The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Southbound 405 near Skirball, this large piece of steel is sailing through the air, having been kicked up by numerous trucks and SUVs. I performed a public service by removing this deadly hazard with my lower clam.

Time to go see Julio at Mulholland Motorsports again (btw, he did the custom front clam plate block removal mod that you see in the first pic!).

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nice catch!

Not the same (and I wish I had taken a picture), but I've picked up some sort of cottony packing material in the same fashion that gave my car a full beard!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Wow, nice catch indeed. Looks like an old-school, spring-loaded, rear license plate mount that one would pull down to reveal the gas tank opening behind it. Looks like one anyway. Either way, that sure was a close call.

Had a similar experience myself several years ago. Was following an SUV and noticed the rear license plate was dangling with only one screw. Didn't want to be behind that thing when it flew off. So, I switched lanes. And, lo and behold, it flew off. And, but of course, it flew directly at me in my lane anyway. Hit my windshield but fortunately landed flat instead of on the edge. So, it merely slid up and over and kept going.

Glad you're OK and that you know of a good body shop. Still blows, though.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Holy moly!!!! Glad you and no one else were hurt. Still sucks though. Hmmm, maybe our cars will visit each other.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I said good thing you were not hurt, but I bet that hurt like hell when you heard it hit!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Ugh I hate the 405 with a passion. My only route to and from work...

·
Registered
954 Posts
:crazyeyes Glad it hit your clam at that angle instead of your windshield! Things could have been much worse. Glad you're OK.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the condolences all - it appears to be some class of plate holder, but far more stout than anything you'd find on any automobile. It is a heavy gauge steel wrapped over 3/8" allthread bar stock. Had it hit the windshield, my wife would be posting a thread about my demise.

Hadn't thought about the potential Felipe Massa similarities, although I'm not sure what hurts more - a spring to the noggin at 170mph or being forced to submit to Alonso.

Yes April, our cars might be garage mates pretty soon!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
:eek:

That sucks Eric... so far I've been lucky enough to only get hit by tire carcasses and the occasional steel wire... :huh:

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Holy crap. Glad you didn't get hurt.

When you're in the shop have them fill in the seam running along the front of the clam. Looks so much cleaner without it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure if I'm a fan of the clam seam or turn signal delete - I had that option when I had Julio do the plate block delete.

I might consider an Exige front clam though - Maybe even an Exige rear clam, since agirls' car will be in the same time as mine. Think she'll notice if Julio swaps them out? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts