The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to hook up multiple computers to the DSL?

Currently, my DSL line is connected from the phone jack to the DSL modem, then to a router. There are 4 computers hooked up to the router now. Well, it was working ok for about a week when there were 2 computers getting online at the same time. Last night, it didn't work. I tried connecting the line from the modem to my laptop directly (bypassed the router), it was working fine. But as soon as I put everything back the way it was (with the router), it didn't work again.

I spoke with someone from Verizon (that's where I get my DSL service from), he told me that it wouldn't work properly if the DSL is hooked up through a router. Is he BS'ing me? Or is DSL just not the way to have multiple computers get online simultaneously?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
He's BS'ing you. They'd have to go through a lot of work to prevent people from using routers to share a connection.

So does it still work with just the two computers or not at all? Did you reset the router? Other than simple stuff like that, it gets really installation specific. What router do you have?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Netgear, probably. Unplug the power to the router for about 15 seconds to reset it.

Sometimes when the cable company changes my IP address, I have to reset the router to get it to accept the new address.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wkalman said:
Sometimes when the cable company changes my IP address, I have to reset the router to get it to accept the new address.
Does this happen often to DSL services?

Netgear sounds right. I'll try to reset it tonight. Thanks so much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts