The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some pics of our turbo build on a Lotus 211 GT4 car. Formerly Supercharged with Rev300. In effort to make more power efficiently with less boost and reduced intake temps we elected to turbo charge this engine. Utilizing Garrett GTX2863R. DRS built engine, Cosworth pistons, DRS ported head, and a variety of other ingredients. The response is incredible with virtually no 'lag' and the combination is complimented nicely by the X2 ECU Flat-Shift and Auto-Blip software.

Custom Intake for real cold air induction utilizing the 211 air scoop that was used originally to cool air-to-air intercooler with OEM SC.

Water-to-Air intercooler system

Super light weight exhaust

Dry Sump Oil System with Dailey Engineering (S111) base kit. We used the ARE 3 Gal oil tank. The tank is covered when in use to protect the driver.

All plumbing with XRP hoses and hose ends.

This package has proven to have potential thus far after debut at first Lotus Cup USA event at AAA Speedway with an overall win in Race #1. A spin in race #2 resulted in a second place finish though. The most recent event at Chuckwalla started out well, but a slipping clutch ended any chance of winning.

Please contact us for more details if interested in learning more about what parts or services we can offer.

Kris

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wow that's a big oil tank ... Would like to hear the reasoning behind it ?
I am just fitting a dry sump to my 211 ...and using the BOE set up inside the engine bay , but tank is much smaller than what you are using .
I am aware that the larger the tank the less cavitation and foaming of the oil .. But the size and position you are using must surely add a lot of weight and perhaps complications ?

How did you find the fit of the Sector dry sump ? Any problems .

Build looks great and it sounds like you have got it well sorted ... What are the lap times compared to the Rev 300 ?

My build includes a Rev400 / dry sump / quaife sequential ... Engine is remaining standard until next year when a full upgrade is planned .
Hope to see a decrease of 2-3 seconds in lap time .... " hope " is the important word in that sentence !!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow that's a big oil tank ... Would like to hear the reasoning behind it ?
I am just fitting a dry sump to my 211 ...and using the BOE set up inside the engine bay , but tank is much smaller than what you are using .
I am aware that the larger the tank the less cavitation and foaming of the oil .. But the size and position you are using must surely add a lot of weight and perhaps complications ?

How did you find the fit of the Sector dry sump ? Any problems .

Build looks great and it sounds like you have got it well sorted ... What are the lap times compared to the Rev 300 ?

My build includes a Rev400 / dry sump / quaife sequential ... Engine is remaining standard until next year when a full upgrade is planned .
Hope to see a decrease of 2-3 seconds in lap time .... " hope " is the important word in that sentence !!!
We have no issues with the fitment of the Sector dry sump. It's a nice piece of equipment. Not cheap...but very nice.

We opted to use this tank for a few reasons. This car came homologated as a GT4 car. It came with a dry sump from Lotus, but the system they provided needed improvements. It suffered from cavitation with a smaller tank. This car also does not have air cooled oil coolers in the front and uses a Mocal heat exchanger, so the cooling system efficiency and capacities are critical for engine life in a racing environment.

For example, the car originally came with M62 blower making 275 Hp @ 12 psi at engine. In bone stock trim oil temps would reach 268 F in warm outings. Engine coolant would reach 210 F. Air temps would reach 180 F.

The first modifications (over 2 yrs ago) to the car were to improve engine calibration and temp control. We installed EFI X2 PnP ECU and Rev300 manifold/intercooler with our own front mounted heat exchanger and additional 1 Gal tank mounted in the front section where HVAC would be on a street car. We lowered the boost to 10 psi, but increased power to 325 Hp at engine. Engine temps were still on the high side, although air temp improved drastically to ~ 155 F

We then fitted a larger radiator

In the current configuration with turbo the boost is 13 psi peak, levels out to 10 psi. Air temps reduced to 135 F with power levels substantially higher. Engine temps so far are great. Coolant at 190 F racing in the desert with ambient of ~ 90 F and oil temp at 225 F.

Aside from the above, we also like having the oil tank more centered in the chassis. Servicing the car is easier with less clutter in the engine compartment. Oil pressure is very stable and no cavitation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts