The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cylinder head is back from Kris (Dynamic Racing Solutions).

Some pics including before/after

Kris will send me the flow data/charts -- apparently it flowed a little better than Fred's ... oops (hope Fred doesn't read this) ;)

India Pale Ale was provided for Kris's long work and weekend hours.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Kris does amazing work!....thanks for the pics.

Let us know how she runs once you're rebuilt!

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope to have everything ready for a test firing next weekend (probably late Sunday night). Not sure when I'll get to a dyno, but I realize folks like to see those numbers so I'll get too it -- just not a big priority.

Rob.

·
shay2nak
25,128 Posts
look forward to the results. :)

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Lookin good:up:!

·
Vendor
3,463 Posts
Kris will send me the flow data/charts -- apparently it flowed a little better than Fred's ... oops (hope Fred doesn't read this) ;)
QUOTE]

Grrrrrr @#$%@!%@ rotfl

I think you will be pleased.....

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh crap, spotted by Fred -- oh well, you'd find out sooner or later - heh.

I have Phil's super duper pooper scooper EFI map now, so I'll get that loaded and see where I stand. Our cars are pretty close in spec now except MP62 vs TVS, IC vs. IC-less, and DBW vs. standard TB

Just got some wiring issues to resolve -- if not by this weekend, definitely by next weekend 3/28 --- errr....oh wait Wife's B-Day on 3/27 ... maybe by 4/4 :)

P.S. -- just got confirmation Phil's fuel delivery solution is on the FedEx truck...wooohooo! Hopefully headers will arrive this week and I'm golden.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I let you know when I dyno it.

I hoping the port will provide a wider torque range a tad more HP and reduce my post IC air charge temps a little. But as you can see from my pics, the stock ports have considerable casting imperfections.

I know the rumor is that porting isn't effective for a FI car, however that doesn't explain why every single race team I've had the opportunity to talk to ports their heads on FI applications. If there was nothing to be gain, these folks wouldn't do it.

I'm not expecting to see big HP gains, but I would like to see an nice big Torque curve.

Fred had great success with Kris's head work but obviously he's running other considerably different components, boost levels, and fuel.

But you maybe right Boosted, just have to wait and see.

Rob

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Rob, I think Boosted was referring to the air injection ports on the exhaust side... The earlier heads lacked those ports and are more desirable for that reason. The ports blocked off and not used on the Lotus, but the holes are still in the ports...

If that's what you were addressing, then sorry to add confusion...

Best,

Phil

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Understand, still not sure why that's a big deal on the exhaust side as it will not affect pressure recovery (it's blocked off at the header). But could you folks expand on why you think this IS a big deal? Sounds like I have something to learn.

Rob

·
Registered
822 Posts
Oh, theres nothign wrong with porting a 2ZZ head - I've been doing it for years. What I was refering to is that I published the info on the heads like 2 years ago - the air injection head flows a good 12 CFM less than the non air injeciton head on the exhaust side due to the turbulence from the ports. You can REDUCE it with porting, but not eliminate it, which is why I tell all the people I do heads for to buy an original style core to use, as they are starting off ahead of the game.

You can hear the difference clearly when you flow the heads - the air injection heads SCREAM because of the turbulence.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gottcha, yeah that makes sense. My head is my original head, didn't pop for a new core.

Rob

·
Registered
822 Posts
We tested the flow of a non-EGR head after porting and there was no advantage or disadvantage.

Maybe stock vs. stock there is a difference, but I don't have that data.

Kris
Its not EGR - its air injection, but yes - stock to stock there is a 12 CFM difference. There are also some pretty major differences in localized airspeed and turbulence.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Its not EGR - its air injection, but yes - stock to stock there is a 12 CFM difference. There are also some pretty major differences in localized airspeed and turbulence.
I was typing faster than i was thinking. Yes, air-injection.

I'd be curious to flow stock vs. stock. We didn's see a diff after porting. I'd like to see your data too.

Kris

·
Registered
750 Posts
Rob, I need to send you one of the latest maps from another Exige S I tuned with the new firmware. I just need to make some changes for your new lower CR.

Kris

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok Kris -- but Phil sent me his Map, I was just gonna use that since his setup if very similar to mine (excluding DBW). But please do send me a map, the more the merrier :)

Rob

·
Registered
822 Posts
I was typing faster than i was thinking. Yes, air-injection.

I'd be curious to flow stock vs. stock. We didn's see a diff after porting. I'd like to see your data too.

Kris
Its been a couple years since we did the baseline testing - I'll have to go digging on my computer and see if we still have it or not.

My bench is bi-directional, so I'm testing the exhaust at 28" of pressure blowing out through in the proper orientation, and you may be getting different results if you are not testing the same way.

We've also observed VERY erratic airspeed readings and huge turbulence at the air injection port when checking with my airspeed pitot around the crossover between the 2 runners.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts