The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DRS now has an option to improve upon the Radium turbo kit. Our system utilizes the Radium manifold and modified downpipe, a water-to-air intercooler solution that is a collaborated effort with DMC, specially developed intake for Exige rear clam, and plumbing all developed by DRS.

DRS built engine with Cosworth pistons and rods, specialized cylinder head porting, high performance cams, and many airflow improvements all contribute towards improved efficiency. This example is making Superflow 375 Whp / 269 WTrq ( = 431 DynoJet Whp / 309 DJ Trq) @ 17 psi boost.

More pics and information coming soon.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Very clean setup, nice #'s:) Which Turbo are you using? 2871 or a 30R?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The radiator for the intercooler is located at the front of the car. We used the OEM water lines for HVAC for part of the plumbing.

Filler tank in rear for ease of service

Left side oil cooler repurposed as Intecooler rad #2 (the right front oil cooler is still used for oil)

Additional capacity via water tank in front bulkhead of chassis. Total system capacity is 2 Gal.

DMC intercooler core

Removed the 3" to 2.5" reducer on the Radium exhaust and welded on 3" outlet connected to 3" pipe all the way to tailpipe. No muffler on this car for now. It really isn't that loud since the turbo reduces the exhaust noise inherently.

PCV via -12 AN port added to VC

Engine mapping via our beloved X2 EFI System. The PnP module plugs right into the stock wire harness and allows for adding in several additonal inputs not supported by the stock ECU. Such as analogue oil pressure, fuel pressure, oil temp, wideband Lambda control, and utilizes engine protection.

Engine cooling via large single pass radiator developed by Brent Bauman, a fellow LCUSA racer.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2" to 2.5" discharge pipe, 3 to 3.5" inlet pipe w/ ITG air filter, and 3" intercooler outlet pipe with TiAl BOV fitted.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll bet that intercooler is a vast improvement over the air/air unit supplied by radium!
We opted to not even attempt the air-to-air method. We already know from experience how well this water-to-air solution works. Our intake temps were only 87 F to 95 F on dyno running at 17 psi with multiple runs back-to-back. Under continuous heavy loads the air temp would creep up to 125 F and then immediately cools right back to ~ 90 F after only seconds.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts

. No muffler on this car for now. It really isn't that loud....
I'll take that with just one tiny grain of salt.. ;)

Very impressive to see the depth and completeness of this solution!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey Kris, this stuff sounds pretty familiar! It sounds good - the turbo is pretty much a muffler anyway, right? :cool: I'll be sure to post some impressions once I get the car; can't wait to get some track time in!

Very clean setup, nice #'s:) Which Turbo are you using? 2871 or a 30R?
The turbo is a GTX2867R.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Kris/DRS,

Wow, some impressive HP/TQ numbers for only 17 psi. Great work guys.

Vladski,

Contact Robbie M. and bring your car to Thunderhill Dec 22nd while it's still in CA, private test day and a lot of track time. Would love to see it in action.

Rob

·
Registered
64 Posts
Kris/DRS,

Wow, some impressive HP/TQ numbers for only 17 psi. Great work guys.

Vladski,

Contact Robbie M. and bring your car to Thunderhill Dec 22nd while it's still in CA, private test day and a lot of track time. Would love to see it in action.

Rob
Rob, thanks for the offer but I should have the car back here soon. Thunderhill is a sweet track but the 850 mile trip there makes it unfeasible for me.

Kris can you can post a dyno sheet so we can see the hp curve
I'd like to see this too, haha. Will report on boost when I get some seat time.

More pics and video are posted on the DRS Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DRS/114925928535278.

Kris and his team have put an UNBELIEVABLE amount of work into this project over a very short amount of time. I cannot recommend them enough.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here ya go...

Our Superflow Dyno measures 15% less than a typical DynoJet. We have tested cars on both machines back-to-back on the same day to derive this.

In these runs you can see the consistency is very good. This is even with making small changes to camshaft timing (VVT) near the switch-over (VVL).

This type of engine favors the cam switch-over later than most SC engines for best overall torque.

Boost starts to ramp up ~ 3,500 RPM, but then really takes off ~ 4,700 RPM.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Nice power band, are you guys using a stock gear box? That car must be so much fun!:shift:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
what size intercooler is that, I have been using a similar set up for a few years now.
12x12x4inch thick from bell intercoolers

·
Registered
463 Posts
dont you think the intake is just going to get a bunch of hot air when the clam is on? i know there is a little air that comes from the roof scoop but majority of the air the turbo will breathe is going to be heated from the motor?

did you remove the heater and a/c? looks like the condenser might be gone but can be sure..

is that small canister the only place to load water in the intercooler? how will you fit ice for track days?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts