of the Lotus. Scopes to 1 GHz, spectrum analyzers to 13 GHz, countless probes.

I have to say, before I saw your "Just kidding" footnote I got a little excited about connecting up the car's electrical system and documenting its conducted and radiated EMI behavior. Yeah, I'm a nerd!
As someone who attempted to install an FM/AM radio in a '67 Elan where there was none, I can assure you that even the most simple and basic automotive electrical systems are extremely electrically "noisy." YMMV

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
101 Posts
Sorry that you are having this problem with your brand new and expensive car. I hope you can get everything figured out without too many trips to Seattle. When I first got mine (it was used) I had the passenger door latch fail shortly after getting it and had to wait 2 weeks to get a replacement and pay $800. I though maybe I made a mistake in buying it and was wondering what other problems would come up but now after 8 months of ownership I'm happy I bought the car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My airbag light has been on for 4 years(due to battery replacement), I hardly even notice it anymore. I’d be far more annoyed if it were anew car

·
Registered
222 Posts
The problem with ignoring the air bag light or putting a piece of tape over it is will the air bag still inflate if it needs to in a crash?

·
Orange
151 Posts
There was a discussion about that, nobody knows and nobody has tested it, I would not take the risk.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Depending on the fault it could impact it. I'd expect that when there is a fault the car may deploy all the airbags when it otherwise may not (like deploying the passenger airbag when there is no passenger)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Reviewing the Evora service doc for the seat belts and airbags, it says: "Faults concerning the voltage supply (overvoltage/undervoltage) will lead to tell tale activation only until the regular voltage range has been reached again (turn-off delay max. 5s after return from undervoltage and max. 20s after return from overvoltage). There are no related trouble codes."

"Only until" suggests to me that battery discharge problems, once corrected (by recharging, new battery, etc.), would allow the light to go out. In my case that strongly suggests I have a connector problem somewhere. But for those who have had their battery discharge, it sounds like the light should self-correct once system voltage has been restored. That's not what most people have reported as their experience... most have had to take some sort of action to "clear" the light.

This correlates with most people reporting they found no trouble codes, too. The above strongly suggests that battery voltage issues will not generate a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code), so there's no DTC to read nor clear. The light is simply reporting a transitory supply voltage issue and the light goes out when proper system voltage is restored.

EDIT: This behavior makes good engineering sense. When the engine is being cranked, battery voltage can drop a LOT. If the SRS "locked" on a low-voltage condition you could be dealing with it all the time. Indicating a low-voltage condition while it exists, but clearing the warning once voltage has been restored, is exactly the proper way to deal with that.

Just reporting what I found in the docs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The problem with ignoring the air bag light or putting a piece of tape over it is will the air bag still inflate if it needs to in a crash?
If the airbag does not inflate because the airbag light is on, I would not want to think what may happen to the driver and or passenger. It is a big gamble.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's definitely a gamble, but cars existed for decades before airbags. Heck, driving at all is a gamble. Each person must assess the risks for themselves. Speaking solely for me, if the light doesn't correct itself I'll definitely get it fixed under warranty next spring but I'm not going to add another 50% to the odometer of a brand new car when that car is going into winter storage in a few weeks.

To be honest, based on everything I've read here and other forums and the Lotus service docs, I'd say there's an even chance it self-corrects. I'm going to take a look at the connectors that can be reached without removing the seats in case there's some low-hanging fruit that solves the problem. Otherwise I'm not going to dig into it too deeply because airbag stuff can get expensive fast and I don't want anyone claiming I caused the problem and denying warranty coverage.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts