The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

DRS has a new turbo solution

13K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  DMC Comp 
#1 ·
DRS now has an option to improve upon the Radium turbo kit. Our system utilizes the Radium manifold and modified downpipe, a water-to-air intercooler solution that is a collaborated effort with DMC, specially developed intake for Exige rear clam, and plumbing all developed by DRS.

DRS built engine with Cosworth pistons and rods, specialized cylinder head porting, high performance cams, and many airflow improvements all contribute towards improved efficiency. This example is making Superflow 375 Whp / 269 WTrq ( = 431 DynoJet Whp / 309 DJ Trq) @ 17 psi boost.

More pics and information coming soon.

See less See more
#9 ·
We opted to not even attempt the air-to-air method. We already know from experience how well this water-to-air solution works. Our intake temps were only 87 F to 95 F on dyno running at 17 psi with multiple runs back-to-back. Under continuous heavy loads the air temp would creep up to 125 F and then immediately cools right back to ~ 90 F after only seconds.

#6 ·
The radiator for the intercooler is located at the front of the car. We used the OEM water lines for HVAC for part of the plumbing.

Filler tank in rear for ease of service

Left side oil cooler repurposed as Intecooler rad #2 (the right front oil cooler is still used for oil)

Additional capacity via water tank in front bulkhead of chassis. Total system capacity is 2 Gal.

DMC intercooler core

Removed the 3" to 2.5" reducer on the Radium exhaust and welded on 3" outlet connected to 3" pipe all the way to tailpipe. No muffler on this car for now. It really isn't that loud since the turbo reduces the exhaust noise inherently.

PCV via -12 AN port added to VC

Engine mapping via our beloved X2 EFI System. The PnP module plugs right into the stock wire harness and allows for adding in several additonal inputs not supported by the stock ECU. Such as analogue oil pressure, fuel pressure, oil temp, wideband Lambda control, and utilizes engine protection.

Engine cooling via large single pass radiator developed by Brent Bauman, a fellow LCUSA racer.

#13 ·
Kris/DRS,

Wow, some impressive HP/TQ numbers for only 17 psi. Great work guys.

Vladski,

Contact Robbie M. and bring your car to Thunderhill Dec 22nd while it's still in CA, private test day and a lot of track time. Would love to see it in action.

Rob

#16 ·
Rob, thanks for the offer but I should have the car back here soon. Thunderhill is a sweet track but the 850 mile trip there makes it unfeasible for me.

Kris can you can post a dyno sheet so we can see the hp curve
I'd like to see this too, haha. Will report on boost when I get some seat time.

More pics and video are posted on the DRS Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DRS/114925928535278.

Kris and his team have put an UNBELIEVABLE amount of work into this project over a very short amount of time. I cannot recommend them enough.

#17 ·
Here ya go...

Our Superflow Dyno measures 15% less than a typical DynoJet. We have tested cars on both machines back-to-back on the same day to derive this.

In these runs you can see the consistency is very good. This is even with making small changes to camshaft timing (VVT) near the switch-over (VVL).

This type of engine favors the cam switch-over later than most SC engines for best overall torque.

Boost starts to ramp up ~ 3,500 RPM, but then really takes off ~ 4,700 RPM.

#20 ·
dont you think the intake is just going to get a bunch of hot air when the clam is on? i know there is a little air that comes from the roof scoop but majority of the air the turbo will breathe is going to be heated from the motor?

did you remove the heater and a/c? looks like the condenser might be gone but can be sure..

is that small canister the only place to load water in the intercooler? how will you fit ice for track days?

#21 ·
The road test (lower speed) so far do not indicate an increase in air temp, but there is always the option of ducting air from the right side scoop towards the air filter if we see higher temps in track data (higher overall speed should help).

There are two water tanks for the intercooler. One is up front where the HVAC used to be and the other small one in the rear is for easier servicability.

You could put ice in the front tank if you wanted, but the system is already pretty good at temp control. I.e. the dyno room temp was 79 F and the intake temp (after intercooler) was only 87 F to 95 F during running under load.

#22 ·
i have mine ducting from the right side scoop it wraps around the motor to the right.
ice plays a big factor where i live in vegas for occasional drag passes or even track days just cause it get so hot here. the front is a viable option but hard to get to even with the access panels. still doable tho.
i like it so far it def helps that vlad has an e153 to. im working on mine now, decided not to go with the monkey wrench kit and drill the bell housing and attach it directly to the block like a normal setup.

good work

#25 ·
Just thought I'd overlay my old M62 air/air 14 psi setup 287 wHP / 188 TQ dyno numbers (from a DynoJet) ... adjusted for 15% dyno difference. (these are cold numbers not typical track numbers, I'd loose about 20-30 wHP on track - compared my cold IAT numbers because they are about the same as DRS max IAT numbers).

With the exception of a tiny torque window from 3600 - 3900, this Turbo setup looks impressive. I have a "from ground up" salvaged Elise project in the early planning stages and I was debating which FI route to use, but after seeing this dyno chart I'm leaning towards a Turbo setup ... doesn't seem like lag is much of an issue.

:up:

Rob.

Attachments

#28 ·
I drove this car today! Kris you didn't tell me you were out he to drop off Vlad's car. Its a well-sorted beast! With the taller gearing in the e153, you don't rip the tires loose in 2nd, forget about first though. :) Very progressive boost build. Very streetable and will be a beast on the track with Vlad behind the wheel, no doubt!

#29 ·
Fred, I was keeping the delivery of the "vehicle" (aka "The Machine", aka "Stress test on wheels", aka "Get ready for blast off") a secret due to concerns of this information leaking out and jeopardizing my safety. The "product" was delivered at an undisclosed location under satellite surveillance, disguised of course, and then Vlad was de-briefed on procedures. He has gone through rigourous training the last 2 months to prepare mentally and physically for operations. I am grateful to report that he did well.

#32 · (Edited)
Why not run the water to air inter cooler at the side scoop since it is not being used from what I can see?
with both side scoops is there a way to run the air to water cooler in the back

If you get 87 F to 95 F during running under load. What type of temp do you get with
a simple air to air intercooler like a force fed system? I am trying to understand the gain of the water to air cooler.

thanks
Ed

#33 ·
The heat exchanger for the intercooler is in front of the car to get the best airflow / cooling. The intercooler core resides in the same location as the air-to-air would. The benefits of the water-to-air are significant on these cars due to packaging. Unlike a front engine car where an air-to-air can simply be in the frontal area benefiting from all the airflow.

Kris

#37 ·
Cost can vary slightly depending on what we use for plumbing, the engine configuration, etc... The best thing to do is contact us directly and we can discuss the options in more detail. We can offer a replica of exactly what this car has, or alter it to your specific needs.

Shop ph # 562-694-2226
email: kris@racesolutions.com

Or visit us in person and you can see first hand what we do and what we have to offer.

Kris

#38 ·
Big, Reliable Turbo Power...

Yes Kris, 500 is a LOT in one of these cars. As the guy that built the first 400 HP ForcedFed system I can tell you that's a lot of beans!

The FF car when I drove it was a little detuned and would almost go in the 10's in the quarter mile at well over 130mph.

I suspect that this car, with the right rubber, tuning and driven right might be 9 second capable in the quarter. That's a car that on a road course, even a novice will smoke everbody with!

Very impressive results and good packaging. Front mount heat exchange just makes sense - these cars need front weight anyway. And lets face it, the most reliable cold air is really up there. Thats how Mercedes does it with their AMG TT V-12 cars and it really does a superior job at keeping the intake charge consistantly cool - no heat soaking like with the Air to Air stuff we see.

That's why we are doing so many of these ForcedFed Liquid to Air upgrades for the older FF275 and 380's. It really allows the tuner to wake these things up.

Kudos Kris.:shift:

Jim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.